VOOM OTA Mapping Problems? (Channels listed are not as expected)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ferdy said:
the satellite feed comes in from the wall, is split with a conventional splitter, and SEPERATE feeds of coax are going to the 8SVB module and the SAT INPUT connectors.
Check that splitter. Some diplexers look like splitters. The one provided by VOOM is a snap-on module.

OTA is not science, its magic and luck depending on your location and what lies between your antenna and the transmitter

Sean Mota said:
It is not out yet the manual scanning. Send me an email to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with your full address and the problem you describe. I will submit to VOOM.

Sean,

What is the average turn around time for mapping stations? It's been almost a month. Also, how do I access the OTA strength meter?

Is there anyone in the Rhode Island Area getting more than just 12-1 and 12-2 with Voom?

Same channels here for this Rhode Islander

I too am in RI and get 12-1 and 12-2. In my PG 53-1,-2,-3 are listed but don't come in. I'm waiting for this software update to convert our boxes to OTA scanning. Trying to get the channels remapped seems to be a fruitless endeavor according to other posts here. :no I believe WJAR 10 is now digital so it would be great to have that added. I was able to get some Boston stations with another OTA reciever I tried a few months ago. Those would be nice. :yes Hang in there.

Voom not mapping all channels

I have tried going through the voom websupport and phone support but have not had my issue resolved.

In my zipcode (20166), the zap2it site shows channels 22.1,22.2,22.3,22.4,22.5, and 22.6 (WMPT) as within my range but they are not mapped on my STB. These channels are of particular importance to me because they are the only PBS HD channels broadcasting near me. There is a local and closer PBS channel (26.1-4 WETA) but it is not HD despite indications they have HD programming on the WETA website (have not seen a single show in the PG in HD for this channel since I became a subscriber to voom.)

I believe that I have the square shooter antenna without pre-amp. I have a co-worker with a Toshiba OTA reciever who lives a few miles from me and he does get this station on his HDTV.

Voom support says that these channels are in "testing" and that I am not allowed to have them mapped to my STB in my area.

Has anyone else come accross this and if so, is there anything that can be done? I am missing one of the largest resouces of HD programming in my area and it is a HUGE dissapointment for me with voom.

Thanks in advance for any help!

circuslove,

please send me an email (if you haven't done so) to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with the above information plus your full address. If anntenaweb.org shows them to be reachable in your area, they should be mapped to your stb.

So, when is Voom going to release the scanning program. It sure would solve alot
of the problems. I still do not get PBSHD and it is being broadcast here locally. I did
get it just fine with D* so it is not a problem with the signal. It just hasn't been
mapped even though I have asked for it several times and by several different
methods. They did map the sd PBS and the PG says it is the HD one. Has anyone
received the newest update 587? Was told by one of the techs that they had sent
it out to a few.
I thought that the scanning program was going to be out the middle of last month.

I'm missing one of my OTA channels. It's actually the most important one as it is my only local actually broadcasting in HD. I can pick it up with my OTA STB, so there shouldn't be any trouble picking it up with my Voom STB.

Sean, I sent you an email about this with my info about a week and a half ago. Do you need me to email you the info again?

Thanks.

Although Sean and my local installer have requested my local channel map be changed from Wheeling/Steubenville to Pittsburgh, I decided to start getting tough. I wouldn't have thought it would take more than one night to switch channel maps. This is as bad as the phone company taking weeks to flip a switch!!!

Here is a message I sent to VOOM Customer Service:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How long does it take to get my locals channel map changed?

When I was installed on Tuesday my installer requested that my local channel map be changed to Pittsburgh because when I was using a Zenith OTA STB I received KDKA-DT, WPXI-DT, WQED-DT, WCWB-DT, and WPGH-DT all from Pittsburgh.

My channel map on the VOOM STB is currently Wheeling/Steubenville, WTRF-DT Wheeling hasn't transmitted sound since it started and the signal is so weak it breaks up all the time and WTOV-DT has been off the air for months.

This is now day 3 and the Pittsburgh channels aren't showing up on the receiver!!!!

When I put in my Zip Code on the VOOM Zap2it Listings from the VOOM website it shows:

2.1--KDKA-DT Pittsburgh (I received this with the Zenith STB, but it doesn't show up on the VOOM Channel Map)

7.1--WTRF-DT Wheeling (station is unreliable, no audio, break-ups, it shows up on the VOOM Channel Map)

9.1--WTOV-DT Steubenville (station has been off the air for months, it shows up on the VOOM channel map)

11.1-WPXI-DT Pittsburgh (I received this with the Zenith STB, but it doesn't show up on the VOOM Channel Map)

13.3-WQED-DT Pittsburgh (I received this with the Zenith STB, but it doesn't show up on the VOOM Channel Map)

22.1-WCWB-DT Pittsburgh (I received this with the Zenith STB, but it doesn't show up on the VOOM Channel Map)

24.1,2,3-WNPB-DT Morgantown (I've never been able to receive this one, it shows up on the VOOM Zap2it Listings, station is 75 miles away)

53.1--WPGH-DT Pittsburgh (I received this with the Zenith STB, but it doesn't show up on the VOOM Channel Map)

As you can see I receive the Pittsburgh stations when I used a Zenith OTA STB, but the VOOM Channel Map only shows Wheeling/Steubenville which I don't receive. When my installer put in the request I thought the Pittsburgh stations would show up the next morning, but they haven't.

Others on my street with digital OTA STBs receive the same Pittsburgh stations I received before I had VOOM installed.

Don't even think of using that FCC excuse because I own broadcast stations and I know for a fact that the FCC doesn't regulate channel maps and channel listings. What they regulate is Local In Local Service provided by DBS companies which retransmit local stations via satellite. VOOM does not retransmit local stations via satellite nor does it provide Local In Local service.

When I wake up tomorrow I expect to see Pittsburgh, PA stations listed on my receiver.

Bryan French
[address removed for my protection]
Zip: 26031
VOOM Account# [removed for my protection]

verboten said:
I have been a voom subscriber since Jan. The installer put the ota antenna up using the diplexer, so only one cable came into the voom receiver. I was only able to get 4 ota stations. The program guide also only showed those four. I was told that it was a mapping problem that would get resolved soon. After reading many posts by voom subscribers, I removed the diplexer and only ran that cable straight to the voom receiver Sat in. I installed my own antenna on my roof with its own cable line and hooked it into the voom box ‘ANT in’. I still only get the four stations but my signal strength rose quite a bit.

I then unhooked the Antenna cable and plugged it into my TV’s built in HD/Digital tuner and was able to get more than voom.

I have contacted voom numerous times and they tell me different stories all the time. 1. The antenna can’t pick up those stations, that’s why I don’t get them (funny, because my TV’s HD tuner can) 2. They are working on mapping issues.

Here is what I get

Voom Box Channels via antenna

25.1 WEEKDT
43.1 WYZZDT
47.1 WTVPDT
59.1 WAOEDT

VOOMS WEBSITE says I should get with my zip 61761

3.1 WCIADT
15.1 WICDDT
17.1 WANDDT
20.1 WICSDT
23.1 WBUIDT
25.1 WEEKDT
35.1 WWTODT
43.1 WYZZDT
47.1 WTVPDT
59.1 WAOEDT

What my Built in TV HD/digital tuner gets and says

WYZZDT 43.01 (in channel setup says 28 renamed)
WHOIDT 19.01 (in channel setup says 40 renamed)
WAOEDT 59.39 (in channel setup says 39 renamed)
WEEKDT 57.01
WTVP 46.01
WMBDDT 31.01 (in channel setup says 30 renamed)
WTVPHD 46.04

No one at voom I have talked with seems to understand what I telling them. Today one of the csr’s was trying to tell me that what my antenna was picking up was analog, I just had to laugh. I just want to be able to get my locals via the voom box so I don’t have to switch between inputs (Voom box and Digital tuner).

BTW, The software update did not help with OTA channel.

If you get more channels without the voom receiver why don't you just plug in your antenna to the built in Tuner?
That way you could also have PIP with the local channels on a different input. I know it would be a little more inconveniant but not really.

Here is an update on my current situation (post#191)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response (VOOM Customer Support) 06/18/2004 12:08 AM
Thank you for contacting VOOM.
I apologize for the problems you are experiencing receiving your locals. I will be sure to pass this information to right people here at VOOM. Rest assured we will do what we can to ensure you receive as many digital locals as possible. If you have any further questions please give us a call at 1-800-GET-VOOM and once again thank you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!
Jennifer Bernsdorf
VOOM Email Support
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer 06/20/2004 07:55 PM
That is the exact same thing I was told last week by a VOOM CSR on the phone. Why is this taking so long? It has been 12 days since the installer requested that I be changed to the Pittsburgh PA channel map. I just don't understand why this should take weeks to change.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response (VOOM - HDTV Delivered!) 06/21/2004 11:36 PM
Thank you for contacting VOOM.
The mapping for your digital locals is FCC regulated and we cannot change them without their approval. Rest assured, if your situation has been escalated you will be contacted with any updates that become available. If you have any further questions please give us a call at 1-800-GET-VOOM and once again thank you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!
Jerimiah D. Weekly
VOOM Email Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer 06/22/2004 09:18 AM
That is incorrect. The FCC does not regulate channel maps. If you read my original post you would have learned that I am a broadcast station owner.

"I know for a fact that the FCC doesn't regulate channel maps and channel listings. What they regulate is Local In Local Service provided by DBS companies which retransmit local stations via satellite. VOOM does not retransmit local stations via satellite nor does it provide Local In Local service."

The FCC does regulate 'Over The Air' tuners and I am sure they would be very interested in knowing that the VOOM STB is preventing me from receiving local stations by blocking them out.

I have been more than patient. If this is not resolved in 24 hours I will file a complaint with the FCC.

NOW LISTEN UP VOOM HERE IS THE RULE YOU ARE VIOLATING

Title 47 Sec. 15.117 TV broadcast receivers.

(a) All TV broadcast receivers shipped in interstate commerce or
imported into the United States, for sale or resale to the public, shall
comply with the provisions of this section, except that paragraphs (f)
and (g) of this section shall not apply to the features of such sets
that provide for reception of digital television signals. The reference
in this section to TV broadcast receivers also includes devices, such as
TV interface devices and set-top devices that are intended to provide
audio-video signals to a video monitor, that incorporate the tuner
portion of a TV broadcast receiver and that are equipped with an antenna
or antenna terminals that can be used for off-the-air reception of TV
broadcast signals, as authorized under part 73 of this chapter.
(b) TV broadcast receivers shall be capable of adequately receiving
all channels allocated by the Commission to the television broadcast
service.

Bold added by me :)

The tuner with it's current software isn't capable of receiving all TV channels. Only those channels VOOM will let you receive. They are violating Title 47 Sec. 15.117(a) and (b). I don't make idle threats and have already began writing my complaint before the FCC.

I've had Voom since the beginning of march, I have local channels showing in the program guide but no program information for any of those channels.

I checked the zap2it site and the channels listed there are the same channels that I have.

I just need to see programming info in the program guide for my locals! :confused:

tom branella said:
I've had Voom since the beginning of march, I have local channels showing in the program guide but no program information for any of those channels.

I checked the zap2it site and the channels listed there are the same channels that I have.

I just need to see programming info in the program guide for my locals! :confused:
This has happened in the past. PM Sean Mota, he will remeber what you have to do.

Thanks Sean!
It's now there for me. Now I don't have to wait for the update for manual mapping.

griz said:
I'm missing one of my OTA channels. It's actually the most important one as it is my only local actually broadcasting in HD. I can pick it up with my OTA STB, so there shouldn't be any trouble picking it up with my Voom STB.

Sean, I sent you an email about this with my info about a week and a half ago. Do you need me to email you the info again?

Thanks.

Hey everyone! This is my first post on forums there.

I'm in the Detroit area and the only OTA channel that doesn't come in is the WB. It's not listed in the PG or on zap2it. I know that the channel does broadcast in digital because I was able to pick it up with an OTA STB.

Sean, I emailed you my info. Let me know if you need me to send it to you again. Thanks!

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)