VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd...15-voom-channels-post1370769.html#post1370769

Here's the problem - There are those claiming that Voom has been showing the same thing for 3 years and that if you ran your dvr long enough you would not need to ever watch Voom again. That is not correct. Voom content for the most part did not consist of first run programming from other channels or current movies either so people looking for something familiar couldn't find that either unless it was from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Even some things from early 2000s would show up occasionally but it consisted of mostly content not seen anywhere else. However, even though the recognizable content was from the 70s, 80s, and 90s it was very high quality HD in OAR format without interruption. The premium channels are 99% the same thing only most movies are not presented in OAR.

So I checked the links and went right to Monsterhd because that was the voom channel I watched the most. I found no new programming until april (when it was to late). They would list marathons of the Halloween movies, Frankenstein movies and Bruce Campbell, but nothing new. Since Monsters was the top channel for them you would think that they would get some new programming.

Last edited:
Maybe 2 or 3 a month and mostly stuff nobody looked at in the theater.

99% of Premiums is the same as Voom movies only not presented in OAR.

Now that's why there will never be an end to this back and forth. Most of Voom's content was current but not from the theater - it was original content. Movies shown on Voom could range from the 60s all the way up to a few years previous. Nobody said Voom was like AMC - AMC is crap ad ridden useless these days. I wouldn't take money to watch it. Most of Voom's channels also had new content regularly but once again it was original programming not JoeSixpack top 40 features.

Well, Crap in OAr HD is still crap. It seems like Voom bought low budget filler for the most part and had some quality programming mixed in. Which you can say about any channel, but voom replayed the crap more than the quality. Also, there was months and months where all the played was the crap.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd...15-voom-channels-post1370769.html#post1370769

Here's the problem - There are those claiming that Voom has been showing the same thing for 3 years and that if you ran your dvr long enough you would not need to ever watch Voom again. That is not correct. Voom content for the most part did not consist of first run programming from other channels or current movies either so people looking for something familiar couldn't find that either unless it was from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Even some things from early 2000s would show up occasionally but it consisted of mostly content not seen anywhere else. However, even though the recognizable content was from the 70s, 80s, and 90s it was very high quality HD in OAR format without interruption. The premium channels are 99% the same thing only most movies are not presented in OAR.

interesting quotes from those links:

Is it me or has the programming lineup been a little weak over the summer?

I hope this isn't like the Monster Truck Rally that was supposed to air back in Nobember 2004...we're still waiting.

Damn, nothing new on Rave?

DISCLAIMER: All shows will be repeated ad nauseum during the month so you won't miss anything.:eek:

Nothing new on Monsters?

Slim pickings! I miss not having VOOM, but it will only be a distant memory if they don't improve the programming lineup.

Voom is on it's last legs.. you can feel it.

and finally:

Voom isn't dead folks! Good stuff coming up...

Most of Voom movies were not expensive blockbusters (those I can buy on Pay Per View or find in the Blockbuster nearby). Voom focused on highly rated and hard to find classics and art house productions. People that don't know that don't deserve to post on this thread. I'll give you only a few examples, showing on Voom right now:
City of God (2002), IMDB top 18
Amelie (2001), IMDB top 42
Barbarian Invasions (2003), 7.9 IMDB rating
Day Break (2005), 7.6 IMDB rating
These are just a few examples. Despite repetition (as in most channels), I'd always see something in the listing that I had not seen before. Example, Visconti's "Le Notti Bianche" is on right now, and I hadn't noticed it in the lineup before. Even if I would watch 3 movies per week, it would take me years to watch all highly-rated movies that were available on Voom channels. And I don't know of any other source with such an extensive library of art house productions in HD with high quality audio, video, OAR, no ads, etc.

Again you two have taken over this thread for the purpose of getting it closed. It blows my mind that the MODS here let this happen.

Again you two have taken over this thread for the purpose of getting it closed. It blows my mind that the MODS here let this happen.
Why would they close it? I don't care if this topic stays, 1 thread is ok , 15 was a little crazy like before Scott cleaned house. Because some of us choose to not like Voom all that much, We don't have just as much of a right to say whats on our minds over and over. You guys say the same thing Over and Over. Each one of you count how many times you've posted in this thread. I'm being civil. I could chime in here with a one word sentence, But since there's only 1 Voom thread, thats not needed.

Yep! Thats what people do when their wrong. They try to turn it around to avoid answering a question we all know the answer too.
I am not silent on this matter. I checked Voom's schedule and found movies airing this very week that fall into recent. I'm just not going to fall into the trap that you've layed out. You think we should respond to your "prove it" questions, when you're thesis is invalid to the point of absurdity. No answers that anyone provides are truly good enough for you. You continue to shift your questioning in a deliberate attempt to dead end folks. I don't get why you persist in this debate, but acknowledge your right to do so.

Speed is crap. FX is crap. Fuel is crap. Spike is crap. TNT is crap. USA is crap. TBS is crap. Bravo is crap. These channels show the same crap over and over and over and over.

Just because I say these channels are crap and repetitive doesn't mean they're crap (even though they are).

If I monthly, weekly, daily, hourly posted in the "When will we see Speed HD?" or "When will we get FX HD?" threads that it is good that E* is not wasting bandwidth on such crap channels, I'd get the same reaction that those who constantly post here get when they gleefully cheer that E* removed Voom.

Speed is crap. FX is crap. Fuel is crap. Spike is crap. TNT is crap. USA is crap. TBS is crap. Bravo is crap. These channels show the same crap over and over and over and over.\ .
I agree, They are Crap. Between all of them they might have as much HD Programming as 1 VOOM channel. I'll give you that much. I can do without these channels with no problem what so ever. VOOM was the best at PQ and amount of HD. Content is where VOOM was Lacking. All VOOM had to do was add NEW programming. And they didn't. And I don't buy the E* told us not too story. Thats a copout!

Why is this debate hinging on movies? Movies are the last thing I watched on Voom. (My GF liked MonstersHD but I thought it was crap, repeats or not.) I watched Rave and Equator. Yes they repeated a lot, but think of it this way, it saved precious DVR space. It was almost like VOD that you didn't have to pay for.

interesting quotes from those links:

Yes, and all those quotes were for one particular channel not the whole package. Everyone has their favorite channel. You are choosing to ignore all the evidence that Voom put on as much if not more new content as any other channel and cherry picking comments that you then purport to mean the whole package was worthless. Show me one channel that is NOT Voom that everyone is praising and meets all the requirements you put on Voom. It cannot be found. The reason: They are ALL THE SAME - Voom was just better.

Define NEW - I have already shown that Voom added new shows and new episodes of shows every month.

This debate is just going in circles. There is no objective definition of what is an acceptable level of new programming. Some posters saw too little and some saw enough. But endlessly citing that thee was some new HD really doesn't solve anything---nor does posting that there was NOT enough.

The only thing to really debate is whether VOOM met the spend requirement---but that was based on $ not hours of HD content. And we have already seen that folks pretty much line up in the normal pro or anti VOOM camps on that one.

Last edited:
This debate is just going in circles. There is no objective definition of what is an acceptable level of new programming. Some posters saw too little and some saw enough. But endlessly citing that thee was some new HD really doesn't solve anytghing---nor doe posting that there was NOT enough.

The only thing to really debate is whether VOOM met the spend requirement---but that was based on $ not hours of HD content. And we have already seen that folks pretty much line up in the normal pro or anti VOOm camps on that one.

Actually, I don't give a rats ass about how much VOOM did or didn't spend - it's not about that. I want to know what is going to happen to all the content that they have in their vaults. I don't care if they bring VOOM back as long as the content gets back on the air on a commercial free HD channel or group of channels.

Mario

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)