Vince Young a Head Case?

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
AP story.

"... Young didn't go to the team's offices Monday and postponed his MRI exam until Tuesday. He met with a psychologist at his home Monday along with Fisher and another team official.

Four hours of uncertainty followed Monday night when Young left his home without his phone, prompting someone at his home to call Fisher. He called police to help find the quarterback and had a meeting late Monday night with Young and police crisis negotiators at the team's headquarters. ..."

AP story.

"... Young didn't go to the team's offices Monday and postponed his MRI exam until Tuesday. He met with a psychologist at his home Monday along with Fisher and another team official.

Four hours of uncertainty followed Monday night when Young left his home without his phone, prompting someone at his home to call Fisher. He called police to help find the quarterback and had a meeting late Monday night with Young and police crisis negotiators at the team's headquarters. ..."

He obviously isn't taking his slow start in the NFL very well. Either way, I wish him the best in sorting this matter out.

I'm beginning to wonder if he's all done or not. From Young's mother:

Felicia Young said her son has grown weary of all the negativity he faces as an NFL star. On Monday, he indicated to those around him he didn’t want to play football any more.

“Vince has gone through a whole lot as a young person,’’ Felicia Young said. “And I think he has done pretty well up to this point. But it is hard, all he is going through right now. He’s hurting inside and out.

“But he will be fine if people are prayerful and help my baby boy out. He is a young man. He just needs a lot of love and support.’’

Young’s mother says Titans QB needs ‘love and support’ | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Poor little baby...the defense is out to get me, the fans hate me, it's so hard to be a NFL quarterback, oh woe is me! If only I could make 1/10th the money Mr. Young is getting to play football and secure my family's financial future in the process. Professional athletes need to learn the concepts of humility and gratitude.

Last weekend I spent $399 of my own money and 6-hours of my own time taking a stupid certification test, so I can keep my stupid job, while making pennies on Vince Young's dollars, while sh*t-for-brains throws around a football...and gets a good workout in the process.

And people ask me why I drink!:rolleyes:

Poor little baby...the defense is out to get me, the fans hate me, it's so hard to be a NFL quarterback, oh woe is me! If only I could make 1/10th the money Mr. Young is getting to play football and secure my family's financial future in the process. Professional athletes need to learn the concepts of humility and gratitude.

Last weekend I spent $399 of my own money and 6-hours of my own time taking a stupid certification test, so I can keep my stupid job, while making pennies on Vince Young's dollars, while sh*t-for-brains throws around a football...and gets a good workout in the process.

And people ask me why I drink!:rolleyes:
Ah well maybe if you had the skill you could! You don't know what these guys go through! For your information smart guy he has had a very ruff year! Family wise and personal! Also people don't seem to be as forgiving when the QB is a tad darker! He puts so much pressure on himself to win and do the right things in life and football!! Also he really thought he messed up his knee really bad! Heck he has been run over buy a car and had his insides laying on the ground next to him! Also his family life if very hard! So maybe just maybe you can come down from your pedestal and give the guy some slack!

I thought Aikman on PTI put it best tongiht: (not exactly said this way) Young has experienced so much success at Texas with having his number retired and playing in the greatest performance in the history of the game with his performance at USC . . .

on the other hand, I am a teacher who is increasingly moving into the gutter financially, so to Young I say: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I can't handle the pressure WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA in the words of Artie Lange!

Ah well maybe if you had the skill you could! You don't know what these guys go through! For your information smart guy he has had a very ruff year! Family wise and personal! Also people don't seem to be as forgiving when the QB is a tad darker! He puts so much pressure on himself to win and do the right things in life and football!! Also he really thought he messed up his knee really bad! Heck he has been run over buy a car and had his insides laying on the ground next to him! Also his family life if very hard! So maybe just maybe you can come down from your pedestal and give the guy some slack!

Give me a break!

See:

Chad Pennington
Kyle Boller
Drew Bledsoe

When Bledsoe was struggling in New England fan were calling for Michael Bishop to start.

Give me a break!

See:

Chad Pennington
Kyle Boller
Drew Bledsoe

When Bledsoe was struggling in New England fan were calling for Michael Bishop to start.

To take that a step further, many fans were pissed when Bishop was cut during the 2001 preseason in favor of Tom Brady!! :eek:

i never thought this guy would make it in the nfl anyway. even though he was successful in college. not many can make it in the NFL. I'm sad because of his emotional struggles which aren't easy to deal with and if he can't handle it that's fine. Personally i would take eggs and tomatoes thrown at me from the stands for sucking as a quarterback as long as I get my millions. So in that sense i don't feel sorry for the guy. He's set financially. Retire and take care of your problems and administer the money you got wisely. Have a nice life :)

Quarter backs that Went through that same intense pressure and criticism:

Dan Marino
John Elway
Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Jim Kelly
Drew Bledsoe
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Donovan Mcnabb
Vinny Testaverde
Warren Moon
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Phil Sims
and the list can go on and on. the point is that most of these guys had successful careers. winning superbowls with great teams. incredible individual achievements. some are in the Hall of fame. they all had to go through the pressure from every which way. they handled it like men and won many games for their teams and lost some too.

i never thought this guy would make it in the nfl anyway. even though he was successful in college. not many can make it in the NFL. I'm sad because of his emotional struggles which aren't easy to deal with and if he can't handle it that's fine. Personally i would take eggs and tomatoes thrown at me from the stands for sucking as a quarterback as long as I get my millions. So in that sense i don't feel sorry for the guy. He's set financially. Retire and take care of your problems and administer the money you got wisely. Have a nice life :)

Quarter backs that Went through that same intense pressure and criticism:

Dan Marino
John Elway
Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Jim Kelly
Drew Bledsoe
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Donovan Mcnabb
Vinny Testaverde
Warren Moon
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Phil Sims
and the list can go on and on. the point is that most of these guys had successful careers. winning superbowls with great teams. incredible individual achievements. some are in the Hall of fame. they all had to go through the pressure from every which way. they handled it like men and won many games for their teams and lost some too.

Oh really!! Well only two on your nice list can truly understand!! He gets threats on him and his family!! If you look at your list and the two will be easy to spot! If he would have had a drunken sex filled life and illegitimate children and sexual harassment he would have been the biggest pieces of crap! I could here this board now!! The other guy that every one said would be better then Vince. Has gone through all of this and is still not better then a 40 something year old QB!! Still you guy's and the media keep trying to make this other so called QB an all American QB! He is not and Vince has helped his team win games and gone to a pro bowl! Also i can also tell you this ALL of the Mannings are behind him and think he is one of the better QB's in the league. He gets called name only TWO on your list gets called. You can't even imagine if your mom is in the stands watching you and has to hear all of this! WOW!! I guess i should not be shocked at all.

Oh really!! Well only two on your nice list can truly understand!! He gets threats on him and his family!! If you look at your list and the two will be easy to spot! If he would have had a drunken sex filled life and illegitimate children and sexual harassment he would have been the biggest pieces of crap! I could here this board now!! The other guy that every one said would be better then Vince. Has gone through all of this and is still not better then a 40 something year old QB!! Still you guy's and the media keep trying to make this other so called QB an all American QB! He is not and Vince has helped his team win games and gone to a pro bowl! Also i can also tell you this ALL of the Mannings are behind him and think he is one of the better QB's in the league. He gets called name only TWO on your list gets called. You can't even imagine if your mom is in the stands watching you and has to hear all of this! WOW!! I guess i should not be shocked at all.

again, if you can handle the pressure in the NFL then get out. I don't feel sorry for him. I respect your opinion so respect mine. I've never cared what the media says. I have my own two eyes and ears. This guy is pure hype. When i've said that in the past when he began his career i was ripped a new one. Now more and more people are beginning to realize the same thing. Black Hitachi don't make this a personal thing between me and you. I have no beef with you. You're one of the more solid members around here. I respect you but this is how I feel. If he proves me wrong i'll be the 1st to admit I was wrong but in the meantime that's how I see it. :)

I personally didn't think he was a GREAT QB in college, but a great athlete that was basically allowed to do his thing on the field and a coaching staff at Texas that trusted him. In the NFL it is definately a different game. In the 7 years I worked in Chicago in sports media, I saw alot things the average "arm chair QBs" did not see and some of the pressures these athletes go through.

Usually, the 1st thing EVERYONE mentions is "but the money that guy makes....blah, blah, blah...." Let me tell you something, NONE of you guys, INCLUDING MYSELF, would trade your so called average lives for his. You cannot do normal every day things you and I do....eat in peace, shop in peace, taking a walk with your significant other in peace....go on vacation with your loved ones in peace, without SOMEONE asking for SOMETHING. You have ALL KINDS of people ASKING you for money....ESPECIALLY FAMILY. GOD FORBID you make a mistake like accidently push somebody...or get into a little Bullsh!t fender bender....things that EVERYONE of us has done in some point of our lives. Because HALF of that town WILL BE SUING you. And on top of that, you HAVE TO...I REPEAT YOU HAVE TO, be a roll model. You better not have an attitude and do EVERYTHING....I REPEAT, everything, with a smile.

...in others words, you are NOT ALLOWED to be human and EVERYTHING that you do MUST BE PERFECT....if not, it WILL be a headline the next day.

You and I have our familes to take care....usually your wife and children, maybe your parents as well. Some of these players take care of their wives/girlfriends families, cousins, aunts and uncles. IF something happens to you or I, it will not be NOWHERE near as financially devastating as something happening to some of these guys.

Maybe you do not feel sorry for these guys, but until you have seen FIRST HAND what they have to go through DAY-TO-DAY.....you really need to respect the fact that most have TONS more responsibility than you and I will ever have.

I personally didn't think he was a GREAT QB in college, but a great athlete that was basically allowed to do his thing on the field and a coaching staff at Texas that trusted him. In the NFL it is definately a different game. In the 7 years I worked in Chicago in sports media, I saw alot things the average "arm chair QBs" did not see and some of the pressures these athletes go through.

Usually, the 1st thing EVERYONE mentions is "but the money that guy makes....blah, blah, blah...." Let me tell you something, NONE of you guys, INCLUDING MYSELF, would trade your so called average lives for his. You cannot do normal every day things you and I do....eat in peace, shop in peace, taking a walk with your significant other in peace....go on vacation with your loved ones in peace, without SOMEONE asking for SOMETHING. You have ALL KINDS of people ASKING you for money....ESPECIALLY FAMILY. GOD FORBID you make a mistake like accidently push somebody...or get into a little Bullsh!t fender bender....things that EVERYONE of us has done in some point of our lives. Because HALF of that town WILL BE SUING you. And on top of that, you HAVE TO...I REPEAT YOU HAVE TO, be a roll model. You better not have an attitude and do EVERYTHING....I REPEAT, everything, with a smile.

...in others words, you are NOT ALLOWED to be human and EVERYTHING that you do MUST BE PERFECT....if not, it WILL be a headline the next day.

You and I have our familes to take care....usually your wife and children, maybe your parents as well. Some of these players take care of their wives/girlfriends families, cousins, aunts and uncles. IF something happens to you or I, it will not be NOWHERE near as financially devastating as something happening to some of these guys.

Maybe you do not feel sorry for these guys, but until you have seen FIRST HAND what they have to go through DAY-TO-DAY.....you really need to respect the fact that most have TONS more responsibility than you and I will ever have.

Thank you! That is all i am saying! I am not trying to make people like Vince but it is hard going though the things he goes through! You are one of the VERY VERY few here that knows or have seen pro athletes and can understand this. Heck i don't fool myself and think every body will Like Vince. Heck not every body likes Payton or brady! Myself included. I do however understand the pressures of the player! I just hope if anything bad happens to one of the haters and if you tell someone needing support. I really hope people do not say the samethings you guy's have said! :eek:

My son is an Air Traffic Controller. Thousands of peoples lives depend on him doing his job flawlessly every day. I have great respect for him, not for some guy getting paid too much to play a game.

I agree today's athletes are way over paid, but it goes to show that they are just people who can suffer the same issues as anyone!

Mental problems are not limited to the average working person, all the money in the world can't make them go away. (a good shrink may help but they still exist).

Like many have said I don't feel sorry for him at all, either. You either take it in stride and prove you are the best or fold like he is doing. I am from Philly and McNabb probably gets it worse than any quarterback in the league, and thats even if he wins. Instead of whining about it or demanding trades or anything else he goes out there and plays his ass off trying to improve every year. A few years back he complained (when they brought in Jeff Garcia) and now this year he looks 100x better.

As for the word that Mcnabb, Young, and a select few other QBs get called by the more ignorant fans I can say that they should not be called it for any reason but Young is in a slightly worse scenario as he is playing in the south where it is used more loosely as the cultures don't mesh as well but that said he played in Texas...

If someone wants to give me the ability to throw a ball and make millions but I know that I'll be called every kind of anti-semetic slur as a result I'll say so be it, because I know if I win I'll go from being ______ to the hero of the day... it comes with the job.

My son is an Air Traffic Controller. Thousands of peoples lives depend on him doing his job flawlessly every day. I have great respect for him, not for some guy getting paid too much to play a game.

Fine and dandy....but let's look at things in depth. 31 teams times 53 players = 1643 jobs. There are 31 starting QBs....that means there are ONLY 31 people IN THE WORLD that are good enough to be a starting QB....IN THE WORLD!!! So, if your son was in a profession that only 31 people IN THE WORLD could do...he would be getting paid 1000 times more than the average person.

Is your son REQUIRED to be a roll model? If your son make a little mistake like a fender bender or accidentally bumps someone in a bar...will he be sued by half the bar? I am sure you son has NO PROBLEMS eating at Buger King in peace....or buying a pair of shoes in peace....or walking with his girlfriend/wife in peace.

They guys are human that make human mistakes NO DIFFERENT than you do...the take a piss NO DIFFERENT than you do and pun on pants on different than you do...BUT YET, because they HAVE money, they cannot be human because they are rich.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)