What is needed to swap 4K Joey for second (owned) H3?

david_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 7, 2007
Hancock, MA - The Berkshires
My current setup is 1 H3 and 2 4K Joeys. I have a EA dish with hybrid LNB, which feeds a hybrid solo hub in my basement. All Dish equipment is fed from the solo hub in the basement. I purchased a previously loved H3 from a SatelliteGuys member and I want to swap it in for one of the 4K Joeys that will swap out. What is the easiest path to this setup. I would like the H3's to be able to see each other's recordings. Is this something I can do myself by adding some hardware or is this an involved setup that will require a tech visit?

You would need to replace the Hub with a DPH42 switch (takes the satellite feeds, then gives you two usable DPH lines for 2 separate H3's), one line needs to go from the LNB to the switch per satellite (in your case, 2 lines, if there is only one cable going from your dish to the hub then you would need to run a second), then the 2 outputs from the Switch to each of the H3's (which you probably already have, so I would just make sure the coax run to the Joey is RG6). Lastly, you would need the power inserter at one of the hopper locations, which should not be a big deal. As far as interoperability, I suspect that you would be able to see the DVR of each as 2 separate libraries, but I do not know if the DPH42 filters MOCA or not, so hopefully someone else with this setup can confirm.

Reactions: david_jr and HipKat
So you are looking at adding a powered switch that is like 80-100bucks, possible second cable run from the dish to the basement and a call to Dish to activate, which they should do as long as the second H3 truly is purchased.

Edit: solidsignal seems to have DPH42's for $69 + shipping, and the power inserter needs to be placed behind whatever Hopper is connected to output #1 on the switch.

Reactions: TheKrell
AND I Just noticed that you have 2 4K Joey's, not one. Still not to complicated, just connect the Hub to output #2 on the DPH42, remove the Joey line that you want the new H3 to be on and connect that to output #1 of the DPH42, then place the power inserter along with the new H3 at the old Joey location and you're done.

AND I Just noticed that you have 2 4K Joey's, not one. Still not to complicated, just connect the Hub to output #2 on the DPH42, remove the Joey line that you want the new H3 to be on and connect that to output #1 of the DPH42, then place the power inserter along with the new H3 at the old Joey location and you're done.
You're close but slightly off. Up to the 42 Switch is as you say, but if he wants the Hoppers to see each other, he has to run the 2 outputs on the 42 Switch to a Hybrid Duo Hub, the 2 Host outputs on there to the Hoppers and the Client to the other 4K Joey and do not connect the new Hopper to your internet. The original Hopper should take care of that

You're close but slightly off. Up to the 42 Switch is as you say, but if he wants the Hoppers to see each other, he has to run the 2 outputs on the 42 Switch to a Hybrid Duo Hub, the 2 Host outputs on there to the Hoppers and the Client to the other 4K Joey and do not connect the new Hopper to your internet. The original Hopper should take care of that
Gotcha, just re-thought about it and the solo would block MOCA on the ODU port, would the DPH42 also block MOCA out? If not, the jank way to do it would be maybe a tap, but a duo hub would be more appropriate

Ok you mention a DPH42 switch and a power inserter. Dose the switch come with the inserter or is that something else that has to be purchased separately? So my current hybrid LNB is OK?

Ok you mention a DPH42 switch and a power inserter. Dose the switch come with the inserter or is that something else that has to be purchased separately? So my current hybrid LNB is OK?
The power inserter will come in the box most of the time unless you purchase the switch on ebay or something, since they are usually packed as pairs. And yes, Hybrid LNB's will work in DP/DPP mode if connected to a switch/DP receiver (I've gone as far as using a WA Hybrid on a 322 just for the giggles, and it worked with the separator which means DPP tech). The only caveat is that all Hybrid LNB's only have 2 outputs, which means only 2 satellites. Not a problem for EA, but a WA would only feed 119/110.

Reactions: david_jr
OK I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this. I already purchased the Hybrid Duo Hub and went to order the DPH 42 switch from Solid Signals, but their website AND the DPH42 Installation instructions say that the DPH 42 does not work with Hybrid LNB's. In bold:

• DOES NOT WORK with DISH Pro Hybrid LNBs. A standard DISH Western Arc or Eastern Arc LNB should be used instead

Sorry for the confusion but I just want to be sure before I spend $90 for the switch. I'm pretty sure they installed a hybrid LNB when I upgraded to H3. Thanks.

OK I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this. I already purchased the Hybrid Duo Hub and went to order the DPH 42 switch from Solid Signals, but their website AND the DPH42 Installation instructions say that the DPH 42 does not work with Hybrid LNB's. In bold:

• DOES NOT WORK with DISH Pro Hybrid LNBs. A standard DISH Western Arc or Eastern Arc LNB should be used instead

Sorry for the confusion but I just want to be sure before I spend $90 for the switch. I'm pretty sure they installed a hybrid LNB when I upgraded to H3. Thanks.
If I have the time (which I honestly may not, and my father is probably going to watch TV all day so don't want to piss the old man off because of my experiments), I can do this tomorrow afternoon. Reason being is that my DPH42 is currently installed with a DPP LNB, which is necessary for WA, but not for EA.

For now, ill hook up a DPP44 to a EA Hybrid LNB, just as a proof of concept because the DPP44 has the same "restrictions". Wont get reception either, just going to make sure the switch identifies the LNB. Brb in a few.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Here ya go, a EA Hybrid showing both of its LNB’s (denoted as HE.2, if you check diagnostics>dish[3]>details[6] on your H3 you should see the same plus the satellite currently received). Now, this makes me 99% confident that it will work, since the LNB is communicating to the DPP44 just fine (via DP retro-compatibility). I would still wait until someone that actually has this setup with the DPH42 confirms it works, or that I get around to mounting my tripod. Receiver is a deactivated Wally if that matters.

Attachments

• 48D57E7A-01A4-40EF-B7F1-FD35F7B82D2E.jpeg
    48D57E7A-01A4-40EF-B7F1-FD35F7B82D2E.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 0C56AB6A-CF18-4804-A7FB-9C470644A802.jpeg
    0C56AB6A-CF18-4804-A7FB-9C470644A802.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 103

You're going to use a DPP 1000.2 LNB with the 42 Switch.
The two outputs in sequence to the Inputs on the Duo Hub. I know the image shows two Solo Hubs but a Duo Hub is the way to go

dp6.png

Reactions: charlesrshell
So I need to replace my hybrid LNB with a DPP 1000.2 LNB in addition to the DP42 switch and the hybrid duo hub? That's probably what I had before they replaced it when I got my H3? Assuming that LNB will work with my existing dish? Diagnostics says Hybrid EA.2.

So I need to replace my hybrid LNB with a DPP 1000.2 LNB in addition to the DP42 switch and the hybrid duo hub?
I'm going to keep insisting, a EA Hybrid LNB should work fine. If you want to play it safe/do it "by the book", then you should be able to get a DPP LNB on ebay for a decent price anyway.
That's probably what I had before they replaced it when I got my H3?
If you still have it laying around and its a twin-eyed LNB that says DPP somewhere on the enclosure, then yes. You would of also had a node (White labeled box) instead of a solo hub.
Assuming that LNB will work with my existing dish?
Assuming you have a standard, non-modified dish, then you have a 1000.2. Which will accept any 1000.2 LNB. Only issue may be the yoke, the most recent version of the Hybrid (know as the slimline) has a different yoke to early Hybrid LNB's, so you may or may not need a new yoke if you go for the LNB change.

Bonus: Added a modified version of a diagram found in the DPH manual. Just for reference.

Attachments

• dph42.PNG
    dph42.PNG
    137.4 KB · Views: 111
I'm going to keep insisting, a EA Hybrid LNB should work fine.
You seem like you have a grasp of how the Technology of Dish works, but then you sometimes post zingers like this. A Hybrid LNBF will NOT work with a 42 switch. I don't know why you'd give bad advice like this to a Do-it-Yourselfer. Or to anyone, for that matter.

Let me share some advice I got when I first came here. You're new here, don't step on toes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts