What happened to being the HD leader?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Bottom line if D* didn't blurt out we are going to carry 11 HBO and Cinemax channels in HD, Well I doubt we would be having this conversation. Instead you got 30 PPV in HD, Sorry 12 Real HD PPV choices.

Thats true.

Maybe you guys haven't thought of the obvious. If D12 blows up or somehow becomes unusable then they don't have a whole lot of bandwidth left to work with now do they. So why go crazy now and fill up what they have and then 6 months from now end up in a pickle and can't add any more channels at all? One would think that if D12 is a goner that they would much rather spend their bandwidth on channels other then 8 different HBO repeat channels. So why not pick and choose carefully which channels to add for the next 6-9 months, ones you *have* to add due to contract, get D12 up and running and then in the fall they can come in with a bang and add a whole bunch.

The threat of D11 blowing up on launch didn't stop D* from filling up D10 before D11 launched. D10 was full before D11 was airborne. So I don't believe the fact that D12 could blow up has anything to do with not using all of the capacity they have now. It didn't stop them before.

Last edited:
D*will have Soccer channel HD, T-Ball HD,Shotput HD before they add another premium HD channel.
:p
I realize you were being somewhat sarcastic, but there is some truth in there.

I do have ask though, has it worked for Direct? It seems that there are many more subs that have gone to Direct simply because of sports than would have gone because of premiums that most of the other providers provide anyway.

See but your talking about a povider that is available in 99% of the USA. 18 million isn't that impressive 2 million of it is from NFLST. So take that away and you got 16 Million subscribers. Yes thats great. But Comcast isn't available all over the USA, and they have almost 10 Million more subscribers. They don't have half the HD sports D* has. So why do you think D* trails? Because they put 80% of there business on sports. 20% on the rest.

Bottom line if D* didn't blurt out we are going to carry 11 HBO and Cinemax channels in HD, Well I doubt we would be having this conversation. Instead you got 30 PPV in HD, Sorry 12 Real HD PPV choices.

Or...if they used the same mechanism to announce they have changed their minds and are not going to add those channels, then at least they are being forthright with their customers. It is now completely understandable why they don't release information about future plans. They should have stuck to that rule with regards to the HBO suite. Talk is cheap....really cheap. All they have to do is add a small paragraph in an e-mail or their web site letting us know that it is or isn't coming and we could move on and it wouldn't cost them a penny to let us know.

Look at E*. They have almost 14 million. And they rip programming out from under peoples noses and Offer barely any sports packs, and directv has a 2 year head start. So yes maybe sports packs work for D* , But why doesn't D* have about 30 million customers? Why is Fios growing so fast and they are available in only like 30 citys? Not because of sports packs.

Yes, they are technically available to the entire country (heck, Dish and Direct are really the only two national companies in this), but there are MANY places that can not get sat service for whatever reason. Where they live may not have a southern view, it may not be clear, the landlord may not allow dishes, they may live in a high rise without a place to mount, ect. Many of these reasons would be valid in big cities, and thats where the bulk of subs are.

Yes, they are technically available to the entire country (heck, Dish and Direct are really the only two national companies in this), but there are MANY places that can not get sat service for whatever reason. Where they live may not have a southern view, it may not be clear, the landlord may not allow dishes, they may live in a high rise without a place to mount, ect. Many of these reasons would be valid in big cities, and thats where the bulk of subs are.
Is comcast available in NY city? Last I checked Nope! CableVision is. So Where does Cosmcast get all its customers from?

Yea , D* makes that known Loud and Clear.:)

Kudos to D for that also.

Last thing I want added, are more bandwidth wasting premiums that repeat the same movies incessantly, that have already been shown in a theater, made available on PPV, been released on DVD and run ad nauseam on Premium Channels(fill in the blank) 1-7.

And yes I subscribe to the premium pack and don't use the PPV channels at all.

1-800-netflix

Kudos to D for that also.

Last thing I want added, are more bandwidth wasting premiums that repeat the same movies incessantly, that have already been shown in a theater, made available on PPV, been released on DVD and run ad nauseam on Premium Channels(fill in the blank) 1-7.

1-800-netflix
PPV is repeating Right? RSN are repeating, mirrored, Right? What about national channels??? repeats Yep! And you have D* premiums , They have nothing but East and West Premiums so with D* you will see more repeats then any other provider.

Many people don't subscribe to satellite television because they either can't have or don't want to have a dish hanging from the side of their dwelling. They also don't have it because of the rumors and myths that cable have spread about the reliablity of satellite service. One more reason is that cable companies now have the ability of bundling service that sat co's just don't have. Many cable co's give you phone, tv, and internet under $100; this is hard for D* or E* to compete with. Never mind the 15 year head start that cable has on satellite.

So if you wonder why they are lagging in subscribers, maybe these reasons will help you understand. I agree that we all want more HD choices, especially our premium HD's, but most of the country isn't even HD capable, so what makes you think they care about premi's.

Many people don't subscribe to satellite television because they either can't have or don't want to have a dish hanging from the side of their dwelling. They also don't have it because of the rumors and myths that cable have spread about the reliablity of satellite service. One more reason is that cable companies now have the ability of bundling service that sat co's just don't have. Many cable co's give you phone, tv, and internet under $100; this is hard for D* or E* to compete with. Never mind the 15 year head start that cable has on satellite. .
Exactly so Sports packs aren't helping either. Cause you still need those ugly unreliable dish systems hanging off your house to get them too.:D (Joke By the way)
Don't for get about C-Band. They have been around quite awhile before D* was.
Cable may have had a head start, But their are still Millions of homes that can't get cable.

Is comcast available in NY city? Last I checked Nope! CableVision is. So Where does Cosmcast get all its customers from?

I am sure they have coverage in enough large/medium cities to get coverage and subs. Not sure where exactly they are available, I know they are in most of the main cities here (all two of em:D)

Exactly so Sports packs aren't helping either. Cause you still need those ugly unreliable dish systems hanging off your house to get them too.:D (Joke By the way)

I agree with you here. Thats a choice, not a restriction

Whats the Benift of having the premier pack with D* if you don't Like Premiums?. You don't get Free DVR or HD with it! Why wouldn't you just get HD/DVR pack Or Chioce Extra and the $12 Sports pack if you Like RSNs. You could pay $70-$85 instead of $105-$121 for Premiums you don't like because of repeats.

I am sure they have coverage in enough large/medium cities to get coverage and subs. Not sure where exactly they are available, I know they are in most of the main cities here (all two of em:D)
There are so many Cable companys Ones we don't even hear a Peep about . Stealing the customers everyday because of choices offered. I think instead of focussing on one certain area to the Max. They need to start spreading it around. I'm not sure what E* thinks , But they need to start Offering something . They don't lead really in anything good. HD Only Packs,and High Marks on equipment. But you got to have more then that. IMO.

Whats the Benift of having the premier pack with D* if you don't Like Premiums?. You don't get Free DVR or HD with it! Why wouldn't you just get HD/DVR pack Or Chioce Extra and the $12 Sports pack if you Like RSNs. You could pay $70-$85 instead of $105-$121 for Premiums you don't like because of repeats.

I've had premium since it's inception.

Didn't say anything about not watching the premiums, I watch them fairly regularly and Wife watches them more than I do.

There are some good blocks of original programming on several of the premium services. Sadly nothing as good as the Larry Sanders Show(I digress) but still some nice choices.

If there is a movie that the wife or myself wants to watch we just usually DVR it, watch it and then delete.

I just don' t see the need for HBO Ocho nor Cinemax Four that repeat endlessly.

If you do that's fine, not trying to change any minds just saying I'm glad D has not added any premiums in HD. Too many other things I would like to see long before they go that route.

My order of preferences would be along this line of procession:

1.Everybody's locals in HD.

2.Networks like Travel, AMC, ESPNU and other Nets not currently available in HD.

3.SD only networks not currently available.

Way down that list sitting in last by a large margin

More premiums in HD.

JMO. Not trying to flame.

Last edited:
I've had premium since it's inception.

Didn't say anything about not watching the premiums, I watch them fairly regularly and Wife watches them more than I do.

There are some good blocks of original programming on several of the premium services. Sadly nothing as good as the Larry Sanders Show(I digress) but still some nice choices.

If there is a movie that the wife or myself wants to watch we just usually DVR it, watch it and then delete.

I just don' t see the need for HBO Ocho nor Cinemax Four that repeat endlessly.

If you do that's fine, not trying to change any minds just saying I'm glad D has not added any premiums in HD. Too many other things I would like to see long before they go that route.

My order of preferences would be along this line of procession:

1.Everybody's locals in HD.

2.Networks like Travel, AMC, ESPNU and other Nets not currently available in HD.

3.SD only networks not currently available.

Way down that list sitting in last by a large margin

More premiums in HD.

JMO. Not trying to flame.
I Know your not flaming.:)
So Why doesn't D* have Travel HD?
But If I was a Premium subscriber, I would want as much of them in HD as possible since I'm paying good money for it. I'd rather enjoy 2 or 3 more HD Premiums then 30 PPV's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)