Weekend experiment for 30W with a little dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Im going to try this with a 32" in northwestern ontario. Need to find a good line of site tho

You do good work Jason S, an inspiration to all. Congrats on getting Hispasat. A good bird and pretty much by itself in the Eastern arc. Nothing too strong around it for Ku like when at 95-97-99-101 longitudes.

What's the size of the dish you used?

For metal work, do you weld/braze your own fabrications? Often thought that welding skills would come in handy for this hobby. If you do weld, do you use O2 and MAP gas, or electric welding?

Okay, I used up my quota of questions for today hi hi.

Thanks Jason S.

Reactions: Jason S
You do good work Jason S, an inspiration to all. Congrats on getting Hispasat. A good bird and pretty much by itself in the Eastern arc. Nothing too strong around it for Ku like when at 95-97-99-101 longitudes.
Thank you! Your comment is very much appreciated. Mainly I wanted to share descriptions and photos of what I did and if it worked. My original inspiration for the Dish 500 was from some photos that Fred555 graciously provided. The inspiration for my second setup came from this post http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/2602285/.

What's the size of the dish you used?
The Dish 500 is about 22" high by 20.5" wide. The Wild Blue is about 26" high by 28" wide.

For metal work, do you weld/braze your own fabrications? Often thought that welding skills would come in handy for this hobby. If you do weld, do you use O2 and MAP gas, or electric welding?
No welding, the 220V hasn't been wired yet (have to upgrade the panel in the shop). All of the metal work on the two dishes have been done using common tools: cordless drill, tin snips, pop rivets, machine screws, files, pliers, rubber mallet, claw hammer and crescent wrenches.

Reactions: fred555
Give it a try. I'm sure the 32" would much better than either of my two setups.

The only thing is being so far north i may have to put it up on a pole 20 feet over my roof. Trying to ponder how to do this.

As long as you have LOS you should be good with a 32inch dish. Many use a 30. And quite a few use slightly smaller. I am using a 30 inch Channel Master, inverted, as it's elevation is only 6.4°.
www.dishpointer.com may be helpful.

I am at 48N 89w so i can probably invert and attempt as well. Will post results. Just under the weather the last cpl days.

Here is my weekend DISH project.

A friend dropped of a Dish Turbo HD a few weeks ago. Up until now I have only experimented with DirecTV dishes.

First I removed the LNBF assembly:

feed.jpg

Then after a little trial and error I made an adapter plate out of 1/8 aluminum flat stock. No extra hardware is needed besides the plate and the lnbf holder. I reused the screws and nuts that came out of the assembly above. The existing screw holes in the arm were reused also. No drilling required in the arm.

lnbf.jpg

dish.jpg

Sitting out in the yard watching RTV until the sun came out. HOT!
Once the sun goes away I will tweak a little more. Currently at 55% Q with steady picture.

Is the LNB you're using a PLL? I got about 55% on RTV with a standard LNB on a similar dish, when I swapped it out for a PLL it jumped to 65-70% in good weather, upper 50's in bad weather.

Is the LNB you're using a PLL? I got about 55% on RTV with a standard LNB on a similar dish, when I swapped it out for a PLL it jumped to 65-70% in good weather, upper 50's in bad weather.
Its a Titanium PLL. I still have to tweak some more Q out of it tomorrow. It was getting hot today and was getting enough signal to watch in the shade and called it good enough for now.

My 30W dish is a DirecTV dish. I'm far enough east that I don't have to invert it.
I think I'm not even bottomed out on the elevation adjustment.

It's a Manhattan RS-1933 receiver and a Titanium PLL-Ku LNBF.

I searched Satelliteguys to find active transponder information. Active transponders were then manually input into the transponder list in the receiver.

Hey Jason, where did you go to buy the Titanium Ku LNB?? I went to Titaniums online store and didn't see it there at all. If your picking up Cubavision that strongly on a small dish, I definitely need to swap out my LNB. I'm using an Invacom PLL Universal LNB which is supposed to be near top of the line, with my 90cm Geosatpro Dish; but I don't get any signal at all from that satellite. I even double checked my elevation settings to be sure. Could you post a pic of the label on the back of the LNB? Thanks! :)

Reactions: Titanium
Hey Jason, where did you go to buy the Titanium Ku LNB??
I bought them off KE4EST's ebay listing (linked in Titanium's post above). I've got 4 or 5 of these LNBFs now.

If your picking up Cubavision that strongly on a small dish, I definitely need to swap out my LNB. I'm using an Invacom PLL Universal LNB which is supposed to be near top of the line, with my 90cm Geosatpro Dish; but I don't get any signal at all from that satellite. I even double checked my elevation settings to be sure.
The PLL-KU was used on both my little dish setups and has performed very well. I'd would imagine that with a 90cm dish you'd have even better results.

About a month ago, I did a direct swap of a Titanium PLL-KU for an Invacom SNH-031 universal on a non-peaked 1.2m dish on 125W. The results were quite impressive. Photos of receiver Q showing before and after are here

Could you post a pic of the label on the back of the LNB? Thanks!

Photo per request...
DSC06436.JPG

Was receiving 30W using a Superdish for quite a while, very good reception in the high 70%. Now having problems, tree branches on the next door neighbor grown out too big, blocking LOS. Might have to relocate the dish.

Why not get permission to trim the offending tree branches. If the branches extend onto your property then trim them if you can.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts