Voom STB questions

Multiple Receiver Question

Anyone out there using multiple receivers??

I have the satellite feed running into the Voom receiver, and it is then fed to 3 TV's in different rooms. Of course with 1 receiver, the same channel displays on all 3 TV's. In order to watch different channels on the different TV's, I know I would need additional receivers--so here is the question.

Can I use the existing cables that are being backfed from the main receiver, and simply use the coax connection on the additional receivers, or do you have to have a direct feed from the dish? And one more--to add a second receiver, does Voom charge $199 + installation, or do they just send the receiver? No need to pay an installer to plug in a couple of cables if that's all it takes.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I would have got dual receivers to begin with, instead of doing it after the fact.

Since you have a dual LNB, to add another receiver the installer will need to add another coax line to the second receiver. If you are adding more than two, a switch is needed and this is not covered by VOOM. Unfortunately, V* will not let you self-install (even a second receiver). If you are in the lease program it will cost you only $199 installation plus an installation fee, if you are buying the receiver it will cost you $199 (the receiver) plus installation fee, plus activation fee.

Man--you are on top of this forum. Thanks for the information. Maybe since we only watch 1 TV at a time, I should look into getting a wireless remote extender. Have you seen any posts on that subject?

Not with VOOM. But I will assume that any wireless remote extender will work with VOOM. I do not see why it will not. Anyone else has more information on this?

Good old Radio Shack. They have an InfraRed remote control room-to-room extender. Consists of a transmitter and receiver, each with it's own 12 volt adapter (no batteries required). Plug in the receiver and aim it at the device you want to control. Plug in the transmitter unit in whatever room you want to use. Aim remote at transmitter unit, and it feeds the receiver unit and that issues commands to your device. $42 retail.

I have a Harmony SST-659 that controls the main equipment stack, so I put some batteries in the Voom remote, and now it can control the satellite box from another room. In the other room, I have a smaller HD set (LG 17 inch LCD) that is backfed from the satellite box and hooked up via coax only. For what I wanted to do, this is perfect.

Can some one give me an estimate?

Here's what I want. Va Va Voom Package running on two recievers that will be purchased upfront. Can someone give me an estimate of how much everything will cost including programming, taxes, and any other additional charges?

Press the red button behind the door several times until you see the upper red horizontal bar lit.

Upconvert OTA?

My Sony doesnt support a native 720p resolution. Will the VOOM STB upconvert everything (OTA) to 1080i?

Look at main thread for proper red button sequence to get 1080i, from memory top bar lit.

pOiNTBLaNK,

Don't feel bad at all that your TV doesn't do 720p. My Sony KV-34XBR910 will receive 720p (through the component inputs) and convert it to 1080i (its native format). But converting 720p to 1080i is best done in the receiving source while it is still in its original digitally-received format. My Samsung OTA receiver does a much better job of converting 720p to 1080i and sending that to the TV, than if I send 720p through component video to the TV and let it - 1st convert it back to digital - 2cd convert it to 1080i - 3rd convert it back to analog for the cathod ray tubes.

I've tried it both ways and the set top box does a much better job than the TV. In fact the set top converted 720p images I receive look almost indistinguishable from the unconverted 1080i images I receive.

Chad

Personally I am a 1080p fan as opposed to 720p. My Hitachi will take any signal and display it very well. I think it converts everything that is non-1080i to 1080p.

VirtualHD 1080p Digital Video Processor: Hitachi's UltraVision TVs feature the company's proprietary VirtualHD 1080p digital video processor which improves all incoming non-1080i signal sources up to 1,080 progressive. The processor features 1080i or 540p user-selectable display format, new automatic 3:2 film correction, new 26-point advanced video processing, six new aspect modes plus HD zoom, new pure digital color management, 1080i/720p/540p/480i input processing and advanced HD Digital Window(TM) split screen.

Bill

VOOM Audio out of sync?

I just wanted to start a quick thread to see if anyone else was experiencing the following audio problem.

I just got my box installed yesterday. Last night while watching Showtime Hd, I noticed that the audio is out of sync with the video. Some channels were ok, but Showtime was a good 1/4 second off.

I see this issue on most of my channels, although it is not that noticable unless you really look.

Let me know if you are experiencing similar issues...

/joe

It happens, usually if you tune away from the channel and come back it will fix itself