VOOM gone OTA here

dishguy said:
I have a short wing antenna installed with Voom. Voom stb used be able to pick up all OTA in Chicago. 811 can only pickup half of them. What kind of power supply would work with a wing antenna like that?

Thank you very much

Just replace the crappy wing with a $22 RatShack UHF and you should be fine. Mine gets much better reception than the wing, so they never even connected it after testing it.

Lob

If your OTA antenna needs power, use the Voom setup as is. with diplexer and switch. If your paranoid about a kill signal still coming from a satellite Voom doesn't even own or operate any more, simplty disconnect the LNB feed into the multi switch, leaving the switch to provide power to OTA via STB.
If Voom wanted to send a kill signal - it would allready be in place as a "time bomb".

Well seems like VOOM Did, I had the OTA this morning, and turned TV off, went out for 5mins came back and disconnected the LNB, couple mins later no OTA.
They probably sent the kill signal the time I was out.

Damn
xan_user said:
If your OTA antenna needs power, use the Voom setup as is. with diplexer and switch. If your paranoid about a kill signal still coming from a satellite Voom doesn't even own or operate any more, simplty disconnect the LNB feed into the multi switch, leaving the switch to provide power to OTA via STB.
If Voom wanted to send a kill signal - it would allready be in place as a "time bomb".

If your OTA is gone now anyway... try hooking up the LNB again - just for chits and giggles...?

I did, no result no more OTA HD for me:(((

I need to call my local cable company

xan_user said:
If your OTA is gone now anyway... try hooking up the LNB again - just for chits and giggles...?

When reporting loss of OTA it would help if certain details were included.
1) leased or owned receiver
2) all receivers in house or just one/some
3) any wiring changes that could have killed your antenna

As predicted, we are getting conflicting information about OTA -- it would be nice to find some common elements or see if it is just a fluke

JL

Also how about reports of any menu changes or ability to scan, and aim OTA...

Rental, All receivers lost the OTA.
I went to the menu and all signals are 0.
I only disconnected the LNB, but I might be too late

justalurker said:
When reporting loss of OTA it would help if certain details were included.
1) leased or owned receiver
2) all receivers in house or just one/some
3) any wiring changes that could have killed your antenna

As predicted, we are getting conflicting information about OTA -- it would be nice to find some common elements or see if it is just a fluke

JL

Mine working fine......

I've got two leased receivers and they still work perfect for OTA. The only problem I've had today is losing the guide data on both due to a power failure in my area for a split second. Now, I'm surfing blind-sightedly.

I can tell you I have tired everything to get mine back just to see if I could and no luck and mine was leased. I can tell you all this , When I had voom a while back and had it uninstalled they never came back and got the receiver I called them but no one showed up and I never had a charge for it . I took it out of the closet and hooked it up and the OTA works on it just fine no program guide but I get all my OTA channels on it.

I was watching HD locals last night until 1 am. This morning the receiver is totally dead. No OSD no channels nothing. So it appears they sent some sort of kill signal. I did not disconnect or change anything. I simply left it as installed.

OTA Digital & HD with the Voom Button works still works

Hay ....

after watching my last viewing of LAB and HDNews I disconnected the Voom's multiplexors (with tears in my eyes :( ) and connected the feed line to the OTA input on stb and now about 60 OTA digital & HD stations along with HDNet (ota) something we get free in the local area all work perfectly this morning (Sunday) :)

The Voom button fully functional, the Station descriptors fully functional with all local OTA digital & HD stations times and shows even all of Voom's descriptors are still there to remind me what I'm missing :no

There is little trust if any in any of the offers to get me to switch over to the alternative HD and cable or satellite sources .

I'll save big bucks $$$ and be my own Digital and HD provider thank's to Voom's
kind of ... Thank you and good bye present ;)

For now... I miss Voom but I guess I'll subscribe to NetFlix and keep my OTA Digital and HD (Free of change) service

the Voomster :rainbow

It was far better to have .. had Voom for One year , then to have never experienced Quality HD at all.... :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Voom receiver still receiving OTA

I've been reading the threads about the Motorola Voom 550 used only for OTA. Here is my input.

A friend had Voom service with a rented receiver. He converted to Comcast cable and it was installed at noon on Saturday 4/24/05. He unplugged (power and antenna) from the Voom 550 at that time. I borrowed the receiver from him the next day, and hooked it up to my UHF antenna.

After pushing the red buttom on the front behind the small door, and fumbling thru the setup screens, I got it scan.

As of now (5/1/05 2pm EDT) I am still getting OTA signals. It works great! Hovever, no EPG, no on screen info, just channel numbers and picture.

Ron

reason your guide data doesn't work........

graffon, the reason why the guide data doesn't work at all is because Voom only sent that out via the satellite. In order to get guide data on a newly scanned in channel, you had to inform Voom to put that information into their uplink. There is a PSIP portion of the receiver that is currently switched off through the software. It's not deliberately switched off, it's just that they weren't using it at the time. If somebody knows some trick to get this function working let me know because each station sends out their programming information through their PSIP data signals.

Stuck the V* receivers in the closet

I had OTA here until I unplugged the boxes this morning. I stuck them in the closet for now and hooked up the Cox Cable HD-DVR boxes. :river :river :river

I miss V*, but I am waiting to see which way the V* ashes blow before I switch from cable to another provider.

OTA still on here in Ft.Lauderdale area... just in case I am going to unplug sat/phone and hope for the best.. its the only HD I have left for now... this sucks.

ota works here

My ota works fine. I wonder if the people that are losing it are the ones that have powered antenna and with no satellite there is no power. Just a guess. Took dish down today.

My OTA is fine, and I do have the powered antenna. Last night I left one hooked up and unhooked the other one. Just tried them both, and they're fine...no satellite signal of course. Vicki

Help ID this antenna...

Hey all... This is the antenna that the installer put on... I wasn't home when they did it and my wife doesn't remember...

I'm pretty sure it needs power from the STB since when I pluged it directly to my TV's tuner... I could only get 1 or 2 channels.

Question is what antenna is it and what power supply (injector?) do I need?

The antenna was a small black W on the bottom.

Help is appreciated... I know I could use the STB, but my TV has a tuner and can get the show data OTA.

Thanks!
:confused:

Attachments

• DSCN0970.jpg
    DSCN0970.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 243
JunX said:
Hey all... This is the antenna that the installer put on... I wasn't home when they did it and my wife doesn't remember...

I'm pretty sure it needs power from the STB since when I pluged it directly to my TV's tuner... I could only get 1 or 2 channels.

Question is what antenna is it and what power supply (injector?) do I need?

The antenna was a small black W on the bottom.

Help is appreciated... I know I could use the STB, but my TV has a tuner and can get the show data OTA.

Thanks!
:confused:

That looks to be the Winegard Sensar III. Below is a link to their website. They have all of the technical specs and accessories listed. The part number that you will need is PS-9370 power supply.

http://www.winegard.com/offair/sensar.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts