Voom HD is Coming June 26th through 28th

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
BTW,

Voom is only going to get better. I had email conversation with their producers. These guys are working all over the globe with production company doing new programs. It is only fair to say that it can only get better from here.
Careful, Sean, that's like saying that it couldn't get any worse. :)

VOOM has a lot of material that does not interest, but they do have something for everyone - except for Kung FU, I love the movie channels, Equator and Gameplay. Of course, if people are into Wraslin', sitcoms, and juvenile movies then VOOM will not meet their needs.

I briefly scanned the channels since receiving Voom on Thursday in Long Island, all new Voom channels were available I have Cablevision of Hauppauge. I did notice that all the Voom channels did not display the program that was currently playing, it only displays "no data available".

I thought perhaps it needed a reboot so I unplugged it and rebooted, same result. I have 2 Scientific Atlanta 4250HD boxes and they both behave the same. Do others have this problem or is it specific to my area?

Sean, have you done any comparison between VOOM on E* and CV? Also, if VOOM 1280 or 1920 on CV?

I do not have a way to determine the 1280 vs 1920 yet. Unfortunately I do not have a recorder hooked to the firewire output to determine this.

Now as to my own comparison based only on my eye sight without any numbers. I only looked at Equator HD, filmfest and WordSport HD. Both boxes are connected through component. I see very little difference. Equator HD shows a tiny crippier signal on CV than E*. But the difference is not much to wow anyone. On WorldSport HD, I see the same problems that we saw on Dish. I have yet to catch an encore soccer game to see if I see the same problems. I watched the alpine chronicles on both E* and CV and both looked the same. I had the same experience on filmfest. I looked at Frida on both systems and Frida had this little distinct difference on CV.

This little difference is not much but we still have the same questions or even worse.

1 - If CV is providing the same 1280x1080i as Dish and same bitrate... It will explain the no significance difference between the two.

2- If some how CV provides 1920x1080i but bitrate is low it could also lead to the same conclusion.

I hate to find out that CV is giving us 1920x1080i at the same bitrate and we do not see a difference. That will be a hard pill to swallow. Also, we do not know if 1440x1080i is being used here either. This was how voom was transmitted on Voom DBS in the old days. So CV could be using this and with higher bitrates to make it look like E* and some how this tiny difference I am seeing in EQuator HD and filmfest could be do to the 1440x1080i.

None of my statements above are verifiable or backed up by numbers. I want to really see what the resolution and bitrates are before making a final assesment either way.

In conclusion, no one can tell these channels apart on either system. The difference is quite minimal. I need to check the other channels as well.

Is it just me...

...or do these VoOm channels suck?

I mean they may have been something to look at before a lot of networks had HD channels available. Now they seem like a colossal waste of bandwidth. What I want is FOOD-HD, Sci-Fi HD and Comedy Central HD (When Available)... Also the recently announced additional HD Discovery networks channels would be nice. I've been flipping through these voom channels since they appeared and there is absolutely nothing worth watching.

I dont know, I watch the chilli pepper concert last night on rave. Yesterday morning watched Christine on Monsters HD, dont know why but watch it everytime its on. Saw part of a show called my burning back about a guy who survived a atom bomb and what he has to go thru, I saw like five minutes where they were showing his back and burns/scars. On another channel I believe Gallery or Treasure I was watching about the Forbes Fabrage egg collection. Since they have been added I can honestly say on my hdtv I have not watched any sd programming :)

What I want is FOOD-HD, Sci-Fi HD and Comedy Central HD (When Available)... Also the recently announced additional HD Discovery networks channels would be nice. I've been flipping through these voom channels since they appeared and there is absolutely nothing worth watching.
Talk about three channels that should be sh*t-canned...I grab a skilled or dine-out if I am hungry, would probably gouge-out-my-eyes if they were see any of the mind-junk on Sci-Fi, and the shows on Comedy Central just aren't funny...or else they wouldn't be on Comedy Central. Sorry, but one man's cup of tea is another man's tea baggin'.:eek:

Anyway, I am all for additional HD channels and offering programming that appeals to everyone. Of course, all channels should be al a carte because I feel that no one should be forced to subsidize programming they do not watch nor do not want.

after a few days of checking out the voom channels i think they are pretty weak!
i have not found one show to hold my interest for more than a few minutes on any of the channels. very disappointing! now i know why VoOM failed as a provider.

I concur that these channels are essentially worthless. The concerts on Rave are cool, but, other than that; Video Games? Animation? Crappy News? Crappy Sports? Crappy Movies? Come on.

Furthermore, now I'm going to have to extend my "favorite" channels to include the HD channels, as now there are a ton of worthless channels in between the ones I actually want to watch.

Hopefully the bandwidth needed to serve these channels will not impact getting better HD programming in the near future.

Hopefully the bandwidth needed to serve these channels will not impact getting better HD programming in the near future.

if you read the press release it says by the end of the year they will have the capacity for 500hd channels so I dont believe bandwith will be an issue

if you read the press release it says by the end of the year they will have the capacity for 500hd channels so I dont believe bandwith will be an issue

As long as; "by the end of the year" means; "in time for the MLB playoffs and playoff stretch run", and that 2 of those 500 channels are TBS HD and ESPN2 HD.

Let's just say, I'm not optimistic.

If Voom! impacts CV's ability to get the MLB playoffs on the air in HD, then, that's a bummer.

Last edited:
Voom?

:)Voom only has 15 channels or do they have more channels? , and will there will more channels from Voom soon? I hope i like there channels so far:)

VOOM HD used to consist of 21 original channels when they were carried exclusively by VOOM DBS. They dropped-down to 15 channels (actully only 10 for a while) when they moved over to Dish Network. I have heard no rumors about them adding additional channels, but the CEO of E* mentioned there could be additional VOOM channels later this year on Dish Network (he briefly mentioned this back in January).

Anyway, I would not be surprised to see a few newly created VOOM channels to the E* lineup to stay ahead of DirecTV as the HD numbers race heats up...since Dish Network has an ownership interest in VOOM.

Anyway, I would not be surprised to see a few newly created VOOM channels to the E* lineup to stay ahead of DirecTV as the HD numbers race heats up...since Dish Network has an ownership interest in VOOM.

If they add them to E* then they will be adding them to cablevision as well because thats one of rainbows rules when taking voom you have to agree to take all of the programming in the voom suite.

...as long as they have the bandwidth to add them. I believe that is why they waited 3+ years to add VOOM to the CV lineup.

considering they have said they will have the abilty for over 500 hd channel by the end of the year I dont think that will be an issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)