vip222 versus vip222k

dalebrow

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
cincinnati
Hi all,long time reader first time poster. I have had dish for a little over a month now and have had a lot of problems. I have went through two vip222k receivers with problems, too many to mention. Well last sat. a tech came out and replaced the vip222k with a vip222. I asked him about that and he said that was ok they are the same. I guess what I am asking, are they the same? It seems like since he insalled the 222 all my sd channels on tv 2 are jumpy. Thanks for any help because I am getting a little frustrated with all the problems.

I have both, and I have to say the 222K has fewer problems than the 222. No, the 222 and the 222K are NOT the same. However, their differences to the customer in actual use may be minimal to significant, depending upon each customer's needs. Here are the differences:

1. 222 has 1 built-in OTA tuner. 222K has NO built-in OTA tuner. However, you may purchase the the OTA module for this unit for about $29.00. The module will provide 2 OTA tuners using one cable-in. Also, a TV RF output channel 3/4 is also part of the module.

2. 222K allows for TV2 to access the OTA tuner. This can be a significant feature for some people. 222 OTA access is limited to TV1 only.

3. Others have posted that the 222K software is based on the upcoming 922,

4. 222K has a different chipset from the 222.

To some, the differences above are significant, as some folks want or need the 2 OTA capability and not the single OTA and need to access it from TV2. To others, it makes no difference as they may never use the OTA tuners.

Although the installer said the were they same, he may well have known about the differences, especially the potential number of OTA tuners, but he doesn't want to get bogged down by a sub who isn't getting the "same" box, who may in fact prefer the 222K option of 2 OTA tuners. Saying they were the same makes his job, for himself, easier, hoping you don't know that in fact you are getting a different box.

Last edited:
Hi all,long time reader first time poster. I have had dish for a little over a month now and have had a lot of problems. I have went through two vip222k receivers with problems, too many to mention. Well last sat. a tech came out and replaced the vip222k with a vip222. I asked him about that and he said that was ok they are the same. I guess what I am asking, are they the same? It seems like since he insalled the 222 all my sd channels on tv 2 are jumpy. Thanks for any help because I am getting a little frustrated with all the problems.

I had the same jumpy SD problem with my 222 when it was installed in November. I lucked out and the tech who came out on the service call, only had 222K's on the truck so I got one of those, and all has been fine since.

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I will call dish and try to get the 222k back, and buy the ota module because I would like to be able to watch ota on tv2.Thanks again.

IIRC the 222K uses the same OTA module as the 722K.

The OTA tuner module evidently has an internal splitter for the two OTA tuners and nets a resultant loss of signal.

Many have reported the 222K/722K OTA module is considerably weaker at capturing OTA signals that the 722 or the 222.

Might necessitate a pre-amp of some kind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)