Voom Overall Review First Few Hours

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Scott Greczkowski said:
John,

I must say that VOOM does deserve a round of applause, (especially Wilt) they have been working round the clock to improve things.

I wonder why they rushed to launch this year?

I am looking forward to reading VOOM's 10K statement next year, going to be some good reading in there. :D
Scott, I believe they either had to launch a service this year or lose their license. FCC said "use it or lose it".

Sean- Thanks for the verification.

Here's a suggestion. Forget the flash for shooting the TV screen. Use timed exposure on tripod and set the camera gain to minimum. Most digitals I am familiar with do it differently so I can't help you there except to suggest you consult your camera manual and learn to do timed exposure in manual mode as opposed to allow the camera's video amp to kick in.

Yes, that camera video amp will generate the kind of noise displayed on your images but using manual setting with timed exposure is a way around that.

FWIW- my digital is a canon and it uses electronic gain in the form of film equivalent which is ISO speed numbers as in film. 400 is clean while 1600 ISO is very grainy too. Make sense? Hope this helps.

Don thanks.

I will try your suggestions. I have shot some pics of the NFL game of the week in this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3460

Here's an update. I connected the DD5.1 sound to my receiver. Nothing like DD5.1 and HDTV. It's beautiful. All the exclusive channels have DD5.1. Have been watching OTA programming all night and I haven't had a single drop on the signal. On my 6000 receiver I used to get two or three drops per each program. Is that the experience of VOOM users. Do you get a drop of Video from your OTA often or never or occassionally? The OTA module seems to be more stable so far. We just got NBC OTA in NYC and I am watching Jay Leno. The PQ is amazing. I never had the pleasure to watch NBC-HD.

Local PG is updated!

The integrated OTA local PG has been updated. Here are a few pics.

Note: the pics do not do a fair job in showing the real DVI picture that I am looking at. The DVI picture on my TV is crystal clear.

Attachments

• MVC-647F.JPG
    MVC-647F.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 186
  • MVC-648F.JPG
    MVC-648F.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 145
  • MVC-649F.JPG
    MVC-649F.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 159
Here's a the theme menu which I had forgotten to upload...

Attachments

• MVC-650F.JPG
    MVC-650F.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 143
The PG now goes all the way to 11:30pm on Sunday. So that's 3+ days. Much more than the 6000 receiver.

Got up this am and found the receiver with the light on (green light). This is not the first time but I know it is supposed to be some type of stand mode? Lost all PG information. Nothing in the guide...

I also re-booted the receiver (by holding the power button a few seconds). I gave me the window that it was downloading but after it finished the PG did not show any information.

Someone at AVSforum found this little compartment on the VOOM receiver. It is located on the right hand side of the receiver. What do you think it is?

Attachments

• MVC-682F.JPG
    MVC-682F.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 524
  • MVC-683F.JPG
    MVC-683F.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 152
  • MVC-687F.JPG
    MVC-687F.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 127
  • MVC-688F.JPG
    MVC-688F.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 138
More of the same compartment. There is a speculation that it could be the slot for 80G HD
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
Possible
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif

From left to right: looking from the top, Inside the compartment, Inside the compartment.

Attachments

• MVC-689F.JPG
    MVC-689F.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 112
  • MVC-690F.JPG
    MVC-690F.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 180
  • MVC-691F.JPG
    MVC-691F.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 131
Sean Mota said:
More of the same compartment. There is a speculation that it could be the slot for 80G HD

The housing for the 500 is the Motorola DSR530 housing - the StarChoice dual HD tuner/PVR to be released spring 04

The local OTA integration to the PG in VOOM is a nice feature. The VOOM receiver seems to be better than the 6000 receiver in locking to the OTA channels. The 6000 receiver would not lock to channel if it falls below 40 in signal strength and would have lots of dropouts when signal strength is between 50 and 60. I have been watching local OTA througth the VOOM receiver and it has been an added bonus. The other days through a vey big rain the OTA was going strong and showing up in the PG without any problems. Even if the satellite signal at one time was gone, the OTA signal kept going.

It looks like the OTA module it's very good in locking to the OTA signal and not dropping it. It feels very good to be able to browse your locals on the PG. It does not feel like your are really watching OTA channels from the OTA antenna but that everything is together. Again the scanning feature will make this whole mapping of local channels a lot better and I believe that this feature is coming.

Here are two picture of SD NFL Network. By default VOOM stretches the 4x3 SD picture. You have to go to the menu settings and unstrech it. When you do this it will give you a something that looks like a 4x3 but it cuts off like 1/4 at top and bottom. This happens only SD channels. Starz HD and Show HD will show the full 4x3 picture when they are transmitting HD movies.

I have looked at more SD channels and want to say that the picture looks a lot better than my 6000 or 721. It actually looks very good. Now cutting off the top and bottom makes a smaller SD box to watch and maybe this also makes the picture better. Is there a way to gain the top and bottom back or is the way it is.

Attachments

• MVC-770F.JPG
    MVC-770F.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 180
  • MVC-771F.JPG
    MVC-771F.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 165
Bring up the PG (either all channels, favorite list or All HD channels), and then hit the yellow button on remote control.

See this picture:

download.php

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts