Voom Ces Dvr Demo Now Online!

Installation

I have a question about the installation of the DVR.
Would we get to do it ourselves or would an installer do it? If done by an installer will he also run the cables needed to network 2 or more voom boxes and would this be covered under the basic installation or would we have to pay extra for it? And will the dvr need another RG6 coax from the dish?

I was told that if you dont need any new boxes and such they would ship you the box and not go through installs inc.... I specifically asked if they were going to have a program w/o installs inc and he said yes.

Granted things could change.

First of all, thanks for the effort in posting the CES DVR Demo video.

It leaves as many questions unanswered as it answered, tho; in fact, I have to say I was disappointed at the lack of hard hitting questions from the audience. What a bunch of wusses!

I'm excited about the DVR, that's for sure. I think VOOM is foolish for not running teasers on its HD promo channels -- very basic teaser for now and more detailed previews as the release date nears -- just like Hollywood does with movie releases.

If I can lease the thing I'm in. If I'm forced to buy DVR technology hardware without HDMI output that will be severely outdated in other ways in a matter of months with no resale value, they better offer up one hell of a good price -- like $99 with free installation and a 12-month committment.

With the introduction of the additional HD channels at the same time as the DVR release, VOOM has an incredible opportunity to capture a much bigger chunk of the market. I just hope they don't blow it by missing the March release date, shipping a buggy product, expecting folks to shell out hundreds of dollars or not including network channels in their 70 HD lineup (getting stuff through the off-air antenna is not possible for many folks).

March is make it or break for VOOM.

Ilya said:
You are talking about a completely different type of dongles (cryptographic tokens). There is no need for those - VOOM has smart cards already!
Ahh but if i get that data stream running over my network I could sniff and capture the packets?

David Dietzel said:
If I'm forced to buy DVR technology hardware without HDMI output that will be severely outdated in other ways in a matter of months with no resale value, they better offer up one hell of a good price -- like $99 with free installation and a 12-month committment.
Thats rich. HDMI is basically a gimmic and of no real purpose. And if it ever combines audio and video well One can accomplish the same thing by using some wire ties to attach a tiny toslink cable to their DVI cable. DVI is all it needs. The Video signal is no "better" through HDMI than it is DVI.

joemama said:
Sorry, I'm not impressed. Also, if they don't know the networking method 2 months before it's supposed to ship, it not gonna work right right away. I can't wait to see the uproar in March when the schedule has slipped. :p
This thing has already been running on Cat5, Coax and twisted-pair phone line. I'm sure the hold up is between VOOM and Installs Inc. negotiating installation details...along with bigger dish, MPEG-4 modules, etc. However, I too am surprised the physical layer is still up in the air at this point in time. :confused: I'm sure the mods are busy trying to find the answer.

Hey, Scott,

Thanks for the video and all the effort your team puts into satguys! Now we may have to decide whether or not to get a DVR. We've lived without one but many good reasons for having one have been posted on the VOOM/Yahoo forum.

Watching HDTV under cold mostly cloudy (snow promised!) Seattle skies, Gill

Thank You Scott, Great Job.
He did say March but did not say what year. I am still apprehensive, I will believe it when I see it available on their website. I currently had the SA 8300 DVR for cable installed that has dual tuners, functions similar to the voom dvr minus the networking and records HD content. Just being able to record HD content is great.
If Voom releases the HD DVR with networking functional in march and the added channels are of quality content they just gained another subscriber. Still suffering with cable.
Do you know what the location of the second satellite is ? The first thing that grabbed my interest in Voom other than the HD Content was the satellite location Between 60-70 degrees west longitude. This is the only viable satellite content provider that I can use due to tall trees in my area.

Sorry if I'm a little slow on the take but is the USB/Ethernet network connection we are talking about a wired or a wireless connection? In other words, do I need to plan on having the ability to connect an actual wire from my HDTV to my other two tvs?

thanks, probably obvious that this is a wired connection to everyone else in this thread but me...

it would have to be because only the newest wireless 802.11g (which means you would need a fairly new hub/router, and many people dont have one) could support HD streams... there might be some sort of wireless adapter but it wont be on launch.

madpoet said:
What are they doing to "upgrade Rainbow 1"? Is it the MPEG4 upgrade, or something else?
They have new encoders that get a 5-10% better compression on MPEG2. They have been testing and tweeking them for about a month now. That is the purpose of channel 700 vs 999. 700 is on the new hardware as well as HGTV and FOOD. If/when they roll the rest of the channels to the new encoders has not been announced. They may have already done it and not told us. The only way to tell is have software prior to 7.26 and notice some channels don't display. Nobody has squawked during an install that they cannot see 1/2 the lineup, so we can assume the rollover hasn't happened yet. Flushing the supply pipeline is the most likely cause for the upgrade not happening already.

Someone said the MPEG4 is running on a test channel. Unfortunately, only silent beta testers would be able to see that currently, so we don't have any real details on that. It would give about 40% better compression than the standard MPEG2.

Does anyone know what if any effect using a homes existing coax would have on a person using a cable modem?

Impatient said:
They have new encoders that get a 5-10% better compression on MPEG2. They have been testing and tweeking them for about a month now. That is the purpose of channel 700 vs 999. 700 is on the new hardware as well as HGTV and FOOD. If/when they roll the rest of the channels to the new encoders has not been announced. They may have already done it and not told us. The only way to tell is have software prior to 7.26 and notice some channels don't display. Nobody has squawked during an install that they cannot see 1/2 the lineup, so we can assume the rollover hasn't happened yet. Flushing the supply pipeline is the most likely cause for the upgrade not happening already.

Someone said the MPEG4 is running on a test channel. Unfortunately, only silent beta testers would be able to see that currently, so we don't have any real details on that. It would give about 40% better compression than the standard MPEG2.
Selling it!!! :mad:

Wireless

With the max bandwidth of 1080i at 19.2 Mbps, wireless options are limited. B is too slow at 11 Mbps max, A has too limited range (54 Mbps max, falls off fast), G is fast enough within 20-30 feet (54 Mbps max, 24+ Mbps) but beyond that the bandwidth shrinks quickly (18, 9, 4.5, 2 Mbps), useless for HD data. Also, even the best wireless G routers and cards have fairly wild fluctuations in signal strength from very good to poor from the same location in the space of seconds.

Pre-N/Super G might be an option, with max bandwidth of 108 Mbps, the main benefits are throughputs of 35+ Mbps at 200 ft. Also, with dual-antenna reception/transmission, it is less susceptible to fluctuating signal strength.

David

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts