VIP 222k or VIP 222 - Which is better?

Mr77

Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Washington
I am planning on upgrading from my receiver to either the 222k or 222. Here is what I have learned and what is important to me:

1) 222 was buggy when it came out, judging from posts/comments I read back in 2009 or earlier? So in general are the earlier problems resolved now and is the 222 considered a reliable HD Sat receiver today. (The impression that the 222 was/is buggy is just that an impression. I may have formed an improper impression and most of the negative comments were mostly isolated cases.) In any case I am hoping that VIP 222 is now a reliable working HD Sat receiver.

2) I am leaning toward the 222 because it has S-Video and the 222k does not.
(I need/prefer S-Video because of the better PQ when I record to my Pioneer DVR.) (For the time being I do not have the funds to update all my equipment to HD so I will be staying with SD. I am upgrading because I want to take advantage of the HD Free for life promotion.)

3) The 222k has a different chipset. Not sure if this matters?

4) Wondering what the HDMI interface version is for both the 222k and 222? (1.2, 1.3, 1.4 ...) This may be a reason to swing back to the 222k if it is newer.

5) The 222k has a 2 tuner OTA module while the 222 has a single tuner. (I have read that the 222k sends a weaker signal because it splits it for the 2nd TV... or something like that.)

6) The 222k is slightly smaller in depth.

7) I read one comment that all of the "K" equipment were ready for Sling functionality. This doesn't make sense to me on a non-DVR box, (But I am currently very tired.) I have only a small interest in this functionality but it is something to consider if it were true.

8) There is no EHD option for the 222k/222. (Comments I read sounded like this might not every come to pass but that it at one time was thought to be on the road map.) Disappointing because if I ever decide to go with the Dish Network DVR solution I will have to upgrade to a DVR. For now my plan is to build a MythTV box.)

9) Also, Dish Network fake tech support mentioned that the 222k had more memory. This was the answer I got when I asked about the HDMI interface version. Uhhh? If you have ever called Dish Network customer service for tech support you get a guy/gal who doesn't know much of anything in the technical realm. They just start Googling your questions for you. I asked to be put through to 2nd level tech support but was denied. But I digress... The more memory comment was later reversed when I spoke to the supervisor, he said he has no knowledge of the 222k having more memory. I am mostly sure this just a red herring.

If anyone can help answer my outstanding questions, especially about the reliability of either the 222 or 222k, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Consider 211 receivers instead, they have the DVR capability now and the SD tuner of the 222 will be useless if you have to replace any of your current TVs. It is virtually impossible to get a NEW TV that isn't 16x9 and HDTV.

I like the remotes for the 222k's vs the 222's, they both work fine and I've installed hundreds of both of them for people and rare that I see any go bad.

But as the above was stated - I'd go with two 211's and slap a external HDD on them to give you recording ability.

I like the remotes for the 222k's vs the 222's, they both work fine and I've installed hundreds of both of them for people and rare that I see any go bad.

But as the above was stated - I'd go with two 211's and slap a external HDD on them to give you recording ability.

Do you know if the external HHD can be connected to a laptop to view/access the recorded video?

I plan on using my current Universal learning remote for the main TV room. Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Do you know if the external HHD can be connected to a laptop to view/access the recorded video?

No you can't..the data is encrypted.

I plan on using my current Universal learning remote for the main TV room. Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

If it works on the 322's it should work ok on the 222's or 222k's remotes but why would you need it at that point since these remotes control everything else anyway or most of everything else as I've seen some new TV's not work with any Dish remote.

No you can't..the data is encrypted.

If it works on the 322's it should work ok on the 222's or 222k's remotes but why would you need it at that point since these remotes control everything else anyway or most of everything else as I've seen some new TV's not work with any Dish remote.

My current Universal RF10 remote controls 8 different devices and is already setup for all of my other equipment. (It can learn the IR commands of any other IR remote and also works with an RF receiver to control equipment in another room. It also has a Shift button so you can setup any button with 2 commands. Has a macro pragramming feature as well.)

I appreciate your insights, do you have an opinion on the reliability of the VIP 222?

I appreciate your insights, do you have an opinion on the reliability of the VIP 222?

I stated my thoughts on both the 222 and 222k in first post I did... but they work pretty much the same and I've never seen either fail unless it was a issue right out the box such as a IR remote not working cause the eye was screwed up.

I stated my thoughts on both the 222 and 222k in first post I did... but they work pretty much the same and I've never seen either fail unless it was a issue right out the box such as a IR remote not working cause the eye was screwed up.

Okay, thanks much. I think I am going to go for the 222, I just wish I knew whether or not the 222k had a newer version of the HDMI interface. I'd get the 211 if didn't expect to have use of my older TV's for some time to come and so will be able to take advantage of the 2nd SD tuner. :)

Are you sure you want to continue living life in the Dark Ages without a DVR (as it appears you are)???
A 722 would allow use of your SD tv. BTW, the HDMI version is a non-issue.

Okay, thanks much. I think I am going to go for the 222, I just wish I knew whether or not the 222k had a newer version of the HDMI interface. I'd get the 211 if didn't expect to have use of my older TV's for some time to come and so will be able to take advantage of the 2nd SD tuner. :)

I'd go with the 222k just cause the remove is black and more cool looking lol but no there isn't any difference in the HDMI interface of the two.

As for the 211, it comes with a coax output also so your older TV's will work just fine with it and you can even run a big splitter to a few other TV's to watch the same thing on it even if one of them is right at the box and hooked up via HDMI.

Are you sure you want to continue living life in the Dark Ages without a DVR (as it appears you are)???
A 722 would allow use of your SD tv. BTW, the HDMI version is a non-issue.
I have my own DVR, so I don't need the 722 and can save money by avoiding the DVR fee.

I'd go with the 222k just cause the remove is black and more cool looking lol but no there isn't any difference in the HDMI interface of the two.

As for the 211, it comes with a coax output also so your older TV's will work just fine with it and you can even run a big splitter to a few other TV's to watch the same thing on it even if one of them is right at the box and hooked up via HDMI.
So ended up going with the 222k mostly because Dish Network could not (will not) find away to get me the 222. From what I can tell, I would have to order the HD upgrade over and over until someone in the warehouse happened to send me a older 222. I gave up on the s-video and went with the 222k. The Dish Network installer was very nice and tried his best to find away to get me the 222 but could not get them to deliver on what I was told by the call center.

So in the end I am happy with the quality of the composite video output of SD stations on the 222k.

I agree with you about the 222k being black. It is much cooler!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)