Voom promises of 50 channels, price reduction, etc

Wgn ?

What channel is WGN ? Someone said it has been added, at a quick glance I didn't see it listed.

:confused:

kirkdj said:
What channel is WGN ? Someone said it has been added, at a quick glance I didn't see it listed.

:confused:

This is starting to get annoying. I thought we would have WGN in time for baseball season. Now it is starting to look less and less likely. :mad:

Lucky said:
This is starting to get annoying. I thought we would have WGN in time for baseball season. Now it is starting to look less and less likely. :mad:
I kind of feel your pain -- I wouldn't mind having Fox Sports Detroit so I could catch my beloved Tigers as they race against the odds to capture the American League Central title. But I knew coming in that they didn't have it and was willing to make the sacrifice for the best value in HD programming.

Basically I'm pretty happy with the channel lineup as it is. I'm starting to worry that as they add more and more channels we're going to see prices skyrocket. I assume tiers are in the works -- I just hope they keep HD value in mind and keep something available that's similar to the current basic package/price.

mudpup2003 said:
I understand what your saying, however, before you jump ship, just remember to get D* with HD.. it will cost you alot more, including the cost of the reciever, NOT FREE. Just food for thought.

That's a very good point. I had to pay $299 for my D* HD receiver so I could get a total of 7 channels (counting HBO and SHO). With Voom I can now have it in 3 rooms and only pay $5/month for each receiver. If I wanted D* HD in 3 rooms it would cost me $897, and I'd only have a fraction of the HD content I get with Voom!

Anyone have an idea why there's no mention of the '50 channels' in the Voom:Inner Circle newsletter that just got e-mailed out? You'd think they'd plug that to all their customers if it were locked in...

Voom4Me said:
If I add the two extra rooms and then upgrade to the VaVa Voom package in this promotion, I would pay $89.90 (service) + $9.50 (1st box) + $10 (2nd & 3rd boxes) Total $109.40 (no tax) plus the $49 (installation fee)

I would be better off canceling and then subscribing again. I would end up paying $89.90 (service) + $15 (three boxes) Total $104.90 (no tax) plus the installation is only $1
I cancelled and reordered 2 more STBs back in December - I lost my grandfathered status, but it's a good deal overall. I pay $104.90 plus 27 cents in franchise fees. I never received the snail mail...most likely because it doesn't affect me.

ocgrant said:
Just talked to a CSR about this upgrade...what a joke..the deal is only good for six months..then they stick you back with the old price on each reciever you have at that time. I told the CSR it doesn't say that in my letter....He said a lot of people are complaining but that is the deal...

Well I certainly want to know exactly what the deal is, including the invisible fine print. Will it cost just $5 for each extra receiver or not? Will the cost go up after 6 months? Is it a deal or not, or just a come-on. I was thinking about adding a second receiver in order to be able to watch a channel while recording another. Of course that would mean having the installer who tried to talk me into switching to Dish come back out.

Frankly, it is getting frustrating. Will Voom be here next month or not, or will it be 3 or 4 months? What is the cost, follow the bouncing ball? I just want to watch tv and not have to follow the soap opera. I am still trying to decide whether to put up another antenna in order to get NBC, which I am missing, or keep the very basic cable for one channel. Voom is great, but I guess that I didn't appreciate having cable for all those years, even with its limitations, knowing it would be there the next month and if there was a problem I could confront somebody face to face.

justalurker said:
239. And the RSN Comcast Sports Network Chicago is 429. Oh, you meant on the Voom system!

Sorry, not available. :D

JL

If anyone deserves that '3 Day Free Vacations!' it is justalurker for the above post, now he is trying to being a a** on purpose.

So I sent the post that I put on the web straight to voom customer support...This is what was in my e-mail this morning.....

Response (Janie L.) - 03/30/2005 09:18 PM
Thank you for choosing VOOM - The HDTV Satellite Service!

I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. When you sign up for any of our offers, you are usually put on a 6 month contract and the receivers price of $5 per receiver per month will last as long as the contract lasts. Once the contract is up, yes the prices go up to the original prices of $9.50 for the initial receiver and then $5 for ever receiver after that. However, after your 6 month contract is up, if you would like to keep the $5 per receiver per month, we would just need to put you on another contract with us.

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you the e-mail address that you are requesting. I can however provide you with the corporate address which I have listed below. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again through this email or call us at 1-866-931-VOOM.

VOOM
200 Jericho Quadrangle
Jericho, New York 11753

Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in High Definition programming!

Tiffany P.
VOOM Email Support

Now figure that out after 6 months the recievers go from $5.00 a month back to $5.00 a month....HUH... :confused:

Play nice...gain attention...attack...play nice...gain attention...attack...

I should have known better than to post a compliment to him a few days ago...burn me once shame on you...burn me twice, shame on me! There won't be a third time.

Vicki (older now, wiser now, and still quite sober!) :rolleyes:

Let's talk about Voom, or the lacks therof, OK? If one cannot take a joke nor keep from posting about people instead of satellite service perhaps they should take their own voluntary break? We'll be here on Saturday discussing whatever happened with Voom.

JL

Various OT posts deleted! Keep on topic.

BTW, I've got my letter yesterday. I will try to get information on this because the letter clearly states that these are permanent rates, not six months. If VOOM is going to get an extension or survive after today, I will order three or four additional receivers, downgrade E* to just three receivers with the HD pack and local channels. I am keeping the local channels on E* because they carry Telemundo which is not carried digitally in my area yet.

Sean Mota said:
I will try to get information on this because the letter clearly states that these are permanent rates, not six months....

Playing a role of devil's advocate: six months might be even longer than "permanent" in the world of Voom. ;)

But seriously, it is important to clear this issue up. I am interested in multi-room setup as well.

andrzej said:
it is important to clear this issue up. I am interested in multi-room setup as well.

I, too, am waiting for some official word as I'll likely add a few receivers.

AxE said:
Big change, but they needed to do something to compete price-wise. The other providers are $5/addl room.
Actually the others are getting cheaper because they have multiple tuners so you can get a 942 for example and wire up two rooms with no additional fee.

I just received the letter today and since I own my equipment the letter said that VOOM was eliminating the mult-receiver fee.

I received my letter today that said they are dropping the lease fee for my second receiver, saving me $9.95/month, works for me.

I suppose the only definitive answer will come from Voom itself. But I've got the letter in front of me right now. It makes no mention of the $5/ea being a limited time offer. It does state that a 6-month commitment is required to receive the new pricing. The precise wording is:

"...VOOM has just dropped the monthly price for additional receivers from $14.50 to just $5.00 each, so not it's easier than ever to put VOOM in every room.

Get 2 more rooms installed for just $49!

A six-month commitment is required to take advantage of this special offer..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts