We Must Be Getting Close

But with what HipKat has posted above, I must say I am disappointed there is no Dolby Vision support on these boxes. Even some of the cheap Android boxes at Walmart now support those standards now.
As far as I can tell - nothing that HipKat posted suggests the units cannot do DolbyVision. HEVC video codec can support Dolby Vision. The omission of Dolby Vision in the HDR section suggests they don't have Dolby Vision, but it appears that they COULD support Dolby Vision if they were properly licensed.

Last edited:
We have Roku Ultras connected to our TVs. It’ll be nice not having to sort out what my wife seems to screw up all the time when going from TV to Roku or vice versa.

All three of our TVs are connected to receivers, she somehow manages to change all kinds of settings on them as well as the TV & Roku settings…

We have Roku Ultras connected to our TVs. It’ll be nice not having to sort out what my wife seems to screw up all the time when going from TV to Roku or vice versa.

All three of our TVs are connected to receivers, she somehow manages to change all kinds of settings on them as well as the TV & Roku settings…
TCL/Roku 85” 7 series, hooked up to the pre-amp/processor via eARC, down to 1 Remote, all content via Roku interface on the TV, my wife refuses to change, she does not want to go back to the day of multiple remotes or the all in one type, she loves the minimum remote with very few buttons, yet does everything we need it to do.

I remember coming home from work multiple times and everything would be messed up with the TV, Receiver and whatever TV Service we were using at the time, now, every once in a while, even with the one remote, she can still do it, she will just yell at me from another room to fix it.

Last edited:
Sadly, given Logitech has discontinued the Harmony Remote line, its probably not a given that these new Android boxes will work with Harmony Remotes. I know Logitech is still supporting existing remotes, but its something to keep in mind.

Seems like it's always the wives LOL

• Haha
Reactions: charlesrshell
Sadly, given Logitech has discontinued the Harmony Remote line, its probably not a given that these new Android boxes will work with Harmony Remotes. I know Logitech is still supporting existing remotes, but its something to keep in mind.
I have/had Harmony remotes for all our systems, they now reside in my electronics junk parts box. I've set up/programmed way too many over the years for friends that were too lazy to R_T_F_M and do it them selfs>>>Callbacks were regular with the Harmony's!!!

She uses Netflix, Etc. in the DISH Guide because it's simple>>> BUT when she wants to watch HBO-MAX, Apple TV, Etc. I end up helping her every time!!!!!!!!!
I welcome DISH adding all the streamers, especially since we subscribe to too many.

My Wife was/is the Master of Disaster when it comes to messing up (Harmony, Roku, Or Dish Remotes) what I feel is so simple to operate...But I Still Love Her!

Not sure I see much value. I must be missing it.

No real Internet browser?

No physical keyboard to speed things up- or might it allow that?

Functions done by my Roku or natively on my Sony 900 TV will be duplicated- but which way will perform better? I doubt I can record YT stuff on the Hopper. Granted, not much need for that.

More weather apps- would they run faster via Hopper?

Games, which I don’t play.

Getting large screen cooking and bartendering apps, social networking, shopping, books and periodicals will be of some value. I guess.

Another way to control things, better done by smartphone: Immersion cookers, garage door openers, lights, timers, smart appliances, alarms….

Email apps, movie reviews/trailers and financial apps on large screen- maybe of some value, if I’d trust it with my PWS.

More details on functionality and price will drive this decision.

No real Internet browser?

You can download a browser from the Google Play Store

No physical keyboard to speed things up- or might it allow that?

If its like any other Google TV device you can pair a Bluetooth Keyboard with it.

Functions done by my Roku or natively on my Sony 900 TV will be duplicated- but which way will perform better? I doubt I can record YT stuff on the Hopper. Granted, not much need for that.

No it does not record from Youtube.

More weather apps- would they run faster via Hopper?

You can have any apps you wish from the Play store. If you want a bunch of Weather apps... well they are there.

Games, which I don’t play.
I don't play games either but I understand the Android TV boxes are really good at gaming (and Multi Player Gaming too)

Getting large screen cooking and bartendering apps, social networking, shopping, books and periodicals will be of some value. I guess.
If its in the store it can be yours.

Another way to control things, better done by smartphone: Immersion cookers, garage door openers, lights, timers, smart appliances, alarms….
It does have the Google Assistant built in so yes it can do those things.

Email apps, movie reviews/trailers and financial apps on large screen- maybe of some value, if I’d trust it with my PWS.
Again if its in the store you can have it. :)

More details on functionality and price will drive this decision.
The functionality will be like any other AndroidTV box but with live DISH TV service built in. I have however heard nothing on the price. As I said before I don't expect a wide rollout of this until Summer.

The functionality will be like any other AndroidTV box but with live DISH TV service built in.
Shades of the Logitech Revue. ;) I'm probably the only one who bought one of those things. It was a weird one with HDMI in as well as out. (Your Dish receiver out went to that HDMI in.) Kinda clunky and there were never very many apps designed for Android 3.0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts