What if there really is not a tablet market? Only an iPad market?

Don Landis said:
Now, I just have to convince you to start securing your future with a little Apple Roth.

Steve- iphone is not for me either. I have the Thunderbolt. But if you want to talk iOS on ipad vs, Android on that 7" thing from Samsung or overpriced one from Motorola, well, that's a whole different experience from the iphone. ipad just works without thinking about it.

Don, I am two steps ahead of you, put a few grand into thevfruit this spring, and made a nice profit so far. :)

And you are wasting your time trying to convince Mehs on the virtues of iOS tablet. As the post above mine shows, that ship has sailed.... :D.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

So far the tablet market literally is all about the iPad. None of the current or past touch pad devices have done anything in the market. The Xoom, which had the potential of being a real contender, fizzled at the gate. The current ones are not selling.

So is iOS great? I don't know, but the consumer seems to think it is the best of the bunch at the moment.

The simple fact is that the apps available for the iPad are better than the alternatives. Where there are iOS and Android versions of the same apps, the iPad ones are more complete, more features, run better. Same is true with some of iPhone vs Android apps (compare Facebook and Foursquare on both platforms, for example). Add to that there are a ton more to choose, solid tools for productivity (PDF annotation for example) coupled with syncing via Dropbox and WebDav on the iPad, and you have the total package.

It is a great reader for magazine and newspapers. The Zinio magazine reader is excellent; the Wired iPad app provides a version of the magazine that it was ALWAYS supposed to be. No need for paper. Full powered spreadsheets and word processors -- and even presentations; with both Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Quick Office HD. Note taking apps that are stellar (i.e., UPAD and Note taker HD among some of the better ones).

I am not a gamer, but the choices are excellent. I love Galaga 30th Anniversary; Easy Sudoku; the Angry Birds stuff; but I really don't do a lot of games, but I know there are a ton of options.

Yeah, it does not have widgets. And I wish I could have a screen running pure calendar widget, but by itself, its not a deal breaker. And I have mostly eliminated the vast majority of widgets on my Droid X; they don't add anything; and they suck up resources. On the droid I have a brightness widget. On the iPad, I use a three finger gesture, swipe, and can change brightness easily. I want to multi-task, I swipe to the right or left; I want to go to the home screen, I five finger pinch. Its brilliant.

I can sync wirelessly to itunes to do a backup; can buy music (AND a LOT of music) from itunes on the iPad; the video quality of the video player just rocks. I don't have to take a video and convert it on a PC before I can play it on the tablet; and Netflix works perfectly on the iPad. Add to that airplay. Any video on the screen can be instantly mirrored to my HDTV via AppleTV.

The iPad is the complete package. It just works; and it just works extremely well.

But I have posted all of this before, and not sure what the point is in trying to rehash it, given your hatred for iOS.

Don, I am two steps ahead of you, put a few grand into thevfruit this spring, and made a nice profit so far.

Very pleased to hear that! I want all my friends to do well on such a sure thing. I only trade 20% of my position in Apple these days. When Jobs finally retires full time, I see no reason to fear and want to be in a good position to buy more during the pull back. Cook is doing a great job running Apple in Job's lesser role. Future for Apple ipad is the enterprise market. Then Apple needs to build a social network to have the full package. Jim Cramer is strongly suggesting Apple buys Twitter for cash. Can you envision an ipad/iphone/ipod social network exclusive to Apple? What a catalyst to earnings that would be. His prediction if that comes to pass is a $700 stock. Get ready to pay off your house, Mike. :)

Very pleased to hear that! I want all my friends to do well on such a sure thing. I only trade 20% of my position in Apple these days. When Jobs finally retires full time, I see no reason to fear and want to be in a good position to buy more during the pull back. Cook is doing a great job running Apple in Job's lesser role. Future for Apple ipad is the enterprise market. Then Apple needs to build a social network to have the full package. Jim Cramer is strongly suggesting Apple buys Twitter for cash. Can you envision an ipad/iphone/ipod social network exclusive to Apple? What a catalyst to earnings that would be. His prediction if that comes to pass is a $700 stock. Get ready to pay off your house, Mike. :)

Of course the stock is now going for more than $125 more than what I paid for it initially. Definitely wishing I had more cash to put into it at the time. :)

But back to the thread topic, What tablet out there stands a serious chance of competing with the iPad? Maybe the still unreleased Amazon one? If only because it is from Amazon and can draw on a huge customer base?

But the iPad still runs iOS, which I'm sorry, is just one sh!tty mobile operating system for anything and everything. It lacks features, lacks customizability and end user control. iPhone, iPad, Pod Touch, they’re all basically the same thing to me. Walled garden devices that are designed to restrict what you can do on a device that you paid good money for.

One thing I could never comprehend with iOS on the iPhone, and I would assume it’s like this on the iPad as well, why am I limited to only four icons in the dock? Why? What if I want five icons down there, which can comfortably fit? Why do I need to jailbreak for something as stupid as that? Why can’t Apple allow me to put give icons in the dock out of the box? Why does Lord Jobs need that much control over what users can and cannot do? What harm would allowing five icons do?

Not every device will appeal to everyone. Given the current tablet market dominance by the iPad suggests though that what you find confining and limiting is acceptable to most people.

I would venture to say that the majority of buyers do not want to customize anything. They simply want to use the device and have its setup and usage be as simple as possible. They do not have the time (and in many cases the technical knowledge) to mess with it. This is the strong point of a walled garden. It is all pretty much tested and working, allowing the users to just use the device and ignore any shortcomings.

That is not to say that there is not a significant market of people (that you appear to be in) that love to customize and to extract every bit of use out of their device. I would say that unless you go the jailbreak route, the iOS is just never going to satisfy this market.

I would say that I used to be in the customize group. I used to work on my PC all the time tweaking everything. But, over time the features and usability came up to the point where I no longer really have to do anything anymore. The same with the iPhone. It pretty much does everything I want, so I do not bother with it any more. The only thing I have been tempted with is a jailbreak for tethering. But, with my business paying for a mifi device, I have not had any real need for that either. Maybe they have finally worn me down to the point where I accept it.

The simple fact is that the apps available for the iPad are better than the alternatives. Where there are iOS and Android versions of the same apps, the iPad ones are more complete, more features, run better. Same is true with some of iPhone vs Android apps (compare Facebook and Foursquare on both platforms, for example). Add to that there are a ton more to choose, solid tools for productivity (PDF annotation for example) coupled with syncing via Dropbox and WebDav on the iPad, and you have the total package.

That really has nothing to do with iOS, but rather app developers. Once more apps are written for Android tablets, they will be just like the iPad. And I have to seriously disagree about iPhone apps being better than their Android counterparts. I went from the iPhone one day to Android then next, and with exception of ESPN ScoreCenter, which is now just as good, every single app I had on the iPhone works just as good as on my Android phone as it did the iPhone. I can’t speak for nonsense like Facebook or Four Square as I don’t participate in that junk. I have no desire to collect ‘friends’ and let them know what I’m thinking about every second of the day and I have no desire to be the ‘mayor’ of a restaurant or venue.

It is a great reader for magazine and newspapers. The Zinio magazine reader is excellent; the Wired iPad app provides a version of the magazine that it was ALWAYS supposed to be. No need for paper. Full powered spreadsheets and word processors -- and even presentations; with both Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Quick Office HD. Note taking apps that are stellar (i.e., UPAD and Note taker HD among some of the better ones).
I can’t comment on electronic magazines, but for note taking you really can’t beat what HTC has done with the Flyer and Evo View.

I am not a gamer, but the choices are excellent. I love Galaga 30th Anniversary; Easy Sudoku; the Angry Birds stuff; but I really don't do a lot of games, but I know there are a ton of options.

You can download games for these things? I had Blackjack and a Bubble Wrap game on the iPhone, and now an Air Hockey game on the tablet. That’s as much gaming as I’ve done on these things. I did install Angry Birds for five minutes to see what the fuss was about, after I can to the conclusion it’s a waste of time, I removed it.
Yeah, it does not have widgets. And I wish I could have a screen running pure calendar widget, but by itself, its not a deal breaker. And I have mostly eliminated the vast majority of widgets on my Droid X; they don't add anything; and they suck up resources. On the droid I have a brightness widget. On the iPad, I use a three finger gesture, swipe, and can change brightness easily. I want to multi-task, I swipe to the right or left; I want to go to the home screen, I five finger pinch. Its brilliant.

Your phone must do a poor job of managing resources then. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a difference with or without widgets. I run nearly 25 individual widgets on both the phone and tablet. The only thing that ever slowed my original Evo down was live wallpaper. Live wallpaper runs beautifully on the 3D, but hiccups every once in a while on the tablet which is disappointing for a 1.5 GHz processor, but I don’t use Live wallpaper all the time.

To say Widgets don’t really add anything is your Apple Fanboyism talking. Seriously, they don’t add anything? I couldn’t live without the ESPN ScoreCenter, Winamp and Pandora widgets. They make interfacing with your device so much easier. I wish more of the apps I use a lot had widgets like the Fox News App, Sirius XM app and the Verizon NFL app. And I wish the Google Music widget displayed album art.

I can sync wirelessly to itunes to do a backup; can buy music (AND a LOT of music) from itunes on the iPad; the video quality of the video player just rocks. I don't have to take a video and convert it on a PC before I can play it on the tablet; and Netflix works perfectly on the iPad. Add to that airplay. Any video on the screen can be instantly mirrored to my HDTV via AppleTV.

I can sync wirelessly to Winamp to copy media, all contacts, messages and whatnot are backed up to Google (a lot better than using that clunky junky iTunes thing), I can buy music from the Amazon MP3 store. The video quality of my phone outshines the iPhone, and my tablet is pretty impressive as well. Netflix worked perfectly on both my Android devices, the app wasn’t officially in the Market for my phone and tablet so I just downloaded the APK from XDA and it worked perfectly until I canceled the service because Netflix streaming blows chunks.

The iPad is the complete package. It just works; and it just works extremely well.

I can say the same for my Android tablet. I would like to see how much better it is when Honeycomb gets released for it, and experiment with some more tablet specific apps. Right now, the only app at all I could care about that’s on Apples App Store but not in the Android Market is Time Warner’s app. But from what I’ve gathered that has more to do with content providers wanting to make sure their content is secure and since Android is so easily hackable TW has to do some extra work on the Android version of the app. Their latest reversion of the iPad app does not work on Jailbroken iPads.

That really has nothing to do with iOS, but rather app developers. Once more apps are written for Android tablets, they will be just like the iPad. And I have to seriously disagree about iPhone apps being better than their Android counterparts. I went from the iPhone one day to Android then next, and with exception of ESPN ScoreCenter, which is now just as good, every single app I had on the iPhone works just as good as on my Android phone as it did the iPhone. I can’t speak for nonsense like Facebook or Four Square as I don’t participate in that junk. I have no desire to collect ‘friends’ and let them know what I’m thinking about every second of the day and I have no desire to be the ‘mayor’ of a restaurant or venue.

I 100% agree with your statement about it being more the app developers and not the OS but 100% disagree that Android Apps are up to par with the iOS counterparts. I have and Android phone, Wife's iPhone and an iPad and there are many applications that are written for both platforms and the iOS version seems much more polished and refined than the Android one. Do they all work, yes but the iPhone and iPad version just look and feel like there was more effort put into their development.

I would say the same as most here.
In saying that I dont mean that the android counterparts are bad in those cases, just that the iOS versions seem more polished.

Android OS can do more and gas more APP options. iOS is better with the APPs they have.

Sent from my Samgung GALAXY tablet using SatelliteGuys

Android OS can do more and gas more APP options. iOS is better with the APPs they have.

Sent from my Samgung GALAXY tablet using SatelliteGuys

If Android has more gas, I might just decide to get rid of my phone. ;)

If I understand what you were trying to say is Android has more app options? If so I disagree with that. Only thing Andriod has going for it is the user customizable interface.

JAG72 said:
If Android has more gas, I might just decide to get rid of my phone. ;)

If I understand what you were trying to say is Android has more app options? If so I disagree with that. Only thing Andriod has going for it is the user customizable interface.

LOL

I guess I can say that it is easier to type on the iPad as well. LOL

There are more APPs on Android, particularly outside their market

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

There is an article in today's WSJ on this thread topic. Can't link as it's in the pay part if their site. Title is 'Tablet War Is an Apple Rout'. Article say 28.7 million iPads sold and the competitors are sitting in warehouses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts