VOOM Installations

He is saying he might not do the installation , he says he needs an ok from voom to install a directtv dish in place of a voom one even temporarily

That's not good. Didn't he check before coming to your house to make sure he had a dish with him? The dish, receiver and the stealth antenna come in three different packages all labeled.

He had one big box that he opened in front of me, it had a bunch of stuff in it, 2 receivers in boxes, one stealth antenna, one stealth amplifier, one dish mount, one padded envelope that included 2 remotes, 2 diplexers, 2 cabling kits, 2 of those boxes that slide in the back, one welcome kit, NO DISH!!!! (I only ordered a single receiver system)
-----------------
Installer got call from his boss, he gave me One receiver, one stealth with amplifier installed, one dish mount, one cabling kit, one remote, one board that slides in back, and the welcome kit....and LEFT!!!! Her said DirectTV 3 LNB dish would not work......gonna send another tech tomorrow to put up a single LNB Dish Network dish till Voom dish shows up.

Somebody shoot me

Yeah. Very dissapointed but you will laugh and smile tomorrow. there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there. :)

Sean Mota said:
Yeah. Very dissapointed but you will laugh and smile tomorrow. there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there. :)

Yeah, there is always tomorrow, but today I am gonna shoot myself, what will go wrong tomorrow?.....something for sure

News from VOOM: Time to get ready for installation!

Just got this e-mail today dated 12/9/03. This came from installs Inc. This is what's wrong with Installs Inc they do not know what's going on...

I was installed a long time ago...around 11/25/03....

Dear Sean Mota,
Thank you for your recent VOOM purchase. You're one step closer to life in high definition! Here are some details and suggestions to help you prepare for VOOM installation.

Contact Information For Your Installer
Your local installer will be contacting you to confirm your installation appointment. If you need to reach them, here is their contact information:

Company: Installs Inc
Phone Number: (888) 987-3474
E-mail Address: DISPATCH@INSTALLS.COM

Getting Ready For Installation
Keep in mind that the installer will need to go in and out of your house to check the VOOM equipment setup and ensure the best possible performance of your exciting new system. Please clear a path to your TV set(s) and disconnect all wiring to ensure easy access and quicker setup time.

Installation Overview
You have requested an installation for VOOM 2 ROOM INSTALLATION. Your installation will include (specific procedure varies by installation type purchased):

Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
Ground satellite antenna and cable to local/NEC standards.
Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
Activate customer-selected programming.
Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

Additional Services
If you request the installer to perform additional work beyond what is included in the scope of work, the technician will provide a quote for the requested work prior to beginning the installation. Some examples of work resulting in additional charges include:

Wall-fishing to conceal cables in your walls (pricing varies based on access to wall(s) to be fished)
Pole mount, non-penetrating roof mount (pricing varies based on type of mount necessary)
Cable burial (pricing varies based on length and type of burial)
Installations requiring a 40-foot ladder (pricing based on local rental rate)

Any additional work you request or require will be determined by your technician and approved by you before the work begins. You will pay your technician directly for any additional services. This will be part of the confirmation call.

Thanks Again!
Thanks again for choosing VOOM! If you have any questions or concerns with regards to your order, please call 800-GET- VOOM.

Voom two reciever installation yesterday

Installation went fairly smooth. The Professional Installation pitch was kind of joke. Of two guys that came, one guy had never installed a home installation and the other guy had installed satellite dishes before but had obviously never installed Voom but together they got it done.

At first I had many channels missing. I had Voom "hit" the recievers and that brought up the channels.

I had a freeze up on each reciever already. This could have been when the TMC-HD channel was started. I hope these freezes don't become routine.

The OTA antenna is installed in the attic where the old one was. They took out my old amplified Terk 55 and put their amplified antenna in. I have lost my local ABC channel. I'm going to put the Terk back in to see if I can get ABC back. If the Terk does not bring back ABC I'm going to have to try a pre-amp.

terk antenna

ABC-HD use to come in great on the Terk with my Houghes e86 receiver. I use to have a little trouble with PBS but with the Voom antenna PBS seems fine so far. I use to have a dedicated coax cable for the antenna now I'm using a Voom multiswitch.

Dan,

Ok. It might be a mapping problem. Do you see ABC on the PG at all? You must be using a displexer, not a multiswitch. How is your satellite strenght and satellite signal quality? How is the strenght of your OTA and signal quality of the OTA?

It should look like this:

Attachments

• MVC-782F.JPG
    MVC-782F.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 245
ABC is on the PG. I can't check my signal strength right now. I'll do that when I get home.

The installer said that the signal strenght was about 30. He said that 30 was normal for my area (zip code 76137). I'm not sure he new what he was talking about but my Voom signals seem to come in pretty good.

The installer said that the scale was different than for DirecTV. I know that with a DirecTV signal strength of 30 on my e86 my picture would freeze and pixate real bad.

The splitter they installed works the same as a diplexer but the installers were calling it a multiswitch. It has two satellite inputs, one antenna input and two outputs. They installed a module on the back of the Voom receiver that I believe is the receiver end diplexer.

Dan Berndt said:
ABC is on the PG. I can't check my signal strength right now. I'll do that when I get home.

The installer said that the signal strenght was about 30. He said that 30 was normal for my area (zip code 76137). I'm not sure he new what he was talking about but my Voom signals seem to come in pretty good.

The installer said that the scale was different than for DirecTV. I know that with a DirecTV signal strength of 30 on my e86 my picture would freeze and pixate real bad.

The splitter they installed works the same as a diplexer but the installers were calling it a multiswitch. It has two satellite inputs, one antenna input and two outputs. They installed a module on the back of the Voom receiver that I believe is the receiver end diplexer.

Ok this strenght of 30 does not sound good to me. All the people that got installed have reported a strenght of 55-70 after the download without a diplexer. Try it but if you lose the satellite signal it is probably due to the diplexer. Most people I know have opted out of installing a diplexer because it lowers your satellite signal strength. Is there a way you can get two direct lines to the receiver without using the diplexer?

Voom to start broadcasting local channels?

I checked out my signal strength and, as I suspected, my installer didn't know what he was talking about. My satellite signal strenght is about 65.

My OTA signal strength is perplexing though. On the local signals that come in the signal quality is about 70, but, on the ABC channel the quality is only about 14-20. I am trying to find out if there is a problem with the trasmitter.

Another perplexing thing is that, with my Houghes e86 receiver, the ABC channel use to come in as three channels 8, 8-1, and 9-1. The ABC channel advertises itself as Channel 8 but the CES OTA guide lists this ABC station as digital channel 9. Channel 9-1 use to show up in the e86 program guide without programming but this channel does not show up at all on the Voom program guide.

I talked to the Voom CSR about this issue without much success in resolving the problem (the CRS was pretty clueless about technical issues and had to keep putting me on hold so he could go talk to someone in the know). He said that Voom was working on some local channel mapping problems and that hopefully when they got this resolved it would fix my problems.

One VERY interesting bit of information the CSR gave me that I had not heard anywhere else was that Voom is trying to eliminate the OTA antenna. The way that they are going to do this is that Voom is planning to start broadcasting local channels from the satellite. Since I want Voom to focus on HD programming I DON'T have, I was more than a little upset when I heard this.

The CSR could not tell me whether the local channels were going to be in SD or HD. He said he didn't think there was going to be any fee for the local channels but he wanted to check on that. I told him not to bother because I would not order local channels from a satellite service anyway.

I think you have an OTA mapping problem. Send an email to wilth@optonline.net with the following information: your name, address, with zipcode, and phone number. Wait two or three days before contacting him again. He will take care of it.

Locals by VOOM? Very unlikely... There's no space unless they are national locals which is a very sticky issue. Be happy with your OTA antenna! Enjoy your VOOM. You're an official VOOMER.

YOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Just signed up today! I have an install date of 12-20-03!

Can't wait!

BTW - I am kdove2oh in the Yahoo Group.

Ken

jabroni said:
YOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Just signed up today! I have an install date of 12-20-03!

Can't wait!

BTW - I am kdove2oh in the Yahoo Group.

Ken

Ken,

great! you have decided to make the jump. One suggestion. Call Install Inc and let them know that you want the installer to give you a call. They will not let you talk to the installer (for whatever reason). Once the installer gives you a call, you can establish a relation with him and tell him exactly what you need. You can also keep in touch with as to when the equipment will be arriving. This way you will save yourself a lot of headaches and don't have to go through Install Inc if something does not go right.

The biggest problem so far is to get the equipment on time and all of it.

Sean,

Thanks for the heads up. Do I get the number for Install, Inc. from VOOM or the Internet?

Ken

To all :

I am happy to report I am now a VOOMER!!!

Had to do the entire installation myself because installer hadn't a clue

Quick recap:

12/05 Equip showed late...installation postponed

12/08 Installer showed up, opened box...no dish, installs said they would send tech next day to put up a directv dish till Voom dish shows, meanwhile I wired the receiver to my home theater myself and programmed remote

12/09 Different installer called me at 4:30 pm from 300 MILES AWAY, says he is on his way, shows at my house at 10:30 PM (nite time!!) mounts dish incorrectly and cannot find satellite, gives up and leaves at midnite

Today 12/10.....Called my brother who is a commercial satellite serviceman, and Dish Network dealer, he comes over realigns dish, and has signal within 10 minutes, I then call Installs and have them fax authorization instructioins to me at work, they comply. I come home at 2 PM and begin authorization process. Download takes about 30 minutes. After download, screen says no authorization, so I call Voom, they say credit card denied, (it was approved when I ordered equip or they would never have shipped) Check account online, and Voom has tried to charge card twice (used debit card that had only room for one charge) anyway, straighten that out....Get picture right away

Picture looks good

Current problems.....STB display not working.....shows green dish symbol, nothing else....no channel numbers ....nothing

Should recieve 2 Off air channels no problem (HD channels) but they don't even show in the channel guide so cannot tune to them (e-mailed wilt)

anyway I am officially a Voomer!!!!

Update: Local channels now showing, just need better antenna or amplifier, only one actually is strong enough to watch, but 8 are mapped

JayDee - wow, talk about convoluted! Hope my install goes smoother than that! Any ways - congrats!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts