ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

halson40 said:
I have searched this forum but can't find an answer. Pardon me if this is a redundant question
I had a 622 installed last nite and today it did the following at least 5 times:
Screen went black
Audio became garbled
Unit powered down
after a couples of minutes unit powers up
after a couple more minutes the picture returns

I called Dish advanced techs and he had me pull the power cord out for 30 seconds.
If this doesn't fix it what should I do?

It is in dual mode and the software is L355
Copied from this thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=60157 for halson 40

Last edited:
I pretty much have the same problem. The tech told me the problem wasn't with the box, but was a software issue and that they are working on it.
My 622 was running perfectly during the last couple of days, but it happened again earlier tonight.
Did this by chance happen while you were watching or recording something from Comedy Central, because I noticed that the past three times it happened to me, it always involved my watching or recording something from Comedy Central.
Coincidence?

Videomax said:
I pretty much have the same problem. The tech told me the problem wasn't with the box, but was a software issue and that they are working on it.
My 622 was running perfectly during the last couple of days, but it happened again earlier tonight.
Did this by chance happen while you were watching or recording something from Comedy Central, because I noticed that the past three times it happened to me, it always involved my watching or recording something from Comedy Central.
Coincidence?
My wife was watching various channels when it happened.

Software version: 355
Mode bug occurred in: single
Dish setup: 61.5 into DPP LNBs on Dish 500
Description of bugs:

1. Intermintint audio drops or garbled.

2. Weird noise and colors across screen then unit shuts off. Sometimes it just shuts off and other times it reboots. Nothing (other than watching tv) was done to cause this to happen. It happened 4 times yesterday afternoon but not at all last night.

Thoughts: Not much since I've only had the unit activated since Sunday but from Sunday until yesterday it didn't have any problems that I was aware of. Yesterday morning the installer showed up (because I was moving my 942 to the family room) to run a couple more lines and check out a problem I'd been having with the DP-34. Anyway, he ended up removing the DP-34 and replacing the Dish500 LNBs with DPP. That way he didn't have to add any lines and could use seperators on both the 622 and the 942.

So I'm wondering if the seperator / DPP LNBs is related to the problems I sighted above and the reason some are reporting problems and others say their unit is fine. Maybe I'll start a new thread with a poll to see if there's a corralation.

Dish setup: 61.5 into Legacy LNBs on Dish 500/300 through two SW64s
Description of bugs:

1. Intermittent audio drops (catastrophic level on FOX HD out of NYC.... unwatchable)

2. Just this past week a new nightmare...... All of the Voom channels and most of the other HD channels lose audio completely (EXCEPT TNT HD and HD Net which seem to dodge it for some reason). Only a reboot saves it (a real nightmare though if a timer fires and records picture only.... I'm not good at reading lips)

3. Occasional pops when using commercial skip button

4. While watching American Idol live on Fox (NYC SD Feed - Grrrrr. HD couldn't be used), there was a goofy video and audio stutter. Pausing for a few seconds cured it BUT at one point it jumped to live TV on its own and killed the 10 second buffer I had built up.... weird.

NBC HD (NYC) seems to work pretty well. I never hear any audio drops during Deal or No Deal or Las Vegas. Whatever you are doing to keep THAT channel trouble free should be replicated on the other feeds....

Last edited:
Dish setup: Dish 500 (110 & 119) and Dish 500 (61.5)

Was watching my DVR recording of Grey's Anatomy off of the Philly HD ABC station last night (Taped Sunday).

Had a few audio dropouts - and then the playback became choppy - audio was fine - but picture seemed jumpy and not as fluid as it was at the beginning of the show.

I did receive word from DISH that they are aware of these issues and the engineers continue to work on a fix - I did not however receive a possible date.

i have been having the black screen problem sence i had the 622 worse in dual mode also get black recordings sometimes .is on a dish1000 all by itself my other recivers are on dish 500 with sw21'sand 61.5

BobMurdoch said:
Dish setup: 61.5 into Legacy LNBs on Dish 500/300 through two SW64s
Description of bugs:

1. Intermittent audio drops (catastrophic level on FOX HD out of NYC.... unwatchable)

2. Just this past week a new nightmare...... All of the Voom channels and most of the other HD channels lose audio completely (EXCEPT TNT HD and HD Net which seem to dodge it for some reason). Only a reboot saves it (a real nightmare though if a timer fires and records picture only.... I'm not good at reading lips)

3. Occasional pops when using commercial skip button

4. While watching American Idol live on Fox (NYC SD Feed - Grrrrr. HD couldn't be used), there was a goofy video and audio stutter. Pausing for a few seconds cured it BUT at one point it jumped to live TV on its own and killed the 10 second buffer I had built up.... weird.

NBC HD (NYC) seems to work pretty well. I never hear any audio drops during Deal or No Deal or Las Vegas. Whatever you are doing to keep THAT channel trouble free should be replicated on the other feeds....

Version: 3.55
Mode: Single
Dish Setup: 61.5, 1000, DPP44

Had complete audio dropouts on satellite HD last weekend. Was able to use the 10 second skip back and audio was perfect in each instance. Anytime I returned to the live mode, I lost audio. I was gone all week and have watched several recorded OTA HD programs including American Idol, which were all perfect.

I am now watching the NCAA tourney OTA and am having to watch it on a 10 second delay to get audio. Earlier I had no problem with audio live on OTA. However, I just went back to live and now have audio. Since I have been able to get the audio back by doing a single skipback and have not had any audio problems on recordings, this is not a serious bug for me.

I had several instances the first week of March losing video and had to reboot. Apparently this has been fixed by the software updates.

Although not a bug, the OTA sensitivity is not nearly as good as my 6000. The OTA signal strength shows the same as on the 6000 (65 to 75 for the Atlanta HD stations that are 60 to 65 miles away). However, the 6000 only needed a signal strength of 48 or higher for perfect reception and my 622 needs a signal strength of 62 or higher. I have experienced some dropouts on 2 of the stations with the 622 and never had any dropouts with my 6000. This was surprising since I had read several reviews which said that the 622 had a very sensitive OTA tuner. My take on this is there is a sizable variation in the OTA tuners and that my 6000 tuner was much better than average and that my 622 tuner is less sensitive than average.

Audio drops occasionally and sometimes video drops as well.

Mis-fired timers.

Audio sync. trouble.

I have found although, that the OTA tuner is much better than the 921 I have.

I haven't heard much recently on Dish's switch to MPEG 4. Anybody out there have any info on this? I'm just wondering that when this switch is made, will the 622's audio dropout mess be cleared up? Still Fox-HD is unwatchable because of these dropouts.

Problem: I keep losing my OTA timers

I set up my 622 to record all 'New' episodes of Desperate Housewives, House and Lost. I go into the 'Schedule' or 'Timers' list and everything looks fine. A few hours later the shows are no longer sheduled to be recorded even though the Timer is still there. This happened last night again. I had Desperate Housewives sheduled to be recorded but it didn't record. I checked the 'Timers' list and the timer is still there. The 'Schedule' history does not show this timer was deleted. This only happens with the OTA channels.

I have L355 software, LIL (HD), Dual Mode, Record Plus on to TV1 (I made timers at TV1 location since I can't see OTA channels at TV2).

Here's the original thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=60811

Problem: Broken Dial-tone (indicating message waiting on message center) not recognized by receiver as a good phone connection

I just received a new 622, thank you Scott and dish-store, and installed the product this morning. I come to find out that a scheduled recording could not start because I get the message on the screen that says telephone connection is not established. I simply placed the same phone line that was used on my 921 which had no problems. I've found out that I have had a message waiting on my message center, indicated by a broken dial-tone when I pick up my telephone. Once I've cleared the message I check the dial-tone again, now nice and steady. I hit the TEST button and programming comes up fine.
My fear is, will this happen every time I get a message left on my message center? Hopefully this will be fixed by an update or if this event is only an initial setup concern.

BobMurdoch 4. While watching American Idol live on Fox (NYC SD Feed - Grrrrr. HD couldn't be used) said:
Audio is always fine on mine however most of the time, the video is jittery in live SD and HD, one skip back cures it and it isn't present in recorded events.
A reboot fixes it for a while then it comes back

2. Reallly wierd - after a program finishes at random time intervals the channel changes to 099-6 (I will explain below) and begins recording, it did it for 3.5hrs today until i told it to stop recording. There are no timers in there telling it to record this channel, however when I installed it I tuned to that channel for a minute to see what it was and then changed off of it, it is like it is burned in it's memory

Now this is really wierd, I have ch 099-1 - 099-14 and they are labeled with network names ie: food, espn, USDT
Which is my antenna picking up the USDTV cheap over the air cable service
all these channels appear as black with signal

I am going to go remove them from my list and see if that makes it stop, but the jittery video thing is a bit annoying.
I am getting another one on monday so I will tell you if it fixes it.

"Audio is always fine on mine however most of the time, the video is jittery in live SD and HD, one skip back cures it and it isn't present in recorded events.
A reboot fixes it for a while then it comes back"

Get this as well and the only difference for me is I have seen it in the recorded events also.

Started rebooting on it's own yesterday and of course it happened while my wife was watching with me.:(

Come on update!

I'm guessing this might have been Dish's April Fool's joke on me, unappreciated as it was.

I set my 622 to record the Australian Grand Prix on Speed. When I turned off my set to go to bed (right after M Schu crashed), it was recording. When I got up in the middle of the night to see the outcome, it was still recording, though the program was over. I didn't let that bother me as I figured it had gotten confused over the time change to central DST. I rewound back to the finish of the race, played a few minutes and, satisfied, turned off the TV and went back to bed.

This afternoon I went to play my recording and it wasn't there!! When I select DVR, the program is in the list and it's 3:30 in length, but when I play it, there is a blank screen displayed and none of the DVR controls do anything. Does 3:30 mean 3 hours and 30 minutes or 3 minutes and 30 seconds? My two recordings from Dish are there and they play like they're supposed to.

Is there any way to get a PC type directory listing of the hard drive? Has this happened to anyone else? Finally, the recording of the Grand Prix says TV2. I don't remember it asking me whether I wanted it on TV1 or TV2. Could that have anything to do with it? I'd really like to watch my race.

Gerry - Milton, FL

Continued HD Local problems

I continue to have issues with my local HD feeds out of Philly - mostly ABC. During the shows last night from 9-11pm - there were multiple occurrances of the "garbled" screen - where it looks like a computer malfunctioning - and a few audio dropouts. It's really starting to piss off the other half - and i'm running out of excuses! :D

I've had DISH now for a month - and it's a bit unnerving that these HD issues still have not been worked out.

Meanwhile - I can turn on ESPN2 HD or HBO HD, etc..and I don't see any of these problems. Could it still be MPEG-4 issues? Or are my local feeds that messed up?

psumattDE said:
I continue to have issues with my local HD feeds out of Philly - mostly ABC. During the shows last night from 9-11pm - there were multiple occurrances of the "garbled" screen - where it looks like a computer malfunctioning - and a few audio dropouts. It's really starting to piss off the other half - and i'm running out of excuses! :D
I've had DISH now for a month - and it's a bit unnerving that these HD issues still have not been worked out.
Meanwhile - I can turn on ESPN2 HD or HBO HD, etc..and I don't see any of these problems. Could it still be MPEG-4 issues? Or are my local feeds that messed up?

Sorry to hear that you're still having issues. I would continue to push E* about this, as I can still report that the OTA signals from Philly are just fine, so it's not the broadcasting that's the problem.

Software version: 356
Dish setup: DP34
Description of bug: choppy video happens a lot while watching a show. Rebooting the 622 temporarily fixes the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts