Vince Young a Head Case?

I agree today's athletes are way over paid, but it goes to show that they are just people who can suffer the same issues as anyone!

Mental problems are not limited to the average working person, all the money in the world can't make them go away. (a good shrink may help but they still exist).

But do you blame the athlete because he gets paid this much? Not his fault....

Like many have said I don't feel sorry for him at all, either. You either take it in stride and prove you are the best or fold like he is doing. I am from Philly and McNabb probably gets it worse than any quarterback in the league, and thats even if he wins. Instead of whining about it or demanding trades or anything else he goes out there and plays his ass off trying to improve every year. A few years back he complained (when they brought in Jeff Garcia) and now this year he looks 100x better.

As for the word that Mcnabb, Young, and a select few other QBs get called by the more ignorant fans I can say that they should not be called it for any reason but Young is in a slightly worse scenario as he is playing in the south where it is used more loosely as the cultures don't mesh as well but that said he played in Texas...

If someone wants to give me the ability to throw a ball and make millions but I know that I'll be called every kind of anti-semetic slur as a result I'll say so be it, because I know if I win I'll go from being ______ to the hero of the day... it comes with the job.

So again, you are making the claim that because a person that makes a ton of money....he or she will have no worries in the world because he is rich? Why? Because he is now bullet proof from mistakes, bad judegement or people trying to take advantge of them? What world do you live in? :confused:

Fine and dandy....but let's look at things in depth. 31 teams times 53 players = 1643 jobs. There are 31 starting QBs....that means there are ONLY 31 people IN THE WORLD that are good enough to be a starting QB....IN THE WORLD!!! So, if your son was in a profession that only 31 people IN THE WORLD could do...he would be getting paid 1000 times more than the average person.

Is your son REQUIRED to be a roll model? If your son make a little mistake like a fender bender or accidentally bumps someone in a bar...will he be sued by half the bar? I am sure you son has NO PROBLEMS eating at Buger King in peace....or buying a pair of shoes in peace....or walking with his girlfriend/wife in peace.

They guys are human that make human mistakes NO DIFFERENT than you do...the take a piss NO DIFFERENT than you do and pun on pants on different than you do...BUT YET, because they HAVE money, they cannot be human because they are rich.
Waaah, waaah. It goes with the job. If he can't take the heat, he should get out of the kitchen.

My son can be sued for making an error at work, and I guarantee he puts in more hours per year working than any pro athlete. He chooses to be a role model to his family, not because he's required to. And he wouldn't eat at a Burger King anyway (and neither would Vince Young :)).

Look, I like Vince Young (even though he's a Longhorn :(), and I wish him well. But this "waaa waaa, they're trying to hurt me, they're being mean to me, I can't take it" stuff has got to stop. Man up! He should do his talking on the field.

Waaah, waaah. It goes with the job. If he can't take the heat, he should get out of the kitchen.

My son can be sued for making an error at work, and I guarantee he puts in more hours per year working than any pro athlete. He chooses to be a role model to his family, not because he's required to. And he wouldn't eat at a Burger King anyway (and neither would Vince Young :)).

Look, I like Vince Young (even though he's a Longhorn :(), and I wish him well. But this "waaa waaa, they're trying to hurt me, they're being mean to me, I can't take it" stuff has got to stop. Man up! He should do his talking on the field.

You are missing the point of my argument completely.:rolleyes:

The point isn't that he's a headcase or that he's free of problems. The point is we all have problems just shut up and do the job you got hired to do. If I have problems at home I still have to go to work. If I am contracted to do an install of some sort then regardless of my personal mental state if it has to be done by this day then I have to do my job. I don't care if he's rich but if this is his job then he needs to shut up, be a man about it, and do his damn job

The point isn't that he's a headcase or that he's free of problems. The point is we all have problems just shut up and do the job you got hired to do. If I have problems at home I still have to go to work. If I am contracted to do an install of some sort then regardless of my personal mental state if it has to be done by this day then I have to do my job. I don't care if he's rich but if this is his job then he needs to shut up, be a man about it, and do his damn job

Jesus, Mary and Joseph.....IF you screw up at work....will YOUR name be all over the news tomorrow? Lets say you had a few drinks after work....and get stopped by the cops....will the WORLD know you had a few too many to drink? Let's say you go out with a few friends...meet this cutie that somehow got in a 21 and over club....and she's really 16......will the world see that you made a simple mistake....??!!

Actually where I work if I screwed up most of those scenarios would be in the news... with the cop it would depend on why I got stopped... so I will say yes, and I make under 60k a year so once again I have no sympathy.

The difference is if Vince Young gets pulled over by police for DUI he gets slapped on the wrist and sent on his way while I'd be spending a few days to weeks in jail

Thank you! That is all i am saying! I am not trying to make people like Vince but it is hard going though the things he goes through! You are one of the VERY VERY few here that knows or have seen pro athletes and can understand this. Heck i don't fool myself and think every body will Like Vince. Heck not every body likes Payton or brady! Myself included. I do however understand the pressures of the player! I just hope if anything bad happens to one of the haters and if you tell someone needing support. I really hope people do not say the samethings you guy's have said! :eek:

ok i agree with this. you do lose all of your privacy. i rather be middle class or lower class than be famous and not be able to do the simple things I do everyday.
You are totally right on this.

Poor little baby...the defense is out to get me, the fans hate me, it's so hard to be a NFL quarterback, oh woe is me! If only I could make 1/10th the money Mr. Young is getting to play football and secure my family's financial future in the process. Professional athletes need to learn the concepts of humility and gratitude.

Last weekend I spent $399 of my own money and 6-hours of my own time taking a stupid certification test, so I can keep my stupid job, while making pennies on Vince Young's dollars, while sh*t-for-brains throws around a football...and gets a good workout in the process.

And people ask me why I drink!:rolleyes:

I personally didn't think he was a GREAT QB in college, but a great athlete that was basically allowed to do his thing on the field and a coaching staff at Texas that trusted him. In the NFL it is definately a different game. In the 7 years I worked in Chicago in sports media, I saw alot things the average "arm chair QBs" did not see and some of the pressures these athletes go through.

Usually, the 1st thing EVERYONE mentions is "but the money that guy makes....blah, blah, blah...." Let me tell you something, NONE of you guys, INCLUDING MYSELF, would trade your so called average lives for his. You cannot do normal every day things you and I do....eat in peace, shop in peace, taking a walk with your significant other in peace....go on vacation with your loved ones in peace, without SOMEONE asking for SOMETHING. You have ALL KINDS of people ASKING you for money....ESPECIALLY FAMILY. GOD FORBID you make a mistake like accidently push somebody...or get into a little Bullsh!t fender bender....things that EVERYONE of us has done in some point of our lives. Because HALF of that town WILL BE SUING you. And on top of that, you HAVE TO...I REPEAT YOU HAVE TO, be a roll model. You better not have an attitude and do EVERYTHING....I REPEAT, everything, with a smile.

...in others words, you are NOT ALLOWED to be human and EVERYTHING that you do MUST BE PERFECT....if not, it WILL be a headline the next day.

You and I have our familes to take care....usually your wife and children, maybe your parents as well. Some of these players take care of their wives/girlfriends families, cousins, aunts and uncles. IF something happens to you or I, it will not be NOWHERE near as financially devastating as something happening to some of these guys.

Maybe you do not feel sorry for these guys, but until you have seen FIRST HAND what they have to go through DAY-TO-DAY.....you really need to respect the fact that most have TONS more responsibility than you and I will ever have.

Amazing how 2 different points of view can both be correct. The bottom line may be that Young doesn't have to be an NFL QB. He did receive a free education (I hope he was smart enough to finish his degree, and no, that shouldn't be misinterpretated). I guess I just feel more sympathy for those of us that weren't blessed with superior athletic skills.

Forget about the money. The fact alone that millions of people knew who I was would drive me crazy. I like being able to go somewhere and no one knows who I am, and I never want that to change.

Amazing how 2 different points of view can both be correct. The bottom line may be that Young doesn't have to be an NFL QB. He did receive a free education (I hope he was smart enough to finish his degree, and no, that shouldn't be misinterpretated). I guess I just feel more sympathy for those of us that weren't blessed with superior athletic skills.

I just think that people assume to quickly that IF you make alot of money, ALL PROBLEMS cease to exist...and that will NEVER, EVER be the case. NOBODY here knows WHY he is going through what he is going through.....but the assumptions fly like crzy because ALL OF US know what it is like to be filthy rich with no cares in the world??:rolleyes:

Forget about the money. The fact alone that millions of people knew who I was would drive me crazy. I like being able to go somewhere and no one knows who I am, and I never want that to change.

I agree 1000%!!! Now just imagine.....everything you do, read, eat, drive, wear and talk about is examined with a fine toothed comb.....TWICE. As many people as YOU THINK want you to succeed.....twice as many will want you to fail....and being a QB, will want you to get hurt WHILE you fail.....

NOBODY in here could take that pressure......:rolleyes:

NOBODY in here could take that pressure......:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Ummm, speak for yourself. Maybe I could, but then again maybe I couldn't. But THAT'S not the point....................the point is how do YOU know this??? :confused: Don't we all have different thresholds when it comes to coping skills????

:rolleyes: Ummm, speak for yourself. Maybe I could, but then again maybe I couldn't. But THAT'S not the point....................the point is how do YOU know this??? :confused: Don't we all have different thresholds when it comes to coping skills????

Ummmm...that is very true....but UNLESS you HAVE BEEN or currently are filthy rich AND extremely well known or famous.....I doubt YOU, ME or ANYONE ELSE in here knows what THAT kinda of pressue is like......I am sure that ALL of his peers know EXACTLY what he is going through....but you won't hear THEM telling him to man up...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)