Von Weise Actuator Nut Repair?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Anyone ever repaired one of these? If so, where did you get the parts and how much $$ was involved. Reason I ask is I've got two of these that need parts and I was wondering where I might find them.

ill tell you where to find the nylon nuts if you tell me how to get the old nut out of the actuator arm. haha. i have a link somewhere for them. and they arent pricey.

crackt out,.

ill tell you where to find the nylon nuts if you tell me how to get the old nut out of the actuator arm. haha. i have a link somewhere for them. and they arent pricey.

crackt out,.

Here is a sequence for nut removal. You could cut them with a dremel tool also.

To reinstall just put the new one in, bend the tabs back down then clamp them down with a pair of welding dogs. Use a MIG welder to "tack weld" the tab back where it was machined and cool it in water between "tacks".

I just need a couple of those nuts and VonWeise DOES NOT HAVE THEM apart from a new unit, which is what I figured??

nut1.jpg

nut2.jpg

nut3.jpg

nut4.jpg

nut5.jpg

Reactions: martin-f
I just searched McMaster-Carr(mcmaster.com) & they list several size precision acme nuts(if yours is acme) in both bronze & plastic, pages 1093 - 1096. They also have listings for ball screws & nuts, pages 1097-1098.
Hope this helps.:)

I just searched McMaster-Carr(mcmaster.com) & they list several size precision acme nuts(if yours is acme) in both bronze & plastic, pages 1093 - 1096. They also have listings for ball screws & nuts, pages 1097-1098.
Hope this helps.:)

Found a couple that "might" work but are at least a half inch shorter than the original, which is 2 inches. The screw is .167 pitch or 6 TPI. The nut appears to be just some kind of black plastic? I've got a friend looking at making some out of brass or nylatron and free would be really nice.

I've got two of these actuators. One was worn out and the one on the 10ft dish now needs to be replaced.

Maybe that other poster will throw me a bone here.;)

Found a couple that "might" work but are at least a half inch shorter than the original, which is 2 inches. The screw is .167 pitch or 6 TPI. The nut appears to be just some kind of black plastic? I've got a friend looking at making some out of brass or nylatron and free would be really nice.

I've got two of these actuators. One was worn out and the one on the 10ft dish now needs to be replaced.

Maybe that other poster will throw me a bone here.;)
I've got three Widell .875-6 LH 2G Acme tandem taps here that I rescued from being trashed at work. If that is your thread pitch & dia. then send a PM with your mailing address. I'll send you one for the price of postage. ;)

I've got three Widell .875-6 LH 2G Acme tandem taps here that I rescued from being trashed at work. If that is your thread pitch & dia. then send a PM with your mailing address. I'll send you one for the price of postage. ;)

Thanks for the offer but the screw I've got is .750 dia. RH. :(

I have a friend that works for a large local company as a Maintenance Machinist. I gave him the stuff last night so maybe he can either find me a nut or make one and if we make one I'm going to have him use nylatron that I gave him for one and then have him make another one of brass for the other actuator. I'm also going to figure out a way to pump grease in that thing while we're reworking it.

I pulled the gearbox down yesterday and that part is perfect. I did shim some of the end play out the shaft that connects to the acme shaft though, which will also eliminate some of the slack over the top going east. I'm on 139w to 40.5w so when it crosses over 79 the slack goes to the other side and messes with my due south sats.

We'll get it fixed one way or the other. Just would be nice to find those nuts somewhere for cheap. ;)

I have some .750-6 acme lead screws with nuts but they're all LH and too short.

You're welcome anyway. :)

you confirmed my suspicions about having to cut the tab and bend it out. here is the source i have found. i may have more but id have to dig deeper.

Code:
http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=5283

crackt out,.

Do not cut the outside shaft. Use a hacksaw blade to cut the plastic nut in half lengthwise.
Remove the plastic. Make a steel tapered drift to drive into the end of the shaft. This will
spread the tabs out. Next insert new nut and squeeze the tabs into place. Hope this helps.

Problem is that one is listed for a V76-215. I have a V76-5? That -215 mover isn't even listed on the VonWeise website?

I called them but the woman that answered the phone couldn't tell me anything about compatibility with my mover. But for the price, I think I'll order one just to find out. ;) I'll need another mounting clamp also so I'll get one of those as well.

FYI, they make different thread pitch screws to change travel speed. Some have anywhere from 2 to 4+ individual threads, ie, double lead, etc that can make stuff move really quick.

And thanks for the link. I just knew that someone had to have them but none of the searches I did came up with anything close to this. Taps to use to make one run from $50 to $70 for a cheapie.

Ennywhoot, I'll take pics of the rebuild process so you guys can see how it goes back together.

WRONG NUT! :rant: WHAT THEY SHOW IN THE PICTURE IS NOT WHAT YOU GET! :mad: It's a half inch short and has the wrong mounting point. This one they sent is a yoke type mount that uses 7/16" round pins instead of the bend down 3/8" wide flat tabs.

Requested the piece in the picture or an RMA for a refund. If they can't get the correct piece then I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy an Acme tap to make some out of brass. The plastic ones lasted about 15 years so a brass one will out live me.:cool:

nut004.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: martin-f
acme taps

3/4-6, RH, straight flute tandem tap, McMaster-Carr #25345A57, $113.16 plus S&H.

OR

Victor Machinery Exchange, Inc.
victornet.com/alphabetic/Acme-Taps/317
Same tap for $78 plus S&H.

I didn't check Enco, but I think Victor has good prices.;)

Got a guy I use to work with that is going to check on one from a local vendor that he can buy from at a company discount. Also this area is overrun with machine shops so I may do some calling around next week to see who has what. Push come shove I might be able to get my friend to machine the outside and the hole and then get a job shop to run a tap through it for a modest fee.

It ain't over yet!

FYI, google this.

Sleeve Nut, 3/4 - 6 Right Hand Acme

1.250 diameter, which is right and it's 1.5 inches long, which is .5 short of the plastic one but hey, it's brass! And for the money I might just go this route since two of those would be as cheap or cheaper than a tap.

FYI, google this.

Sleeve Nut, 3/4 - 6 Right Hand Acme

1.250 diameter, which is right and it's 1.5 inches long, which is .5 short of the plastic one but hey, it's brass! And for the money I might just go this route since two of those would be as cheap or cheaper than a tap.

Plenty of load capability with the brass nut! You already have the milling mach. to cut a flat for the tube. Price is very reasonable too. Looks like a winner!

Yeah Brex I had looked at those before but was looking for something cheaper than the $25 sleeve nuts. May be able to find those at a cheaper price through Granger or McMaster Carr. Just did a quick Google search last night and found what I think I can make work. Was just hoping that I could find a direct replacement so others here could use them also. Not everyone has a Bridgeport in their shop.

For those that may want to know, there is a company called Array Technologies out in New Mexico that does have the part to repair the Von Weise movers but it is the complete inner tube assembly not just the nut and they have them for $100 plus shipping. If anyone would like to buy one of these factory pieces, Michael Reed is the guy there that I talked too. Here is the contact info.

Array Technologies, Inc.
3901 Midway Place NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109 USA

PH: 505.881.7567
FX: 505.881.7572

lone gunman if you make some brass nuts i may be interested in some. i have quite a few of these von weise jacks and most are worn. ill have to look at the threaded rods to see how many are still good.

crackt out,.

crackt I'm just going to buy two of those listed on this site:

roton.com/Mating_Components.aspx?partnumber=89520&#PN

They are $25.20 plus shipping, which is cheaper than both Mcmaster and Granger, and they are the correct diameter @ 1.250. All they will need is the flats cut in them to match the tabs in the tube. The price of 2 will likely be cheaper than a tap and the material to make them out of.

The lead screw will likely have some light rust on it but you can take most of that off with a wire brush and some manual labor. I'm going to load mine up with synthetic grease when they go back together and try to figure out a way to get more in there after it's assembled so I can grease them once and a while.

Next thing on my list is the rubber seal for the end of the outter/inner tube and the weather cover for the motor/gearbox assembly. I only got one of those left so I need another one for the other mover.

UPDATE:

Ok, for those of you that want to try to repair your Von Weise dish movers, I got a return Email from Alan Signer with Von Weise today stating that within the next week or so they will have a parts list posted on their website and WILL offer the repair nuts for these dish movers. He said that he would notify me when the site was updated with the new spare parts for sale so when that happens I'll let you guys know.

Crackt depending on price, this might be your best bet as they will be a direct replacement for the worn out ones you got now. They even have part numbers for the rubber seal parts that I need. I got a pic of the parts diagram and I'll try to post it soon as I can get uploaded to my server.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts