Well, I did it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Found a used Openbox S9 on Amazon the other day and after trading messages with the seller I went ahead and bought it just now. This will be a Christmas present for my darling Wife. :rolleyes: I like the one I got from cream123 so much I decided that needed another one for my other system that has the AZ Ultra connected to it now.

So when that one gets here next week I'll have two S9s, one AZ Elite, one AZ Ultra, one GI 920 and one Pansat 3500. :D

I think this satellite "hobby" is actually some type of sickness! :eek:

Yeah I have got to get another S2 box for the bedroom. I hope christmas brings me something. Most likely a S9 or S10. I have Manhattan and another on the list, but I know how my wife shops(price):D

I think this satellite "hobby" is actually some type of sickness! :eek:

Yes, but a good sickness - - - my wife says I get most of my dishes for free and at least I'm home - - - if I was a golfer - - I would not be home. I got the sickness pretty bad!!! :)

Actually I've got another hobby that is MUCH more addictive and MUCH more expensive than the satellite stuff. Right now I've got 2 complete turn key race cars, and I also have a rolling chassis (no engine or transmission) car sitting in my "SECOND" enclosed car trailer!

Bad part about this hobby is we went testing the dragster today and that 265 mile round trip cost me $75 in diesel fuel, $35 to get in the gate and $10 to make time runs with that car. Then there's the C12 race gas that's $10.50 a gallon and I burnt up 3 gallons of that today too. And NONE of the wear and tear on tires, engines, etc is figured into any of that. Tell me again why I still do this?

Video links:

This one is of the car which now has no engine or transmission. That engine and tranny are in the car in the second video.

http://ftrdesign.com/movies/camaro1.mov

This is the recipient of that engine and tranny out of that Camaro in the first video. It's a 225" wheelbase Undercover rear engine dragster. I went from running 5.40s @ 126 MPH in the eight mile in that Camaro to running 4.90s @ 140 MPH in the dragster.......same engine in both. It's the most fun I've ever had with my cloths on! ;-) Oh, and I'm 66 years old now and going faster than I ever have in my life! "You don't stop doing stuff because you get old, you get old because you stop doing stuff!"

http://ftrdesign.com/movies/dragster1.mp4

Actually I've got another hobby.........Oh, and I'm 66 years old now and going faster than I ever have in my life! "You don't stop doing stuff because you get old, you get old because you stop doing stuff!"
You sure have that right! Just wish employers would realize that some "old" people still have much to offer. I am only two years under you and need to work until I croak. But no one hires "old" people. They think we should get in our rockers and not think about work. :rant: (rant over)

Good shot on the S9. Like mine very much. Could have another if a bad company would ever send me a good one. Two bad ones from them so far.

Go F-A-S-T, but be as safe as you can with that sport.

I am only two years under you and need to work until I croak.

The Wife and I did some retirement planning about 15 years ago and I was fortunate enough that some of those "evil 1%'ers" gave me jobs and allowed me to share in their prosperity. I'm not "rich" by any means but I am comfortable enough that I retired at 60 and my Wife retired at 55, 1 year before I did. I was an Industrial Maintenance Machinist and the Wife was a cake decorator for one of the local Kroger stores. We're just ppl that worked with our hands and minds but we did have a retirement plan and we worked that also. Retirement is good but doesn't pay as well as a regular job, hey! ;-) I do some computer repair from time to time now and the Wife runs a few online business to supplement our retirement income. What work we do is here at home so that makes it nice.

Good shot on the S9. Like mine very much. Could have another if a bad company would ever send me a good one. Two bad ones from them so far.

I got lucky I guess as the first S9 I got came from another member on here and it was in "like new" condition when I got it. The one coming from Amazon was $10 cheaper than the first I bought. I like having similar brands as that way the channel lists are interchangeable between the two, ie, My AZBoxes use the exact same channel list and so will the S9s. K. I. S. S. applies here as it's much easier to keep both systems up to date.

Go F-A-S-T, but be as safe as you can with that sport.

I've been crossed up at over 125 MPH a couple of times and that is the reason the Camaro is parked now and is for sale. I figured that the law of averages would catch up to me sooner or later and it was time to get out of that 106" wheelbase car and into something more stable at speed, hence the 225" wheelbase dragster. If one of these things gets crossed up, you will have done something really stupid with the steering wheel! Right now I'm done for the year but will resume tuning and testing next spring in hopes of running some 4.80s @ 142 MPH. I just love going fast and always have. That dragster will cover the first 60 feet of a run in 1.12 seconds and that is a real rush!

The Wife and I did some retirement planning about 15 years ago...
Never had a wife that worked. Come to think of it, never had a wife. Ok job, nothing professional, so you have to go without all your life to have anything when you retire. Then those rich bastards in Washington screw up the country and it all comes to an end. Oh, well, that is water over the dam.
.....I just love going fast and always have. That dragster will cover the first 60 feet of a run in 1.12 seconds and that is a real rush!
I know just what you need. To be blased off an aircraft carrier in a modern fighter jet! I think that would be fun!:eek:
Enjoy your S9.

Can't imagine what life would be like without my soul mate. I'm very lucky that I found mine and she has worked as hard as I have to get us where we are today. If I had never found her, I'd probably have to work till I croaked also as I'd have pissed away a fortune on booze, drugs and whores and not necessarily in that order. ;-)

Cheers!

Actually I've got another hobby that is MUCH more addictive and MUCH more expensive than the satellite stuff. ...It's the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on! ;-)

So you are a drag queen?!?!?!... :drama:

:eek: :eek: :p

Seriously, your dragster hobby is too much for me!

Went 140mph once. ONCE!~I wasn't driving either. Back when I first started work as a police dispatcher, used to ride around some to learn the territory. Back when they made real Ford LTDs and Custom 500s with a real police package and engine. My 140mph short trip was on an interstate , with an experienced state trooper, so it didn't scare me too much. But I really didn't want to go that fast again, lol. I do still like roller coasters though.

I do still like roller coasters though.

Yeah! Me too!

I guess you can say that I do enjoy a dragster. At Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio they have the Top Thrill Dragster coaster.That thing goes from 0 to 120 mph in 3.8 seconds, shoots you up a 420 foot hill and back down and it is only a 17 second ride!
It seems kind of crazy now that I think about it to wait in line for 2 hours to ride a ride that lasts only 17 seconds! :facepalm

I had my '84 Monte Carlo rock & rollin at at 130 mph on I-5 once. That was a scary ride. I've invested about $6,000.00 into this 350 motor since the early 90's. Where has it got me? About $700.00 in tickets, expensive av gas and about 8 miles to the gallon. But on the other hand, the rappetty rumble sound & the ability to set off car alarms within a 100 feet makes it worth driving once in a while.
My other car is a '71 Torino station wagon but it only has 250 horses with a custom installed 4 speed with 2.75 gears. That car is my weekend family car & with the tall gears, I get 20 mph.

I wonder how much horse power my dish mover has?

That engine in my dragster is a small block Chevy engine that is making around 800HP and is normally aspirated, ie, no power adders. It runs methanol fuel during the hot months but spring and fall I switch over to C12 (112 octane) race gas to help get heat in the engine. That engine has been in 3 different cars over the years and she's been rebuilt and freshened up a couple of times since I originally bought that BowTie block back in 1995. If that one ever blows up, then I'll have to revert to the pump gas spare I have that won't run near this fast. I figure I've only got about 4 or 5 more years left so I'm going to enjoy it while I can!

Oh, and I've got a SuperJack dish mover that is much faster than the VonWeise on the other dish! ;-)

UPDATE! And some questions?:confused:

Got my new toy today and went ahead and connected it up on my 10ft Winegard system to see how it did. First thing I noticed is that the remote has the "Exit" and "Menu" buttons in a different place than my other S9 remote?? So I'm going to have to get use to that difference between the bedroom and the shop systems :mad: but hey, so far everything is working just the same!:D

So I loaded the Skybox firmware and channel list from my other S9 on to this one and proceeded to go to 137W to do some checking. First I checked to see if the stuff was there from my 7.5 ft SAMI system, and it was and then I deleted ALL 12 channels/3 TPs and did an "accurate" blind scan. Good news, bad news. Good news is that on those 3 TPs I got 32 channels, which is 20 more than I had from the scans done on the SAMI. Bad news is that 20 of those channels come up as "no signal" when I try to go to them now?? :mad: That TP is 4159/29125H and when I go into the setup menu that TP has Q running wild from like 60 to 75%?? WTF??:confused:

So does anyone else have that problem with that TP on 137W?? :confused:

Oh, and that TP shows up on my other S9 on the SAMI but I get zero on that TP when I scan it.

I manually added the TP with your info and get nothing. But I did not blindscan. I'm in California and have 20 channels on that sat. Openbox S9 and I have too many free channels to watch now...

......First thing I noticed is that the remote has the "Exit" and "Menu" buttons in a different place than my other S9 remote?? So I'm going to have to get use to that difference between the bedroom and the shop systems :mad: but hey, so far everything is working just the same!
Yup! Got one like that also. Call it an "update.":rolleyes:

UPDATE! And some questions?:confused:

Bad news is that 20 of those channels come up as "no signal" when I try to go to them now?? :mad: That TP is 4159/29125H and when I go into the setup menu that TP has Q running wild from like 60 to 75%?? WTF??:confused:

So does anyone else have that problem with that TP on 137W?? :confused:

Oh, and that TP shows up on my other S9 on the SAMI but I get zero on that TP when I scan it.

Try manually shifting the freq. around from 4155 to 4165. See if that helps.

Hey gunman , if its not too much trouble to answer, what does the openbox do that the azboxes you have won't do? I haven't kept up with all the details of these things lately, but I thought those azboxes were able to do everything, including the s2 and even 4.2.2 video. Or some models of the azbox do everything, and some don't?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts