What if I just want Sunday Ticket?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

more cowbell

Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
germantown, md
I am having a new house built. The house is being prewired for Fios, but will cost me $280 per outlet to upgrade to Direct Tv package(2 coax and phone line)

Since I live outside my teams home market I would like to get Sunday ticket, but would like Fios in the rest of the house.

What I would like to do is find the most economical way of getting the HD service for Sunday Ticket on one tv and use Fios for everything else. I would like to avoid signing a 2 year contract and paying for the service the rest of the year.

Is there any way to purchase the Dish and HD DVR and only pay for Sunday ticket and the service during the season? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Thank you for the quick responses.

I guess I can assume form you answers that is no way to not sign a two year contract. I have no problem buying the dish and receiver, or paying for the direct tv service during the season, I was just hoping to be able to shut it off the rest of the year, and turn it on again next season.

Thanks again.

Where is the advantage to Directv to have you as a 4 Mo. customer? With 24 Mo. contract they have you for 6 times as long.

I would think advantage for them would be that I would pay for all of the equipment and installation myself. I always assumed the 2 year contract was for them to recoup the cost of the equipment and installation.

I guess I was wrong.

I'd call directv and talk to them about it. Some people have carried service from August to Janurary, suspended until the six months is up, then restart.

The problem with that is it would take 4 years to work through your contract.

They may offer no contract if you pay in full for the equip / install, but it would be expensive. If you did that and odn't want HD you could buy cheap SD equip, if you do want HD there is no cheap option to buy equipment, all the prices you see ($100/200) are lease fees.

Are we 100% sure you can't get NFL on the family package? That would get the base down to $30/mo? Again, I'd call and ask, they'll want your money, thus they'll work with you.

Are we 100% sure you can't get NFL on the family package? That would get the base down to $30/mo? Again, I'd call and ask, they'll want your money, thus they'll work with you.
I'm 95 % sure NFL Sunday Ticket can be had with the Family pack. 24 month commitments now require only Family pack, Not Choice anymore!

Hmm, that is possible.
I admit, I only meant that he had to have a subscription and he could not get it by itself.

I always thought it was choice but I could be wrong
It used to be , But now Family Pack is all thats required.
When Total Choice ,was only $39.99 that was the Minimum package requirement for a commitment.
But now that Choice is $56 per month, It would be hard to get customers to commit to that for 2 years.
E* used to be Classic 100 or HD only packs, for HD equipment leases, But now they have also changed the minimum requirement to Dish Family.
The downside to both , Is D* with HD Equipment leases now requires HD access, and DVR service is also required if you have a leased DVR. You can't drop these services unless you surrender your DVR or HD equipment.
E* Charges an HD enabling fee for HD Equipment leases if you choose not to subscribe to HD
Also DVR fees are required with DVR leases, Unless you subscribe to a DVR package , or AEP.

To make a long story short, If you have DVR or HD receivers, The E* and D* Family packages aren't as cheap as they are made out to be.

Directvs $29.99 Family Pack, with a leased HD DVR, Still cost
$45 per month

Dish Networks $19.99 Dish Family pack with a leased HD DVR
$32.99 with HD locals only
Or $35 for Turbo Bronze with DVR.

Last edited:
What about with just an international channel package ?
Not sure about that one. But I doubt it, since only English and Spanish base packages are available on the Slimline. International programming requires a completely different satellite dish.
And Jade world isn't a base package,so you can count that out.

Actually DISH did away with the hd enabling fee a few months back. You no longer have to have hd on your hd receiver or pay 5.00 not to have it. They are now only installing mpeg 4 capapable receivers on eastern arc and western arc new installs.

I'd call directv and talk to them about it. Some people have carried service from August to Janurary, suspended until the six months is up, then restart.

The problem with that is it would take 4 years to work through your contract.

They may offer no contract if you pay in full for the equip / install, but it would be expensive. If you did that and odn't want HD you could buy cheap SD equip, if you do want HD there is no cheap option to buy equipment, all the prices you see ($100/200) are lease fees.

yes you can i have it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts