Voom STB questions

Unfortunately, it doesn't...

Tried that on several channels all night... Also tried rebooting the receiver. Nothing worked.

When I switched over to D*, the same movie was syncing fine...

Here's one for ya: I've got video as tuned but audio from some other channel on my already well-known twilight zone receiver with a mind of it's own!!!
That started last night.
Another day, another sur :p prise.

Just ordered zoom, thanks for the info.

Hello all just wanted to say great job with this site, awesome source of info.
I am going for Voom and will keep my dtv for sunday ticket. Hopefully I will receive ota channels with the antenna they provide. I am looking forward to all the hd, thanks again for all the info.

Sean Mota said:
xboxer,

welcome, try to get the advice of getting in contact with the local installer. This is essential.

Sounds good, I will call towards the end of the week they are suppose to come out Tuesday. One question, On the Voom site I was reading the lease agreement with rainbow will be running up in April will we be loosing any content such as Starz????

xboxer said:
Sounds good, I will call towards the end of the week they are suppose to come out Tuesday. One question, On the Voom site I was reading the lease agreement with rainbow will be running up in April will we be loosing any content such as Starz????

I would not worry too much about it. The FCC scheduled the next auction for July 14, 2004 (Auction No. 52) and said the following about the licenses to be auctioned.

Source

Licenses to Be Auctioned

Auction No. 52 will include three licenses for unassigned channels at orbit locations of 175° W.L., 166° W.L., and 157° W.L. The license to use the two available channels at the eastern orbit location of 61.5º W.L., which was included in the list of licenses available for auction in the Auction No. 52 Comment Public Notice, will not be offered in Auction No. 52 because there remains pending the issue of whether any eligibility restrictions are appropriate for this license.

So it looks like VOOM will remain with the two transponder that Echostar gave them and where the Starz package resides.

xboxer said:

No that auction has been put off for the near future, so VOOM is going ahead like it's theirs..no auction scheduled thru the summer on those slots

rang1995 said:
No that auction has been put off for the near future, so VOOM is going ahead like it's theirs..no auction scheduled thru the summer on those slots
Thats good news, just a side note I asked the rep at Zoom about ESPNHD, he said they are making that there number one priority and should be offering it soon. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Newbie Questions...thanks for the help!

Hey everyone. I am considering Voom as an alternative to the Dish Network option my apartment building is offering (They have a contract with Dish so all apartments can get any of the channels/packages, but they don't have HD, and that sort of defeats my 48" widescreen, which for an apartment is my main attraction!)

1) has anyone tried installing this with a window that looks the right direction? Other dish installs I have done you can do this, but i dunno about this fancy shmancy Voom service)

2) what is the proper direction the satellite needs to point (I am in Dallas)?

3) How possible would it be to install yourself, without an installer?

4) does Sears have better promotions than going direct through Voom?

5) What advice can y'all give?

Once again, THANK YOU all for your advice and help! I know this is a lot, but it is much appreciated!!!

digideal said:
(They have a contract with Dish so all apartments can get any of the channels/packages, but they don't have HD,
If they have your appartment prewired and hooked up already you might be able to forego a new Voom dish installation altogether as the Voom dish points at the same location as the Dish network satellite.

digideal said:
2) what is the proper direction the satellite needs to point (I am in Dallas)?
61.5 degrees West - not sure of your elevation though

digideal said:
3) How possible would it be to install yourself, without an installer?
VOOM offers no DIY install kit unfortunately.

digideal said:
4) does Sears have better promotions than going direct through Voom?
There is a $399 deal with free Va Va Voom for a few months which is a deal you can get only through Sears.

digideal said:
5) What advice can y'all give?
Go for it, do your homework on what to expect with the install and avoid the diplexer install.

Thanks! What do you mean about number one, how could I use the Voom receiver? can I just buy a receiver? Please do explain!

digideal said:
Thanks! What do you mean about number one, how could I use the Voom receiver? can I just buy a receiver? Please do explain!

I think he meant that if you are already pre-wired with a E* 61.5 satellite then you might not need the V* satellite. But you need to be careful since the feed from the 61.5 needs to come from one of the LNBs and not the E* switch.

Hey Sean, you do look like the stud of the Board, so I appreciate your help here.

What the heck does that mean?!? :) What should I ask the provider/which people do i need to talk to? It's not Dish direct, but a reseller of the service (Ygnition to be exact, they only have contracts with three apartment complexes in all the US, lucky me!) From what I gather, the building is prewired for the Dish Network, i can get an analog receiver for $40 a month and 50 channels, or $44+++ for the Digital packages. When calling the provider, they say they don't support HD yet, is this a tell-tell sign?

Finally, I do have a view of the South, but do I need a clean shot view of the West to make it work? Any reports of it working through a glass window?

Thanks!!!

digideal said:
Hey Sean, you do look like the stud of the Board, so I appreciate your help here.

What the heck does that mean?!? :) What should I ask the provider/which people do i need to talk to? It's not Dish direct, but a reseller of the service (Ygnition to be exact, they only have contracts with three apartment complexes in all the US, lucky me!) From what I gather, the building is prewired for the Dish Network, i can get an analog receiver for $40 a month and 50 channels, or $44+++ for the Digital packages. When calling the provider, they say they don't support HD yet, is this a tell-tell sign?

Finally, I do have a view of the South, but do I need a clean shot view of the West to make it work? Any reports of it working through a glass window?

Thanks!!!

I would not bother with them. They might just carry the channels on 119 and 110. I doubt that they will carry the ones on 61.5 and if they do, it will mean that you get it through a switch. Forget about that option! The satellite points SE, I think. A glass window? I do not know if that works, I have read reports in the E* forum about it. You might want to post the question there to see if anyone has done that and what it is needed. Here's the link to that forum.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=16

just ask if anyone knows of setting a dish through a glass window?

Questions

Given the deal for Voom at Sears I might go with them instead of E*, but have a few questions.
Is Voom STRICTLY for HD sets. Will my non HD tvs still be able to get their programming just not in HD?
I didn see any pricing for extra receivers.
Thanks
John

jrv331 said:
Will my non HD tvs still be able to get their programming just not in HD?
Yes. All channels can be downconverted to 480i or 480p.

jrv331 said:
Given the deal for Voom at Sears I might go with them instead of E*, but have a few questions.
Is Voom STRICTLY for HD sets. Will my non HD tvs still be able to get their programming just not in HD?
I didn see any pricing for extra receivers.
Thanks
John

extra receivers if you buy are $199 but in the sears promotion I do not know how much. Just ask.