What is dolby E audio

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wildboys

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
What is dolby E audio and how do you decode it?
I have ran across some Fta feeds that have the audio in dolby E.
How do you decode this type audio?

From Wikipedia said:
Dolby E is an audio encoding and decoding technology that allows up to 8.1 channels of audio to be compressed into a digital stream that can be stored on a standard stereo pair of audio tracks.

Anything up to a 5.1 mix can be recorded in 16-bit, however if anything more than 5.1 is requires the tape format must accept 20-bit audio.

It is very important to ensure that a Dolby E stream is never played through monitors without being decoded. The data stream produces a very loud digital noise that can easily blow your tweeters. Tape labeling is essential to avoid this.

I have seen some feeds in Dolby E, but I have not paid much attention to them, I think a PC DVB card decodes it but I am not sure, I am sure some one else will let you know.

I'm not aware of any PC dvb card that will decode Dolby E. Dolby E decoders cost around $4,000.

Dolby labs tightly controls the intellectual property rights to Dolby E. Therefore the only solution is a dolby E decoder which is officially licensed by dolby labs to do Dolby E decoding. These boxes cost anywhere from $4k upward and they have digital AES/EBU inputs through which the Dolby E is feed to them. Anyway, the dolby E decoder is the main piece of the puzzle, but you also need a receiver that has these digital audio outputs and is able to pass Dolby E out through them. This last point is important because some receivers have the digital audio outputs but cannot or do not pass Dolby E out through them. For example you'll find some DSR-4800s have these type of outputs but it's said the DSR-4800 is unable to passthrough Dolby E. So, even if you have a dolby E decoder you'll still need to get a receiver that can do Dolby E passthrough and these are also big time expensive. So for now and the foreseeable future Dolby E is pretty much a no go for hobbyist like us and will very likely remain that way becuase Dolby labs wants alot of money to license the technology and because it's not considered a consumer format probably wouldn't license it for any FTA product anyway, even if the manufacturer did come up with the cash.

Typically CBS uses Dolby E, what you can do if you want (depending if your a quality-addict as me) is record your local broadcast in HD for the same event that you are also recording off the satellite feed. Then strip the audio from the local broadcast and strip off the dolby E audio from the satellite feed. Next you need to put it back together.

Put it this way, it better be VERY important unless you are wasting a lot of time...

Why not just record the CBS HD distribution feed off satellite? I doubt there is any difference in video quality between the satellite backhaul and distribution feeds.

Why not just record the CBS HD distribution feed off satellite? I doubt there is any difference in video quality between the satellite backhaul and distribution feeds.
I was watching the PGA gollf championship in Tulsa.The HD wildfeed was 4.22 hd dolby E.It was be done by TNT not CBS.

I was watching the PGA gollf championship in Tulsa.The HD wildfeed was 4.22 hd dolby E.It was be done by TNT not CBS.

Sorry, I was responding to vfrjim's suggestion which dealt with CBS Dolby E feeds. Tonight I compared the CBS HD backhaul and the CBS HD distribution feed for the football game and both were running at around 38 Mbps.

The golf will be on both TNT and CBS on Saturday and Sunday.

Sorry, I was responding to vfrjim's suggestion which dealt with CBS Dolby E feeds. Tonight I compared the CBS HD backhaul and the CBS HD distribution feed for the football game and both were running at around 38 Mbps.

The golf will be on both TNT and CBS on Saturday and Sunday.

~38 Mbps v. 18 Mbps , definitely a difference

~38 Mbps v. 18 Mbps , definitely a difference

I think you missed my point. Why would anyone want to record the local OTA CBS HD broadcast at 18 Mbps. Strip out the audio and add it to the CBS HD backhaul satellite feed at 38 Mbps, when there is already a CBS HD satellite distribution feed that is running at 38 Mbps and includes audio? It seems like a lot of expense and work for no gain in video quality.

for no gain in video quality.

Did you watch the Grammy awards this year? Specifically the Red Hot Chilli Peppers video? It was MACROBLOCKING galore on the 18Mbps local broadcast feed when the confetti started dropping but in the FEED, it was nearly PERFECT! I know that there is limitations of what our local channels can broadcast, but for us privileged peeps with native feeds (as of now), enjoy them if you so desire it. Unfortunately, to get the receiver needed to pass the audio to an external Dolby E decoder costs $$$$$ and the decoder costs $$$$, so to do it live costs in the 4-8k range. But, unfortunately the delay of the local broadcast, prevents viewing off the mainfeed and using the audio decoded from the local OTA.

I'm in total agreement with you that the CBS HD satellite feeds have much better video than the local CBS HD OTA broadcasts. All I'm pointing out is that there is no need for a Dolby E decoder. You can get the best video quality with AC3 audio by recording the CBS HD satellite distribution feed.

CBS HD backhaul satellite feed: 38 Mbps video with Dobly E audio

CBS HD distribution satellite feed: 38 Mbps video with AC3 audio

Local CBS HD OTA broadcast: 18 Mbps video with AC3 audio

I'm in total agreement with you that the CBS HD satellite feeds have much better video than the local CBS HD OTA broadcasts. All I'm pointing out is that there is no need for a Dolby E decoder. You can get the best video quality with AC3 audio by recording the CBS HD satellite distribution feed.

But some events have nothing but Dolby E, then you are out of luck.

Typically if dolby E is in the mux, PCM usually is available, but that is about it. Then you use your AV receiver and create your own Dolby Surround.

PS: 38 Mbps looks fantastic on a 100" screen :)

Typically if dolby E is in the mux, PCM usually is available, but that is about it. Then you use your AV receiver and create your own Dolby Surround.

Dolby E looks like a LPCM stream to most software and equipment as the software and equipment cannot recognize it as Dolby E since it doesn't know how to deal with it. That's why software and some receivers identify it as PCM. Anyway, sending this "PCM" to your AV receiver, is not going to get you sound, or at least not the sound you want to hear, that is unless you've got a very special "AV receiver" that cost around $4k or more.

quality is just one thing. Some people likes to watch clean feed, no commercial during the break, that's when the fun usually happen.
Using audio from OTA with clean feed, one must deal with the lag time, 1-2 seconds...unless you have a way to buffer the video to make both video and audio synce.
Like the distribution will use Dolby E in future too. Dolby E is much much better than the lousy AC3, plus for the network, it's easier for them to deal with Dolby E than Dolby Digital.

I am not aware of any consumer receivers able to scan in Dolby E Pid.
You are correct, PCM in this case is not PCM...:)
So feed "PCM" out to a/v decoder does not work.
As stated before, very few commercial boxes are able to recognize Dolby, meaning able to scan Dolby Pids in and spit the stream out to external decoder, Wohler as an example.

Dolby E looks like a LPCM stream to most software and equipment as the software and equipment cannot recognize it as Dolby E since it doesn't know how to deal with it. That's why software and some receivers identify it as PCM. Anyway, sending this "PCM" to your AV receiver, is not going to get you sound, or at least not the sound you want to hear, that is unless you've got a very special "AV receiver" that cost around $4k or more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)