We're Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee don't make many posts here, but had one today and then when I tried to log on it timed out!! Glad everything is back to somewhat normal now....

Glad we are back! I also was going through withdrawals!

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I just tried the AVS app again and this time it showed a message noting the power outage and that the site had sustained hardware damage.
Scott. Everything thing ok hardware wise here?

Everything fine here. (Phew!)

I was worried as the servers were powered down for almost 8 hours and was scared they wouldn't power up again... these servers have run 24/7 for years... was worried to long cool down might do something to them. :)

Here is the message at AVSForum.

Due to a power failure at the Network Operation Center (NOC) in Texas that AVSForum has it servers at, we have sustained some hardware failures. The NOC power system had a grid failure that took out thousands of sites and servers. Once power was restored, 7 hours later, we had unfortunately sustained some hardware damage. It is currently being worked on and we will get back on line as soon as we can. Sorry for this VERY UNEXPECTED outage.

Thank you, AVS Forum.com

I was starting to think this affected all vBulletin powered sites earlier lol.

What a coincidence that a bunch of these types of sites are all co-located at the same place!

I know all too much about power issues. Been there. Not fun at all.

Seems the switch over to generator needs some work there. Guess the engineers are getting their butts spanked for this one. You'd think they would have done some power outage drills to see what breaks. Years ago I built a 50KW generating plant to handle power outage during critical runs in the chemical plant I managed. We did monthly drills to test the system. Today, I have a back up home generator and I test it every 3 months. About once a year I find trouble that needs fixed. Usually it's a carburetor cleaning.

They test it all the time actually, for some reason the switch fused itself when it was trying to flip to generator power.

Yes thank you to the folks from SonicBabble.COM for having us while the site was down. :)

Most welcome. Gonna move the temporary forum to the archives for now, but it can be reactivated any time you guys have issues (which is rare). Glad its back up!

I see AV Forums is also back on line this morning.

Hello...

Due to a power failure at the Network Operation Center (NOC) in Texas that AVSForum has it servers at, we were out and then sustained some hardware failures.

The NOC power system had a grid failure at around Noon CT on 8/10/11 that took out thousands of sites and servers. Once power was restored, 7 hours later, we had unfortunately sustained some hardware damage.

The hardware was repaired and we are again on-line.

We have checked and are not aware of any database issues. If you should receive any database error messages, PLEASE contact AVSForum with the error message.

Sorry for the VERY UNEXPECTED outage.

One scarry thing is that we will be down again and have to go through this again once the permanent fix comes in.

So once again we will have to hope that the systems come up fine when that happens.

I was getting the cold sweats yesterday. starting convulsing as well. :eek:

More rolling blackouts expected in the Dallas-Fort Worth area...40+ consecutive days over 100 and counting. I get the feeling a number of sites may consider hosting an alternate "hot swappable" site.

Missed all the fun yesterday. I had presentations all day and was at the er with mom. Did not go to sleep until past midnight.

Sent from my LG-P999 using SatelliteGuys

Missed all the fun yesterday. I had presentations all day and was at the er with mom. Did not go to sleep until past midnight.

Sent from my LG-P999 using SatelliteGuys

I hope your mom is ok.

You didn't miss any fun -- just a sense of emptiness as the click on the icon for satguys kept saying "Sending Request..." :)

Sean hope your mom is doing ok.

The worst part of yesterday was people calling me telling me they are mad at me for not replying to their emails they sent that the site is down... (Actually I thought that was funny.) :D

I was going to send you one, but I figured you would just ignore it anyways! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts