What if there really is not a tablet market? Only an iPad market?

Interesting how the same page reports that android tablet web usage barely registers on a global basis.
Maybe, just maybe, this is because the Android devices are used to do something useful as
opposed to browsing the web for confirmation that iPad is the synonym of a tablet...? :)

Diogen

Maybe, just maybe, this is because the Android devices are used to do something useful as
opposed to browsing the web for confirmation that iPad is the synonym of a tablet...? :)

Diogen

Funny guy - except of course, much of my work involves using the internet connection, and it has little to do with web browsing. :)

Short of Apple suing and winning ITC injunctions against every tablet manufacturer, I can't imagine
a reason why Apple's share of the tablet market would be much different than that of the PC market.
Or smartphone. In 2-3 years.

And even if they sue and win, it will most likely affect only the US market, that, although important,
is just a fraction of the world market.

And I don't think Apple/Microsoft/etc. can hold the world hostage with their patents for long...

Diogen.

diogen said:

Diogen

I have both tablets. After a short period of use with an Android tablet I can say that the iPad is much better when it comes to APPs and it is much easier to sync with your PC, especially contacts. The Android can do more things. No tablet can replace a computer though. I still use my computers more as tablets fall short on many features.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I just saw a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" in "the wild." Who knew? I don't think when I used my GTab 7 that I ever saw one in the wild. :D ;)

Short of Apple suing and winning ITC injunctions against every tablet manufacturer, I can't imagine
a reason why Apple's share of the tablet market would be much different than that of the PC market.
Or smartphone. In 2-3 years.
Diogen.

I can. Unless the mfgs of other tablets can get the selling prices down to something significantly lower than the iPads, Apple will continue to dominate this particular part of the tech market. So far, none of them have been able to do that without also being worse or missing some piece of the puzzle. The one possible change-up that I see is Amazon. They are good at what they do, back up their stuff with good support and price things aggressively.

Granted the source for this is Macrumors.com (although the stats are widely reported) but the stats are telling.

Apple sold 9.2 million iPads in the June quarter and Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer noted Apple is selling "every iPad we can make."

In contrast, Motorola Mobility shipped (not necessarily sold) 440,000 in the just ended quarter, and expects to sell 1.3 to 1.5 million tablets this year.

As Dan Frommer points out, Apple sells 1.5 million iPads every two weeks.

SOURCE: Apple's iPad Crushing Motorola's Xoom - Mac Rumors

1.5 Million iPads every 2 weeks. That is pretty impressive.

It's a nice device. I just can't picture carrying around something that big.

Thought the same thing for a year. Now it goes where ever I go. :)

Fascinating how the biggest fan boys are the converts who came kicking and screaming after suffering through the competition for a short period. :)

On my last 5 day trip, I used the ipad for everything except to empty my pop email box once. To date I do not have an easy way to archive and screen junk mail so I continue to drag my laptop along. Frankly I think the stock ipad email app sucks but it is good enough to do a quick read of a message if I can find it among all the junk. I'm sure there are apps that do it better but haven't taken the time to study it. Low on my things to do list. I'm most giddy how well my ipad works with wifi, either at hotels or with my Thunderbolt.

Fascinating how the biggest fan boys are the converts who came kicking and screaming after suffering through the competition for a short period. :)

I wouldn't say it was total suffering, just nowhere near as good of an experience as I get from the iPad. So if I ended up kneeling at the altar of St Jobs, so be it. :D

Totally 100% agree. After suffering through the iPhone and iOS for nearly a year and a half I can’t believe how great Android is and how appreciative I am that it exists. You really don’t know how crappy something is until you move along to something better. Once everything is in perspective you’re like ‘Damn I can’t believe I used that POS device for so long’.

Steve Mehs said:
Totally 100% agree. After suffering through the iPhone and iOS for nearly a year and a half I can’t believe how great Android is and how appreciative I am that it exists. You really don’t know how crappy something is until you move along to something better. Once everything is in perspective you’re like ‘Damn I can’t believe I used that POS device for so long’.

Yeah, you kind of missed Don's point. LOL. :D

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I wouldn't say it was total suffering, just nowhere near as good of an experience as I get from the iPad. So if I ended up kneeling at the altar of St Jobs, so be it. :D

Now, I just have to convince you to start securing your future with a little Apple Roth.

Steve- iphone is not for me either. I have the Thunderbolt. But if you want to talk iOS on ipad vs, Android on that 7" thing from Samsung or overpriced one from Motorola, well, that's a whole different experience from the iphone. ipad just works without thinking about it.

But the iPad still runs iOS, which I'm sorry, is just one sh!tty mobile operating system for anything and everything. It lacks features, lacks customizability and end user control. iPhone, iPad, Pod Touch, they’re all basically the same thing to me. Walled garden devices that are designed to restrict what you can do on a device that you paid good money for.

One thing I could never comprehend with iOS on the iPhone, and I would assume it’s like this on the iPad as well, why am I limited to only four icons in the dock? Why? What if I want five icons down there, which can comfortably fit? Why do I need to jailbreak for something as stupid as that? Why can’t Apple allow me to put give icons in the dock out of the box? Why does Lord Jobs need that much control over what users can and cannot do? What harm would allowing five icons do?

The iOS interface is pretty boring and the fact just in the past year or so it was able to do things like multitasking and app switching make me wonder what other features the competitors will come out with that Apple will lack for years to come.

I love my 7” Evo View tablet. Yeah, I’d take a bigger display, but the thing is just awesome. I love having widgets, and I love being able to actually customize the thing. I see no benefit in running iOS devices just a lot and I do mean A LOT of hindrances, I would not take an iPad if it was free, I have no desire to use such a terrible operating system. The Motorola Xoom is probably hands down the best tablet I’ve ever used. Nice display, awesome interface with Honeycomb, it just spanks the iPad. Where the iPad has the advantage is tablet specific apps. Once that gap closes, the only purpose the iPad will serve is the same purpose the iPhone has, nothing but a status symbol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)