Voom STB questions

rudolpht said:
You need to hit info. It doesn't really let you scroll through channels like a normal guide should.

Gotcha! Hopefully V* decides to take advantage of the LED display in a future SW/FW upgrade in the future.

Bill

VOOM sign up

I visited the VOOM site and it appears if I sign up for service, it is at no cost to me. Am I reading that right? I now have Dish Network and would like to keep it until I am comfortable with VOOM and happy with there programing quality. If I am not happy with it can I cancel with no cost to me? Can I operate both of these sytems, and will the VOOM installer have to add extra cables etc, to allow both to be hook up to my HD TV.

stormy said:
I visited the VOOM site and it appears if I sign up for service, it is at no cost to me. Am I reading that right? I now have Dish Network and would like to keep it until I am comfortable with VOOM and happy with there programing quality. If I am not happy with it can I cancel with no cost to me? Can I operate both of these sytems, and will the VOOM installer have to add extra cables etc, to allow both to be hook up to my HD TV.

Welcome.

The answer is YES YES YES...

Does Voom have picture formatting???

Hey does voom have any of these things?:
View multiple screen formats (standard, letterbox, panorama, cine-zoom, plus more).
The new hughes HD Box does for D*, this will help me decide to cancel my Voom Install or keep it.

If you go green button & System Settings, I think the first item shows the two options for either a 4:3 or 16x9 set to stretch or not stretch material. I assume you mean the DirecTV receiver has those modes for SD material. If your set can't do the rest you are SOL.

cost of vavavoom?

Throughout this site, discussions indicate that the Vavavoom program cost is $80/month with $9.50 additional for rental of receiver.

However, I just saw a Voom advertisement indicating that the Vavavoom package is $90/month.

Clarification please. (My prices are rounded off to highest $.)

Shelly

shelly said:
Throughout this site, discussions indicate that the Vavavoom program cost is $80/month with $9.50 additional for rental of receiver.

However, I just saw a Voom advertisement indicating that the Vavavoom package is $90/month.

Clarification please. (My prices are rounded off to highest $.)

Shelly

It is $80 + $Receiver Fee if you lease. If you buy the receiver, it is $80.

Newbie Questions?

Two questions.......

1. I noticed on the voom site there is a reminder feature. Where voom automactically tunes to a station for you. Can you set this up on recurring weekly cycles. So will voom automatically tune to South park every wed or do I have to program each reminder per week?

2. Does voom only output to one source? Or do all outputs (COMP, DVI, SVIDEO) put out signal all the time?

The reason for the questions is I'm trying to use my replaytv. I was thinking if the I could run DVI to my HDTV and Svideo to my replaytv. Then setup my replaytv to manually record at certain time from the Svideo input. This would work if I can get the Voom Receiver to auto tune to my shows. This is in perpetration of my install Friday.

Thanks for any replies.

I can't answer #1, but to question #2 the answer is yes, all outputs are active.

Edit: Damn you Sean...beat me to the punch. ;)

Bill

Answers...

I can tell you that all the outputs on your Voom receiver (Motorola DSR-550) are all active at the same time so you can connect your replay tv like I will be connecting my TIVO.

As for the reminders just call 1-800-GET-VOOM and ask them.

Bill

alton987 said:
Two questions.......

1. I noticed on the voom site there is a reminder feature. Where voom automactically tunes to a station for you. Can you set this up on recurring weekly cycles. So will voom automatically tune to South park every wed or do I have to program each reminder per week?

2. Does voom only output to one source? Or do all outputs (COMP, DVI, SVIDEO) put out signal all the time?

The reason for the questions is I'm trying to use my replaytv. I was thinking if the I could run DVI to my HDTV and Svideo to my replaytv. Then setup my replaytv to manually record at certain time from the Svideo input. This would work if I can get the Voom Receiver to auto tune to my shows. This is in perpetration of my install Friday.

Thanks for any replies.

Voom STB output question

Does the STB output Component and DVI at the same time? Trying to decide whether to buy the WVHS VCR or not :)

I am a VOOM newbie with a question about the STB. I am having a problem with the color balance using either the composite video or s-video outputs from the box. The colors seem almost OK if the contrast is high but for low contrast material everything has a green tint. The picture is fine using DVI and composite video and my tv looks fine playing s-video or vhs tapes. Is there any known color problem with the STB? I have seen this effect on many channels although the OTA channels seem much better.

Martyn

I currently have two STBs and they both work fine. Over the weekend I was having some work done in the room where STB1 was installed and so I disconnected it for a couple of hours (power and antenna). During this time, the OTAs disappeared from STB2, but the VOOM channels were coming through just fine. After STB1 was reconnected, everything went back to normal. Can anyone shed any light on why this might have happened?

lakewoodvoomer said:
I currently have two STBs and they both work fine. Over the weekend I was having some work done in the room where STB1 was installed and so I disconnected it for a couple of hours (power and antenna). During this time, the OTAs disappeared from STB2, but the VOOM channels were coming through just fine. After STB1 was reconnected, everything went back to normal. Can anyone shed any light on why this might have happened?
You probably have an amplified antenna which takes voltage from one of your STBs (STB1). Disconnecting STB1 cut off the power to your antenna, that's why STB2 lost OTAs.