Weighing Options?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Well, after waiting about 3 months now for someone besides leo mall/mr savings mall to get some DMX741S LNBFs in so I can replace the ones that lightning took out, it's getting to a point that I'm going to have to do something other than that. I've sent messages to several vendors trying to get info on when more LNBFs will be available but so far nothing has shown up. I've got some options, none of which are as simple as the DMX741s, but options just the same.

A. I could put my Corotor II feed horn back on and resurrect my Motorola 920 to control polarity with my Openbox S9 slaved to it. That would also give me the capability to sub to W5 if I wanted although that never has been a priority for me.

B. Same deal only using an old Pansat 3500 SD as a mover and polarity controller and the same S9 slaved to that.

C. Install a second feedhorn on my prime focus dish for Ku and not bother with A and B?

D. Scrap the lot and just watch OTA.

Since my darling Wife doesn't watch TV I don't have to consider what she wants or needs so that's a good thing.

If I go for the standalone Ku add on feed horn I'll need to look to see if there is something simple to mount. I've already got a Cband only LNBF so I'd need something similar to that in Ku but haven't actually looked to see what's available.

Ennywho, does anyone see a problem that I should know about with any of these scenarios?

Thanks

Buy an C only orthomode feedhorn from Rick's above. $75. Two cheap ESX211 13k lnb's from WSI = $30~. a 4x8 switch with 18volt mod = $20.

Now you have a good setup, and it does both H and V!

Don't buy from Rick. He is destroying this hobby.

Why not just get a DMX741 from Leomall? I see many listed on eBay.

Don't buy from Rick. He is destroying this hobby.

Why not just get a DMX741 from Leomall? I see many listed on eBay.

Leomall/Mrsavingsmall screwed me on a warranty claim on a Vbox X back about a year and a half ago. Didn't mind selling it to me but when it went south he refused to warranty it! Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

That and he's jacked the price up about $14 above what I paid for the last one I bought and yes, he has a right to do that and I also have a right to not pay that price.

other options

Well, Hypermegasat seems to have the 621 from DMSI in stock. (free shipping)
Both in Standard and Universal.
I'm no fan of DMSI and some of their products, but that's about the closest to what you have now.
Also, it's a quick fix.

If you were seriously considering a substantial upgrade, then keep an eye out for a dual band ortho.

Performance reports of off-center Ku LNBFs are varied, probably more on the dish than the skill of the installer.
If you want to try one, see SatAV or DMSI dealers ...
or scrounge up an Invacom AF-120 feed, and bolt on your favorite flange-mount LNB.
(eg: Dish FSS, Primestar, any Invacom xPF-###, or other)

OTA: I have a dedicated computer recording mostly network shows in HD.
And the new season just started! ;)
Los Angeles has 80+ OTA TV stations.

iPhone4

Here is a thread about a dealer with 10 pcs of your 741:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/292908-Best-Combo-LNBF-Money-Can-buy

Already contacted that vendor several times and he doesn't have any to sell and that's the reason the price is where it is!! He did tell me that he was "suppose" to get some in this month but the message I got back from him last week stated that he had no idea when they would arrive.

I did send hypermegasat a message on fleabay today trying to find out what the difference is between the 621 and the 741. Probably won't hear anything from him until tomorrow though.

Anyway, thanks to all for the input!

I'd search the forum for comparison info on the 621.
Maybe a review.
Lot of members have tried 'em.

Did that search and found out that the 621s have a terrible reputation on the Ku side, something I use just about as much as Cband.

But I do have another option as today I took two fried LNBFs and made one good one. One Cband side was horked up and the other the Ku side was so I took good parts from two bad ones and made one good one!! That and another member here contacted me here via PM stating he had a 741 that he was not using that he might be willing to part with so we'll see what comes out of that and go from there. If I get that one then that fixes both systems and I can wait until the fleabay vendors have them cheap again to by a spare!! ;)

Thanks for the help guys!!

Hello Lone Gunman,

I sent you a PM with a link for a DMX741. Looks like it would cost $34.95 and free shipping. Don't know if that will help. Good luck.

I'd like that link also.

Hello Lone Gunman,

I sent you a PM with a link for a DMX741. Looks like it would cost $34.95 and free shipping. Don't know if that will help. Good luck.

I answered your PM and FYI for the rest of you. Allstar Wholesales is the site and they don't have them either or at least they didn't last week. Note on their ad page that they say "Special Order".

I know SatAV doesn't sell the CK-1 any more, but you might see if ya can find one.
I remember it as similar to the original 741.
Used to have both. Traded one to somebody, but don't recall which. :)
Never played with a late 741, having the ugly orange Ku LNB.

edit: last but not least ...
Doesnt the 741 come from Galaxy/WSI?
They've got an office just above Los Angeles in California.
May still have office or warehouse in Atlanta Georgia, too.
Monday, call up the boss and get an answer on the next shipment!
I certainly would! ;)

Last edited:
Lone,

I have a CK1 and a KU for a prime focus from Satellite AV that aren't getting used right now. I was not thrilled with the performance of the CK1 on my 6' WSI so I switched to an ortho feed on it. I was planning on using the WSI as a Ku only once I put up my 10' KTI, but I have decided it will be retired as it will not last through a transplant. Let me know if you could use either of these LNBFs. I would rather see them being used than sitting on my shelf.

I wont be using either as I am looking for a bargain priced or free Ku Ortho feed for the 1.8 Prodelin to solve a couple of problems I am having. I plan to motorize the Prodelin after I get the KTI up. The weather is getting good for pole setting in my parts....

Rick is OK. I bought a few items a few years ago. one of them didn't work and he replaced it quickly with apologies.

It's a big internet. A lot of people find a place in it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)