Welcome New Members! (Please Say HI here!)

Hi!

Hi, everybody. This is my first post, but I've been lurking about for a couple of weeks, trying to get info on the new DirecTV HD channels. While waiting for them, I've learned that this is a cool site. I've been into home theatre for about 4 years, and recently have gotten into audio mixing and recording. Anyways, thanks to all the friendly people here!:)

Hello

Greetings to everyone here. I'm currently a cable TV customer, however, I'm very interested in possibly switching to satellite in the near future. Like many others here, the upgrades with D* are at the forefront of my mind, and I'd like to learn as much as I can about satellite TV from those who have experience with it. :up

Here is a little more about myself.

I am a former broadcaster, sound recording engineer, small business owner and currently a professional Leprechuan.
I was born in Brooklyn New York, now living in Tampa Florida at my mother in laws condo with my wife, who I refer to as Goddess with whom I will celebrate our first anniversary on October 14th.

In 1984 I developed Macular Degeneration in my left eye, my “good” eye, I was born without the use or my right eye, and have a hearing loss in both ears. For that reason, I am partial to CRT screen, but Goddess and I went to Best Buy last week and look at plasma screens.
We saw o 60 inch for close to $6200.00, if I had the money and the space, I would not have asked my wife’s permission; I would have bought it.
Although, by asking permission, which keeps me from sleeping on the sofa.
I use to do sound reinforcement and was a house manager for am off Broadway play in 2003.
When I get back to New York, I might try doing sound design for off Broadway and see how it goes.
I have E* since I moved to Brooklyn in 2003, and upgraded to HD after the wedding last year and even with the limited eyesight, I was blown away by the HD channel in New York.
When I got to Tampa, I got an OTA indoor antenna, and was blown away again by the local OTA signal.

Well, that’s me in a nutshell.

If you any questions, just drop me a note.

Peace,

Michael/Leprechuan

Last edited:
Hello

Hello - I am glad to be a part of the club :D

I am mainly interested in Free-To-Air viewed on a PC, using either a PCI card or USB device. I am sick and tired of set-top boxes, and love the stability and flexibilty that using a PC to view satellites offers.

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your stay. Wow!!!!! I find Set-Top boxes are a lot more stable than PCI cards, and since I haven't tried a USB card, I can't comment. A PC may have more flexibility with some things, but a STB has more flexibility with other things. So, I guess one could call it a Draw. Me, I prefer a STB over the PCI card. I have a PCI card and rarely use it. To me it seems a lot more trouble and the STB works with ease. But, there are a lot of PCI users here, and I'm sure some would agree with you and disagree with me?

Al

Hello! Everyone I'm NetGuy63

Hello to everyone I'm look forward to chat with everybody as time goes by but if you don't here from I'm just studying to update my Microsoft credentials for networking and databases. I'll talk later after exploring this nice forum to find out some questions that I have floating in my head. I can't wait to enjoy my HD programming on the 4th of Oct with slowtv. :)

Hi everyone. I have some FTA experience, still like to learn more. I found this place long time ago, but never had time to join. Now is a time. I know - this place is realy cool.

Hi everyone, like a few others been lurking around here for a few days and am really impressed with the knowledge and friendliness of most of the people here. I'm a real novice to alot of what is said regarding satellite information but you fine folks have made it attainable to folks like me. Thanks

Hi, I am a DTV user, reasonably electronic literate and a computer programmer by trade. Currently going through the hell of a 5 lnb upgrade.
I am here to squeeze your knowledgeable brains.

Hellooooooo, noob checking in. I am a DTV subscriber, I think that's "D", or is it "E", anyway went satellite years ago because cable SUCKED, in the rural area I lived in. "E" had no representation in that area at the time, so I went with "D". Get what I want from "D" with a Phillips DVR, and have never had a problem with service. I'm not anykind of satellite fanatic, just an average viewer with occasional questions. Oh yeah, TurboBob is just a carry-over from some automotive forums I frequent, and my wife thinks that my Southpark character is a perfect representation of me.

another newbie

Good Morning,

Just wanted to say hello. I live in Houston, TX and recently switched back to Directv from Comcast. I found this site while trying to do research on when the new HD channels would be available. This site has a wealth of information and I am grateful to all the posters who share their knowledge. We have an Aquos LCD television with H20 receiver. We are getting channels 480/481, 498 (with sound) and channels 9300 and 9301. The programming on 9300 have changed several times today and overnight. Also there looks like there are several other channels being prepped. Check out channels 482-490.

The timing oof me finding this site is perfect. You guys are awesome!! I'm glad I no longer have to refer to misinformed agents when I call D* with regard to the upcoming HD lineup.
Keep up the good work.

Hi everybody, I registered a while back, never introduced myself. I am pleased to be part of this forum. I have been reading and the info in this site is great . Thank you for your knowledge and allowing me to be part of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts