VIP612 trouble

tvaddict14

Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
Illinois
I have a new VIP612, I am having some issues with. My problem is it won't record 2 shows at the same time in HD without stuttering or losing signal, error 316. I have replaced the diplexer and the LNB, still have same issue. If I only record 1 show in HD at a time I have no problem with it. My signal is in the mid to high 50 range in central IL, and seems to hold steady, there are no trees or anything to get in the way to cause signal loss. Never had this problem with my 625 SD dual tuner box. Current dish is a 1000.2 on Western Arc. My coax is as best I can tell rated for 3ghz from dish to house and in the walls of the house. Could the fact that the barrel connectors being used are not 3ghz be my problem? I have at least 2 of them in the line to the VIP612, my dish and coax are not currently grounded can this cause a problem like I am having, I have on order 3ghz couplers and ground block, hoping this will fix the problem. If it won't solve it, is the problem with the receiver?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, have had Dish for over 10years with out problems now when I jump into HD I start having these issues.

Thanks

Welcome to SatGuys, you've come to the right place.

It seems odd that we appear to be hearing more problems with ViP612s lately. Or maybe it just seems that way to me.

You have a refurbished ViP612. They haven't built any in years. By diplexer, I assume you mean separator. Barrels are sometimes a problem, but if it worked for the 625, probably not the problem here. Grounding not likely to be causing this.

I assume a checkswitch is showing 110, 119 & 129. Can you tell if it's always the same sat tuner that fails?

I suspect the receiver. Let's see if someone else chimes in with another idea, but I think you may be about to play musical boxes.

I ended up removing the separator,and running two coax lines from the dish.Works much better now.

Agree 100% with Navy. This has got to be an issue with this receiver. Disk going bad, perhaps? I have two 612s operating off a single cable diplexed with OTA signal, just fine for years. (Except one of them doesn't want to come out of standby these days.)

Thanks for the replies, Yes it is actually a refurb unit, I will try to determine if it is one tuner or both that are causing the problem. Correct, I used the wrong term it is the separator I replaced, check switch shows all 3 sats on all 3 of my receivers.
Current set up
625 SD DVR, VIP612 DVR, 301 all running off of the 1000.2 dish with 1 cable to each location.
3 cables from dish into house, there they connect directly to the in wall cable to each location, no switches installed at all, each cable run has at least 2 to 3 barrel connectors in line. Could the old 301 some how be causing a problem since it no longer has a SW21 in line, but it uses the built in switch in the LNB.
I'm all for getting a new box, however I purchased the 612 from Amazon, will Dish replace it for me, or am I out the money and have to buy another.

Thanks

Just saw reply from TheKrell, If we think the receiver is bad, What are my options since I own it, Never had to replace a box before, I've always purchased all my equipment.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, Yes it is actually a refurb unit, I will try to determine if it is one tuner or both that are causing the problem. Correct, I used the wrong term it is the separator I replaced, check switch shows all 3 sats on all 3 of my receivers.
Current set up
625 SD DVR, VIP612 DVR, 301 all running off of the 1000.2 dish with 1 cable to each location.
3 cables from dish into house, there they connect directly to the in wall cable to each location, no switches installed at all, each cable run has at least 2 to 3 barrel connectors in line. Could the old 301 some how be causing a problem since it no longer has a SW21 in line, but it uses the built in switch in the LNB.
I'm all for getting a new box, however I purchased the 612 from Amazon, will Dish replace it for me, or am I out the money and have to buy another.

Thanks
I just replaced a 612 and got a refurbished 612everything is working after a few day and a few problems with the satellite side. Atsc is showing some problems but seeing I have a Tivo HD I will live with problems. Yours and mine were out of warranty so I bought the protection plan for the $7/mo. for 4 months and it cost me nothing for the receiver or shipping. DP301 should be replaced as it is being phased out, it isn't causing your problem but it was being replaced with DP311. When you call dish for 612 ask about a free upgrade of 301.

Navychop,
Well my test showed it to be tuner 1 giving me trouble, tuner 2 worked perfectly, the program on tuner 1 had error 316 within seconds then again several minutes later. I will check it out again later I have 2 programs scheduled to record at the same time. I'll see if it's tuner 1 again causing the problem.

Thanks

I was going to tell you to get rid of the low frequency barrels. Even if everything else is perfect the barrels will cause a problem.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Dish will replace the ViP612 (& 301) for free or nearly so.

You could move the ViP612 to another location to see if the trouble follows the receiver. Odds are, it will.

Perhaps it is time to consider if you would be ahead to get a Hopper series box and a Joey and mirror from one or the other to the SD TV currently on the 301. Or do all three TVs need independent viewing?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My 612 was replaced 2 weeks ago. I was having problems with it freezing up when I paused something. It would just lock up and I had to force reboot. I got the replacement receiver and it is so quiet I can't even hear it anymore. It no longer wakes me up at 3AM for its nightly reboot. The old one was like a jet engine especially during the summer it was so bad I use to unplug it as it was louder than my AC.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I am still needing to swap all the barrels out, I do have them in my hands now. Also I contacted the place that sold the receiver and they are willing to send me out a different one. I was told it had a 1 year manufacturer warranty. It seems to be inconsistent with my testing, A couple of times now I have been able to record 2 HD programs with no problems, making me wonder if it's dependent on the channel/transponders in use at the time affecting the out come. Once I get the barrels swapped, I will keep testing it and see if that solves it, if not time for a new box, hopefully one that works.

Thanks

update

I got the barrels swapped out and it seems to have solved the problem. I can record 2 shows in HD, and watch a prerecorded show while transferring shows to external drive, all at the same time and without any of the stuttering and getting error 316 all the time.
Hard to believe something small like that could cause a problem. Until recently I had no idea there were different barrel connectors made, I've always used the same ones in the past without any issues, I guess the VIP612 is more sensitive to this than my other receivers.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post on this thread, Hopefully it will help others that may have this problem in the future.

IMO this was the worst receiver that Dish came out with. I have seen more problems with the 612 than any other rx that Dish provides...... You are better off switching it to a 722 and switching it to single mode............ Just my 2 cents.

SIG

IMO this was the worst receiver that Dish came out with. I have seen more problems with the 612 than any other rx that Dish provides...... You are better off switching it to a 722 and switching it to single mode............ Just my 2 cents.

SIG
My 612 has been problem free until about a mo. ago, so far the refurb has been good except for an ATSC tuner that isn't as good as the original. Trust me as a former dealer DISH has made a lot of worse receivers than the 612.

SIG

Not even close. Over the last years the 612 has been just fine. It did have some earlier problems. Biggest thing is to keep it cool it does have a tendency to overheat.

SIG

My 612 has been problem free until about a mo. ago, so far the refurb has been good except for an ATSC tuner that isn't as good as the original. Trust me as a former dealer DISH has made a lot of worse receivers than the 612.

921, 942......

Not even close. Over the last years the 612 has been just fine. It did have some earlier problems. Biggest thing is to keep it cool it does have a tendency to overheat.
That is why my older one 2008 model use to go off like a jet engine. The new refurb I have now is so quiet I can't even hear it and it no longer wakes me up at 3AM. It is like the other 3 612's which were newer models from 2011.

Had a 612 since it was first released,it has actually been as solid as my wife's 722.Prior to the 722 we had a 622,we went through 3 of them,so imho the 612 is a pretty decent receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)