Voom, Direct*, Dis* Comparison

It's just a lot of growing pains with VOOM right now. I'd say it's pretty unfair to make a direct comparison between VOOM and E* or D*. The fact, people are even attempting to compare VOOM to the big boys speaks volumes for how far VOOM has come in a very short period of time. Things are only going to get better.

HeavyC said:
It's just a lot of growing pains with VOOM right now. I'd say it's pretty unfair to make a direct comparison between VOOM and E* or D*. The fact, people are even attempting to compare VOOM to the big boys speaks volumes for how far VOOM has come in a very short period of time. Things are only going to get better.

I'd have to agree with you on this.

mattyro said:
I cant even see the point of the arguing. Since day one we have all clamored for...MORE HD PROGRAMMING!!. Well, we got it- in spades. As far as the investment goes ... I invested -0- dollars. How can I not be happy? The VOOM guide is not the best but I like it enough. It tells me what I need to know and quite colorfully too I might add. Think of the Dish 6000- what a wreck that box is compared to the VOOM box. Over the years the 6000 got a little better and better to the point where it was E's most reliable box. Look at the poor bastards waitng for HDDirectivos and 921's-- they arent even releasable--and these are coming from the 2 biggest baddest superpowers in the satellite universe!!.IT'S 2004 AND THESE 2 SUPERPOWERS CANT PUT A BOX TOGETHER ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT--THEY DONT EVEN GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO RELEASE THE BOX!!! Voom will live and learn-the guide wont always go to ch100, you wont always have to go thru 3 steps to get a program guide and oh,by the way-- my 6000 couldnt give me ota program info and voom can do this right out of the box--so lets not forget VOOM is doing a lot of things right besides the problems we always hear about.
Absolutely correct Mattyro,

And again Jay has chosen to ignore, and im sure eschu will ignore it as well, the whole point of your comment. Voom is what 7 months old? And on the verge of releasing an awesome HD DVR while these other satellite superpowers are struggling to release a shadow of what that DVR will be. I agree voom is doing a great job.

And now ladies and gentlemen... we shall again hear from the tag team flamers, Jay and eschu... LMAO

discodol,

Are you Dan Quail in disguise? (potatoe)

(just kidding, typing fast I misspell constantly)

vurbano said:

And again Jay has chosen to ignore, and im sure eschu will ignore it as well, the whole point of your comment. Voom is what 7 months old? And on the verge of releasing an awesome HD DVR while these other satellite superpowers are struggling to release a shadow of what that DVR will be. I agree voom is doing a great job.

And now ladies and gentlemen... we shall again hear from the tag team flamers, Jay and eschu... LMAO

Vurbano, again you decide to get on the offensive and attack me for pointing out FACTS! You even resort to arguing that VOOM has a great HD DVR coming , while the other satellite services are "struggling" to release one, when that couldn't even be farther from the truth. I can't speak for E*, as I don't have service through them, and don't check up on what they've got coming. But I can tell you D* will have an HD Tivo dvr, and currently has an sd Tivo DVR that is one the best dvr's on the market. Let's be realistic here, there is no current date set to release this powerful dvr from VOOM yet, so no reason to even go there, with this topic. Let's get back to the *real* issues at hand vurbano. Not some future promises by a company that still has a lot of bugs to work out on their current technology. And yes I understand that they are working them out, but let's not go over board with your undying love for VOOM.

GeneWildershair said:
Vurbano, again you decide to get on the offensive and attack me for pointing out FACTS! You even resort to arguing that VOOM has a great HD DVR coming , while the other satellite services are "struggling" to release one, when that couldn't even be farther from the truth. I can't speak for E*, as I don't have service through them, and don't check up on what they've got coming. But I can tell you D* will have an HD Tivo dvr, and currently has an sd Tivo DVR that is one the best dvr's on the market. Let's be realistic here, there is no current date set to release this powerful dvr from VOOM yet, so no reason to even go there, with this topic. Let's get back to the *real* issues at hand vurbano. Not some future promises by a company that still has a lot of bugs to work out on their current technology. And yes I understand that they are working them out, but let's not go over board with your undying love for VOOM.
The only thing overboard is your obsession with knocking a 7 month old company. will D*'s HD PVR have 4 tuners? dont think so. will I be able to play music from my PC or display pictures from my PC on D*'s PVR? havent heard about that. Will D*'s serve my entire house? vooms will. ANd how long did it take d*? Vooms' is due out this year thats good enough for me. This kind of continual progress from voom is impressive.

HeavyC said:
I agree and hopefully the flamers will go suck on their pacifiers.

I agree w/ growing pains, and I love VOOM going all out, but I really feel they shot themselves in the foot using Motorola for STB, expecially given the 4DTV STB disasters. There is no excuse for MOT to release bad code like they do.
I just hope VOOM can get past this and poorly educated (about VOOM installations) installers and stem the tide.

vurbano said:
The only thing overboard is your obsession with knocking a 7 month old company. will D*'s HD PVR have 4 tuners? dont think so. ANd how long did it take d*? Vooms' is due out this year thats good enough for me. This kind of continual progress from voom is impressive.

That's total B.S. vurbano! Just because I decide to speak up, and report when I find things that are wrong with VOOM, that makes me a VOOM basher? Give me a break. Also don't act like VOOM releasing an HD dvr this year is something special. Hd is just starting to come to the masses at a cheaper price, and that's what is driving *all* the cable, and satellite providers to release one this year. The demend for one is *just now* getting louder. I could say VOOM made a mistake by not at least bringing us an SD DVR when they launched, because the "superpowers" have had them for quite awhile. But that would be too easy, and really unfair. Just go on and keep making love to your "flawless" STB, and wait for that magical DVR to come out. I'm sure that will be just as "flawless" as your current STB. Right?

Jay again your ignoring the topic, my original post was to merely agree with mattyro. But you persist in making this a V* flaming thread.

again mattyro is absolutely right, Voom may have some technical issues they are working through but they are way ahead in their HD offierngs, HDPVR development that will blow the socks off anything anyone else has and their dedication to HD viewers.

In my opinion an SD PVR is worthless. Voom was created for HD delivery, SD is a necessary evil. The HD PVR V* is developing sounds very special so I will act appropriately about it. TYVM

vurbano said:
Jay again your ignoring the topic, my original post was to merely agree with mattyro. But you persist in making this a V* flaming thread.

again mattyro is absolutely right, Voom may have some technical issues they are working through but they are way ahead in their HD offierngs, HDPVR development that will blow the socks off anything anyone else has and their dedication to HD viewers.

In my opinion an SD PVR is worthless. Voom was created for HD delivery, SD is a necessary evil. The HD PVR V* is developing sounds very special so I will act appropriately about it. TYVM

I'm not taking sides here, but my Series 2 Tivo still gets alot of use. It's out the window once I get an HD PVR, though. I also think Jay is just pointing out problems with the service, not bashing it. And from what Wilt has said, these are problems that as of yet have not been fixed. I am looking forward to the PVR, but I question whether 4 tuners will ever be a reality, and also the affordability. Has anyone ever leased a PVR? I imagine Voom will make us buy, it will be expensive, initial supplies will be low, those first getting it will rub it in everyone else's face, and we'll all be mad at Voom for making them too expensive AND for not producing enough of them.

I also have to agree that Jay is not bashing VOOM. He's just pointing out the obvious problems with the service, most of which I see also.

After all, if people don't point out the problems, VOOM may have never fixed them, or try to fix them, in the first place.

It's only getting better.

Interesting thread! I'm a new voomer(5 weeks) but have been with Dish for over six
years. For the most part, I've always admired Dish for providing great value at a fair
price, but recently I've become frustrated by the lack of commitment to HD programming. I think the problem is they are spreading themselves too thin and are
trying have their finger every pie. Voom, on the other hand, has a more limited objective, be the leader in HD. I know there are issues about STBs and on-screen guides, etc. but if your main interest is HD content they have left Dish and Direct TV
in dust! A DVR will be critical to the future, but I would rather they take enough time to do it right.

vurbano said:

I only flame that which deserves flaming-your turn jay-tag-lol

Damn...

Damn, I just wanted to know if the pricing was close on the 3 services for HBO/Showtime/DHD...LOL

Anyone have any luck with a PC DVR setup using Voom? Couldn't that be a low-cost option?

Scubasoul said:
I also have to agree that Jay is not bashing VOOM. He's just pointing out the obvious problems with the service, most of which I see also.

After all, if people don't point out the problems, VOOM may have never fixed them, or try to fix them, in the first place.

It's only getting better.
sorry didnt know this was a "complain about voom problems or they may never fix them" thread, pardon me. I thought the thread was to compare the 3 providers.

Warning - Use at your own risk

Manual Tune Process for viewing ESPN & ESPN2
Change channel to 204 or 206
Press Voom Button
Press Green Button (Options & Settings)
Select System Settings
Select 8 (Installation Settings)
Press 9 8 8
Select 1 (Manual Tune)
Make sure "Right_Vert" is checked
Select Tune

Note: As soon as I change the channel eveything goes back to normal for me. The manual tune appears to be temporary. Which is good.

briani said:
Interesting thread! I'm a new voomer(5 weeks) but have been with Dish for over six
years. For the most part, I've always admired Dish for providing great value at a fair
price, but recently I've become frustrated by the lack of commitment to HD programming. I think the problem is they are spreading themselves too thin and are
trying have their finger every pie. Voom, on the other hand, has a more limited objective, be the leader in HD. I know there are issues about STBs and on-screen guides, etc. but if your main interest is HD content they have left Dish and Direct TV
in dust! A DVR will be critical to the future, but I would rather they take enough time to do it right.
You got it right. Take thier time and develop a better more advanced HD DVR than everyone elses. Exactly the game plan. But still, more HD than anywhere else and an HD PVR. Pretty impressive in the 1st year.

GeneWildershair said:
hehe... you start off your post with "I don't see the point of even arguing", yet you end with making your argument about VOOM's STB being better than E's? Yeah great post! BTW I could go on and on about how much greater the D*'s STB's are over VOOM's, but I don't really feel there's a need.
funny can you show me where he says vooms stb is better than E*'s ?
looks like your just making stuff up.

"I cant even see the point of the arguing. Since day one we have all clamored for...MORE HD PROGRAMMING!!. Well, we got it- in spades. As far as the investment goes ... I invested -0- dollars. How can I not be happy? The VOOM guide is not the best but I like it enough. It tells me what I need to know and quite colorfully too I might add. Think of the Dish 6000- what a wreck that box is compared to the VOOM box. Over the years the 6000 got a little better and better to the point where it was E's most reliable box. Look at the poor bastards waitng for HDDirectivos and 921's-- they arent even releasable--and these are coming from the 2 biggest baddest superpowers in the satellite universe!!.IT'S 2004 AND THESE 2 SUPERPOWERS CANT PUT A BOX TOGETHER ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT--THEY DONT EVEN GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO RELEASE THE BOX!!! Voom will live and learn-the guide wont always go to ch100, you wont always have to go thru 3 steps to get a program guide and oh,by the way-- my 6000 couldnt give me ota program info and voom can do this right out of the box--so lets not forget VOOM is doing a lot of things right besides the problems we always hear about."

Nope cant find it.

NewMexico,

What type of input, I have a MyHD, but you need to get HD in from the box. You can get it as 480i, but I have had trouble with the guide on the VOOM box working to switch ver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)