VOOM Shutdown Update

I wish someone would spill it on this Voom "news". I have resisted re-signing with Dish. This shutdown isn't being handled the best. I am shocked that Voom hasn't made some sort of agreement to allow Dish to piggy back off of Rainbow 1 until the sale of the bird is complete. And Dish could provide us with some of the HD content.

mdonnelly said:
I WIN. I predicted a May 1 shutdown back in January.

ME TOO! I Win! :) I predicted that some dickhead would claim to have predicted Voom's shutdown. God, I'm so fantastic! Yippee! :)

subdude212 said:
ME TOO! I Win! :) I predicted that some dickhead would claim to have predicted Voom's shutdown. God, I'm so fantastic! Yippee! :)
Yeah, but predicting items AFTER they happen is too easy. :D

what is everyone gettting so excited about?

Voom is CLOSING IT DOORS on May1st; why would you even think about cancelling your Cable install?

Even if there is "another" reprive of a day or a week or a month, its obvious that the
VOOM we have all loved so much will NOT exist after that date, no matter what "news" may come out in the next few days..Don't get caught without anything at that time, get cable installed, and wait and see what rises from the VOOM "ashes" after that..

I must say I am impressed so far with Comcast Cable in Chicago; not alot of HD, but TNT HD was just added today, the PQ on HD stuff is watchable, and most of the "digital" channels come in very nice; most as good or better than I enjoyed on VOOM, plus the HD DVR/IN Demand is pretty entertaining, and I have even figured out how to program my other remote controlls into the remote they provided; the price isn't bad, around $56.00 mo for the Digital Platinum Plus with HD and HBO/SHOWTIME/STARZ , and the DVR adds 9.99/mo to that...

I've said from the beginning that some sharp/wealthy business or business- person will end up owning what we -used-to-know as VOOM, and I still think that will happen. But to even consider going back to VOOM now, or in the next 90 days or seems pretty unlikely, given all the ups and downs we have all gone through here in the last 6 months.

Right now I have Voom, downsized dish, and comcast.

With my luck Voom will decide to go to DTV

I cancelled my Adelphia install because I was not gonna be home on the earliest date available....May 2nd. Now I have to wait till the 7th.....but VOOM for another is great news!

You guys here at this forum are so lucky.
I have mediacom and they the worst hd lineup in the world.
I will explain .I have the motorola 6412 dual tuner and the 2 thru 78 channels suck compare to voom..
The hd line is this
ESPNHD (SUCKS)
UHD (SUCKS)
DHDTV ( REALLY SUCKS)
HDNET (SUCKS)
HDNMV (SUCKS)
S-HD (SUCKS)
TMCHD (SUCKS
HBOHD (PAYING FOR IT BUT NO CHANNELS)
So i really wish that we can keep vomm and that they will just switch us all to e* and kepp us all happy.
I DON'T WANT MY LOVE CHILD TO DIE
VOOM THE SECOND WIFE (YEAH)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Hey everyone, I have just received some good news. It appears that VOOM has received an extension of its life by 27 hours.

That time makes sense since it would be midnight on the west coast.

ptech said:
That time makes sense since it would be midnight on the west coast.
That's what I mean. This will give everyone the entire month of April and no one will complain about one missed day that was paid for... ;)

Yup, I concur.

New countdown

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://scripts.franciscocharrua.com/services/countdown-clock/countdown-clock.php"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
countdown_clock(5, 5, 1, 0, 3, 0, 3, '1');//--></script>

(don't click the link it just takes you to where I made the script :))

On Friday we will here VOOM has indeed been sold to Charles, service will remain until May 31st, during May we are all realigned to HD Select on AMC-6. Just some wishful thinking.

This is what I really think the Friday news will be. VOOM as we know it will be gone May 1st at 3:00am. The name VOOM will never recover so it's just better to forget about it. May 1st at 3:01am the 21 yet to be named channels continue to operate in test mode and those loyal VOOMers who never gave up receive the channels free through May while they migrate over to AMC-6 for cable and satellite distribution. Those of us that held on to the end are given the oppurtunity to purchase the 21 channels for $10.95/mo directly from Rainbow or through C-Band programming providers, and the receivers we have held onto will work at the new location. We would just have to purchase a KU-Band dish and aim it ourselves. Some more wishful thinking :)

LMAO, make sure you hide the contraband you've been smoking fi the cops come bny :D

wase4711 said:
what is everyone gettting so excited about?
There are people here who still believe some white knight will come along and save the day.... Any "delay" in the shutdown is just seen as more "proof" that they aren't shutting down, that they're delaying things to give this entity more time. Come on, that's why no one has been told by VOOM to return their receivers, right ?? They're gonna still be usable with some new service... :D

bryan27 said:
On Friday we will here VOOM has indeed been sold to Charles, service will remain until May 31st, during May we are all realigned to HD Select on AMC-6. Just some wishful thinking.

This is what I really think the Friday news will be. VOOM as we know it will be gone May 1st at 3:00am. The name VOOM will never recover so it's just better to forget about it. May 1st at 3:01am the 21 yet to be named channels continue to operate in test mode and those loyal VOOMers who never gave up receive the channels free through May while they migrate over to AMC-6 for cable and satellite distribution. Those of us that held on to the end are given the oppurtunity to purchase the 21 channels for $10.95/mo directly from Rainbow or through C-Band programming providers, and the receivers we have held onto will work at the new location. We would just have to purchase a KU-Band dish and aim it ourselves. Some more wishful thinking :)

it seems that vomm is try to stall and sell the whole company to get more money and so they want have to write off assets

So we will have VOOM on the left coast until midnight our time. Good. I just don't want to commit to any long term contracts with satellite until I see what's happening. So cable will be my intermediate HD source. No commitments.There's potentially 9 all HD channels out there plus 10 HD movie channels so that's 19 HD channels someone could come up with if they had the bandwidth.....and the balls. Then they could add the VOOM 21 for 40 channels of HD! (Sound familiar??)

bryan27 said:

Sounds good to me! Where do I sign?

hall said:
Come on, that's why no one has been told by VOOM to return their receivers, right ?? They're gonna still be usable with some new service... :D

not all possibilities are foreclosed, though some clearly are

BFG said:
Yup, I concur.

New countdown

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://scripts.franciscocharrua.com/services/countdown-clock/countdown-clock.php"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
countdown_clock(5, 5, 1, 0, 3, 0, 3, '1');//--></script>

(don't click the link it just takes you to where I made the script :))

Maybe you should make your script a thread with a sticky to remind all of us of the reality of this week-END. :( :( :( :(

But I do believe Voom will live in some form or another but don't know when or where. Some of the programming is just to good to throw away, we all have our favorites and will miss them. For me, back to DVD's as everything else looks like $hit on a 12ft screen compared to Voom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts