w5 & dsr 410

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
Can I run a quick survey? For you guys using DSR 410 on W5 and what is your feeling about the service?

I was give an 8 foot solid dish and am thinking about using it as a stationary dish up and going for it.

Are you guys pleased? Is it worth it?

What do you think?

thanks.

I don't have a 410 but a 922. I think the services provided on W5 are very good. I sub to quite a few. The picture quality vs cable or the little dish is much better. And the pricing for the basic packages are very good. An 8 footer locked down on W5 will work very well.
I say go for it :)

The DSR410s work great on W5 even with a 6' dish. The receivers are very affordable, the packages are priced fine. The 410s I own do not have the S-Video outputs, but I've read some do. So, depending on your TV a 922 might have a better picture using S- Video as compared to the RCA A/V outputs.

I'm so glad for the move to W5 C band. Hopefully, it will get some unused dishes back into service.

Having the DSR-410 for a few days I can say I am glad I went this route instead of going with a small dish. I have the deluxe package for now and paid quarterly.

When you get it set up, be patient for the activation and programming or whatever it does to make it work. As said in other posts, ask for a "hit" as that is what took mine to program itself correctly.

I don't have a 410, but I have a 920, and I am very happy with the W5 service using a 7.5 ft dish. My favorite channel - VH1 Classic - is available in a very inexpensive package. I think I paid $49 for an entire year of VH1 Classic, MTV2, VH1 Soul, Noggin TV, Nick Toons. To get VH1 Classic on either DirecTV or Dishnetwork involves buying a very expensive monthly package.

I am watching VH-1 Classic now "Poison- Unskinny bop" video......Awesome those were the days, Big Hair and short skirts LOL.

I have a DSR=905 and sub to some of the w5 services. I have the NPS "KU value pack" as it was once called.

Pic quality beats cable or pizza pan services. Prices are cheaper too.
GO FOR IT!!

You will love it. Movie channels there too if you like.

I would some day like to see the w5 deal take away a lot of pizza pan subs.
It would probably if there were some HD there and a star choice HD receiver was available for the w5 deal.

I Knew i could count on your guys for an honest review of the service. gonna work on it over the summer. thanks to all who responded.

I have got a DSR-410 hooked up to a run-of-the-mill 6 foot solid antenna.
Would recommend the Pansat C-band LNBF as a more durable widget to install at the focal point, but have had pretty good luck with the basic DMS BSC-421. The Pansat unit costs a little more, but has a higher metal content. My old fashioned thinking still tells me that weight equals substance.

Reception: we had almost 12 inches of rain over the weekend. No outages on this C-band system while all of my Ku-band equipment was muted out!
(Except for the tree dropping on the power pole transformer at 9pm on Saturday during a thunderstorm). Local power company dispatched a crew to remove the branches up on top, change a lightning arrestor and a fuse----they were gone by 11:30pm, and I was able to watch a movie at midnight. Spent most of the next afternoon cutting my way out of the driveway, in between cloudbursts. (I am not making any of this up!)

In a nutshell, you cannot go wrong with this system, if you are looking for better picture quality than the DBS alternatives, as well as something that is highly resistant to heavy rain. Six foot or larger C-band antenna will suffice, along with a high quality LNBF. Drop me a PM if you need any more details.

As I write, channel 215 (TV Land) is coming in at a +6.6 dB.
It must be mentioned that this antenna is perhaps blocked about 15-20% by the edge of a 1.8 m solid offset that I cannot move. The six foot prime focus is probably 20 years old, solid one piece steel, and I happened to find an opening in front of it that works for me. Second qualification is that this has not been adjusted since mid to late April, and my recollection is that I did have numbers in the +8 dB range during an initial alignment. Still has 4-1/2 dB margin above the 2 dB muting threshold as it sits, and it survived our storms quite well.
Did you see film of the Lake Delton overspill and emptying earlier on Monday??
Thank God I am on high ground!

I am having trouble with my 410. Yesterday the programming went out on all channels and I get the 'a subscription is required, contact programming provider' message. I called SRL and they sent rehits and said to wait as much as 24 hours. I see the trip counter move when they send rehits(and when I send my own from websams). My subscription is current. I called skyvision and they suggested a master reset. I will try tonight, but I have my doubts. Is anyone else having the same type of problem with their dsr410?

As I write, channel 215 (TV Land) is coming in at a +6.6 dB.
It must be mentioned that this antenna is perhaps blocked about 15-20% by the edge of a 1.8 m solid offset that I cannot move. The six foot prime focus is probably 20 years old, solid one piece steel, and I happened to find an opening in front of it that works for me. Second qualification is that this has not been adjusted since mid to late April, and my recollection is that I did have numbers in the +8 dB range during an initial alignment. Still has 4-1/2 dB margin above the 2 dB muting threshold as it sits, and it survived our storms quite well.
OK sounds about right. I know with my 6 footer and the 905 I was getting around +7.5 or so

Did you see film of the Lake Delton overspill and emptying earlier on Monday??
Thank God I am on high ground!
I saw the footage of the two houses near Wisc Dells that 1/2 the house just shredded apart and fell into the river...that was pretty freaky :eek:

I am having trouble with my 410. Yesterday the programming went out on all channels and I get the 'a subscription is required, contact programming provider' message. I called SRL and they sent rehits and said to wait as much as 24 hours. I see the trip counter move when they send rehits(and when I send my own from websams). My subscription is current. I called skyvision and they suggested a master reset. I will try tonight, but I have my doubts. Is anyone else having the same type of problem with their dsr410?

When I setup the 410 from my home to my Dad's, mine kept losing TVLand from the channel lineup. I had to reset it several times over the months. Currently, remapped for W5 and working fine back at my home since C band is not an option were it was.:(

one quick question does the 410 have a battery you have to worry about like the 920 or 922? I had someone give me a 920 a few years ago and i used it till my son unplugged it. Battery was shot. still have it but now it is more or less a boat anchor. lol.

one quick question does the 410 have a battery you have to worry about like the 920 or 922? I had someone give me a 920 a few years ago and i used it till my son unplugged it. Battery was shot. still have it but now it is more or less a boat anchor. lol.

Yes, DSR 410 has a battery to retain the digital id number of the receiver.

another update on the dsr410 authorization- I called SRL the next day after waiting 24 hours as advised. The rep I spoke with was very helpful and sent rehits until my programming came back. If they tell you to wait 24 hours, ask for more rehits(if you are getting the 'subscription required' screen).

This from a later post in another thread..........
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1405120-post4.html

I've not seen any mention of anyone getting the other "free" DC II content up there. Any tricks? Maybe it will take the 4DTV maps?
Love the concept so I'm going to go ahead and get one as well. Got me wondering though, what 'tweaking' was needed to move it from Ku to C........... cant be a lot.....
Anyone know if they will authorize a unit the dont sell?

W5 picture quality and audio rocks! The price is right too. That deluxe package is sweet.
I love the no contract requirement of C-band providers. Everything is pre-paid. No getting behind here.

I don't have a 410 but I sub to many of the hits channels on w5 on my 905.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)