VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
O.K.-The thing is, this HAD to be a problem a while back for VOOM and Dish. Things like this don't happen overnight (no pun intended). If this was an issue for both parties, why didn't Charlie and his cohorts have some other plan waiting in the wings? Surely he could've approached other HD "carriers?" when this quagmire all started and killed 2 birds with one stone (instead of killing 15)? Is there that much of a lack of HD "carriers" out there? I'd like to think not with all the buzz (HDTV sales) surrounding HD in the last year or so. It seems like the next great business venture in the TV world. Example: Mark Cuban

I am so $&^#%$!# angry...VOOM was the only reason I chose these bastards a few years back when VOOM went bust...of all the worthless programming they force us to subscribe to that they could've removed...they just lost a good customer once my contract ends...

I am so $&^#%$!# angry...VOOM was the only reason I chose these bastards a few years back when VOOM went bust...of all the worthless programming they force us to subscribe to that they could've removed...they just lost a good customer once my contract ends...

I am with you.

Anyone know how this affects VOOM recordings archived on your EHD ??

I watched a Heart concert that I recorded on Sunday last night. It was kind of weird to see the Voom and Rave logo knowing that they may never come back. I also played a little bit of the Queen concert in Montreal. You know I'm saving those 2 concerts.

I watched a Heart concert that I recorded on Sunday last night. It was kind of weird to see the Voom and Rave logo knowing that they may never come back. I also played a little bit of the Queen concert in Montreal. You know I'm saving those 2 concerts.

I have been playing a Peter Gabriel concert from the Voom Rave channel. I think it is time to reduce to the Essential pak.

I am glad I saved all the VOOM concerts I liked. There's some pretty good ones on HD Net but MHD's a bust due to irritating commercials, IMO.

I am with you.
I reduced my programing today by about $50. It's hard to understand why anyone would stick with Dish. They have fewer HD channels, (about 20) cost more money ($20 more for the same package I get), and (according to what I am now seeing on the AVS forums) more compressed.

The only reason to stick around now is because of the DVR.

hey guys sent this to voom network:
Hey guys,

So sorry to see that they took off my Voom channels, man, I really don't know what to say. Unfortunately, we don't live in NY area to get it via cable (my local Comcast is on an old analog system, so sat. service is the only way to go). Hopefully, you will be offering Direct Tv your fine services, if so (and believe me I will), I will sign up with them. Good luck and God bless.

Phillip Tuck
"aRe yOu aLsO dIvErGeNt, fRiEnD?"

and there reply:

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for contacting us about the VOOM HD channels. We truly regret that our world class suite of 15 high definition channels is no longer available to you and other Dish subscribers, but this decision was made solely by the Dish Network and is something we urged them not to do. We hope that you will be able to view the VOOM HD channels again soon.

If you would like to express your dissatisfaction with Dish’s decision to drop the VOOM channels then please contact them directly.
VOOM HD Networks

might just be a power play be charlie? something up in the air about getting them somewhere else? not 100 % sure :)

I reduced my programing today by about $50. It's hard to understand why anyone would stick with Dish. They have fewer HD channels, (about 20) cost more money ($20 more for the same package I get), and (according to what I am now seeing on the AVS forums) more compressed.

Agreed!!!

I left because I got tired of being mis-quoted and made to feel like an idiot just because I'm not an HD know-it-all.

Ahhhh yes...Definitely no techno-snobs over there. They are especially nice to newb's who ask questions that were asked already (probably about 10 years prior) and people blow up and tell them to do a search. The trouble is, the database could probably fill a Norad server and it would take WEEKS to weed through it to find the answer. Great stuff. :up

Ahhhh yes...Definitely no techno-snobs over there. They are especially nice to newb's who ask questions that were asked already (probably about 10 years prior) and people blow up and tell them to do a search. The trouble is, the database could probably fill a Norad server and it would take WEEKS to weed through it to find the answer. Great stuff. :up
Everyone here has been nothing but nice, so far. To all: I'M NOT AN HD PRO/SNOB/KNOW-IT-ALL AND I MAY FROM TIME TO TIME ASK A STUPID (TO YOU ALL) QUESTION...OR TWO. I CAN TAKE CRITICISM BUT WITH THAT BEING SAID, JUST DON'T BEAT ME UP FOR IT, PLEASE! THANKS! I feel better now. O.K., back to the topic at hand!:)

Wonder why Voom is so hesitant to cut back their channels? I would rather have 7 awesome channels rather than 15 that repeat. Can you imagine how great Monstershd could be with more $? I like it as is but it could even be better. Nothing wrong with them selling 7 great channels instead of their 15.

I believe (from reading the court document posted) that VOOM would get less money from Echostar if they reduced the number of channels. It does not really cost VOOM anything to split 1 channels content over 3 channels, it just brings in 3x the revenue.

It's hard to understand why anyone would stick with Dish. They have fewer HD channels, (about 20) cost more money ($20 more for the same package I get), and (according to what I am now seeing on the AVS forums) more compressed.

I'll explain my situation why I am sticking with Dish, by addressing the issues you brought up.

1) Fewer HD Channels - The bulk of HD I watch is my network programming, which I get. So this is not a big deal.

2) Costs More Money - For the channels & equipment I have, D* would cost me $25/month more, and ComCRAP would cost me $35/month more.

3) Compression - It's always been an issue, but it really comes down to the eye of the watcher. I personally think the PQ with E* has been (on average) better than the D* PQ at my parents' house.

So, based on this, I think I have a pretty legitimate claim on why I'm staying put, and I would hardly call myself an idiot as some other posters have implied about those sticking with Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)