Waterproof coax connections

boomerang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2003
Michigan
I had a problem earlier this year where water had gotten into the connectors out at the dish. I cut the cables shorter and put on some generic connectors I had and was good to go.

Before the bad weather sets in, I'd like to put some good weatherproof connectors out there. I also need a compression tool and a compatible stripper. My problem is I get real confused as to what works with what.

I called one of the sponsors here and got a young girl whose answer to every one of my questions was, "I think so".

I know similar questions have been covered before, but my searches aren't coming up with the answers I need, regarding the compatibility issue.

I have no problem purchasing through a sponsor here, I just need to know what to order.

How much do you plan on using the tools and how much are you willing to pay. T've got 4-5 crimpers from a $10 backup to a $79 ratching crimper I use most of the time, and those are wholesale prices. That's not counting strippers and fittings. Fittings can run from 15 cents to about 75 cents depending on quantities. Cheapest usually in thousand plus quantities.

Good questions, I hope I have good answers.

I don't mind spending money on quality tools. I need to temper that by saying that I work with coax about once a year.

As far as paying, $79 for a crimper would be my top end. Remember that I can't buy wholesale.

As far as connectors go, I would not mind buying a bag of 50.

To reiterate, watertight connections is my goal. I want connectors that I can achieve that goal with and compatible tools within my budget. How about $125 max for the whole shooting match?

Doable?

The term "waterproof" needs to be clarified. Water Resistant" is a closer goal to achieve. Most compression connectors are recommended because they resist being pulled off the cable, not because of being waterproof. Have had limited success using ANY style connector in a wet environment. Coax seal is helpful to shield entry of rain. Avoid installation jobs where connecters are buried. The cable passes DC current & RF. Even humidity can form carbon, which results in signal loss. If anyone has found a maker that claims "waterproof" specs for their connectors, I would appreciate learning who that maker is.

I just installed my compression ends and screwed them in tight.. Never been an issue. However, Home Depot sells 3M Temflex 2155 for 2.50 a roll (It's usually with the electrical tape display, it comes as a roll in a plastic bag). Basically it's a roll of rubber. We use this to wrap around connections for wireless Internet installations and then we wrap a layer of electrical tape over it. it works very well, especially in the harsh winters here.

I like it better than Mastik, coax seal, etc. because you can generally take it back off after, but also because it isn't as messy as some of that stuff is.

I just installed my compression ends and screwed them in tight.. Never been an issue. However, Home Depot sells 3M Temflex 2155 for 2.50 a roll (It's usually with the electrical tape display, it comes as a roll in a plastic bag). Basically it's a roll of rubber. We use this to wrap around connections for wireless Internet installations and then we wrap a layer of electrical tape over it. it works very well, especially in the harsh winters here.

I like it better than Mastik, coax seal, etc. because you can generally take it back off after, but also because it isn't as messy as some of that stuff is.
I've got a roll of it here now. It's what I had on them before. It doesn't hold up to UV very well. However, I did not think to overwrap it with electrical tape. Now that stuff, I think, will last forever. I had my well put in 21 years ago and there is still the original electrical tape wrapped around from the well pipe to the electrical conduit. (Don't know why they even put it on there.) I think that is what I will go with. Thanks!

They tell you in the data sheet to wrap over it with electrical tape because it can unravel otherwise. They recommend either use electrical tape (I use 3M Super 88 here because it's good for a range of cold-hot) or you can use the cloth friction tape, which I'm not a fan of.

Hopefully it does the trick for you. It seems to have served us pretty well. We used to use mastik and that's nasty to take off. It goes on like play-doh and comes off like... well, mostly it doesn't come off. You can cut it down the side and pull it off, but it's not as easy by any means.

Uh, maybe that's not what I have then. This stuff stuck really well. To itself, the coax, the connectors, everything. But it got a multitude of cracks in it, I assume from exposure to the sun. Even all cracked, it was still a bear to get off. It had to be slit and peeled off.

You've given me the name brands of the good stuff. I thank you for that and will be sure to get both and give it a try.

I had a problem earlier this year where water had gotten into the connectors out at the dish. I cut the cables shorter and put on some generic connectors I had and was good to go.

Before the bad weather sets in, I'd like to put some good weatherproof connectors out there. I also need a compression tool and a compatible stripper. My problem is I get real confused as to what works with what.

I called one of the sponsors here and got a young girl whose answer to every one of my questions was, "I think so".

I know similar questions have been covered before, but my searches aren't coming up with the answers I need, regarding the compatibility issue.

I have no problem purchasing through a sponsor here, I just need to know what to order.
Stop it!!! Do not spend money on tools you'll need to use infrequently. Go to an electric supply house and buy a tube of dielectric silicone. This product unlike normal silicone does not "set up' or harden. It remains a creme type consistency. it prevents moisture from invading the connections. I use it all the time. AND it's inexpensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)