What is wrong with the Cleveland Indians?

Paul,
I doubt that the Tigers really have a package that the Indians would want, seeing it's in the division as HM mentioned.

I was just trying to figure out a way the Tigers could get good pitching and the Indians could get good hitting, seeing they both need the mentioned items.

Jimbo

Not happening Jimbo. First off, we can't empty the cupboard anymore. Second, I think Cleveland has to be nuts to trade him, unless they know something about his health we don't know. They need to open the wallet and pay this guy, even if he is having an off year. Pitchers with this kind of talent aren't falling off of trees.

OK, I've changed my mind on this subject after reading this morning that Sabathia had turned down a 4yr. , $72M contract from the Tribe back in spring. This guy should have his head examined! $18M per year wasn't enough? The Tribe might as well trade him, there isn't enough money outside of the Yankee's to sign this fool.

[/B]

OK, I've changed my mind on this subject after reading this morning that Sabathia had turned down a 4yr. , $72M contract from the Tribe back in spring. This guy should have his head examined! $18M per year wasn't enough? The Tribe might as well trade him, there isn't enough money outside of the Yankee's to sign this fool.

Surprisingly the Dodgers and BREWER's are being mentioned as top contenders for Sabathia.

Jimbo

[/b]

Exactly. We made a legitimate offer. Sabathia's agent is telling him that he can find a 5-6 year contract in the $18-$20 million/year range. That is the contract that Sabathia is seeking. If the Indians tied up that much money for that long on 1 pitcher, we'd compromise the ability to spend those dollars in other areas of need.

Another sad, yet unfortunate example on how a mid-market team just can't hold onto serious talent in a salary cap free league......

Surprisingly the Dodgers and BREWER's are being mentioned as top contenders for Sabathia.

Jimbo

Yep. The Brewers apparently have quite a few attractive minor league players to offer. But remember, a trade this season would mean that the team would only get to "rent" Sabathia for the remainder of the year. Sabathia's contract is up after this year and then he will become a free agent and able to sign with the highest bidder. The Brewers may only be looking to use his services this year, knowing they won't be able to afford him after that...

Yep. The Brewers apparently have quite a few attractive minor league players to offer. But remember, a trade this season would mean that the team would only get to "rent" Sabathia for the remainder of the year. Sabathia's contract is up after this year and then he will become a free agent and able to sign with the highest bidder. The Brewers may only be looking to use his services this year, knowing they won't be able to afford him after that...

Good point.
Does CC have a No trade clause eliminating certain teams ?
I take it the Brewers are not on that list .

If I were the Brewers, I would insist that he be signed to a contract extention before making the trade.

Speaking of Sabathia, why haven't the Phillies made offers?

They need another solid starter to take some of the pressure off of Cole Hamels.

Good point.
Does CC have a No trade clause eliminating certain teams ?
I take it the Brewers are not on that list .

If I were the Brewers, I would insist that he be signed to a contract extention before making the trade.

I haven't heard any mention of a no trade clause in his contract. So, all teams can make there best offer.

July 9th, 2008- The Cleveland Indians lose their 10th straight! :mad::(:confused:

This is the longest streak of losing since 1973. The club record for most consecutive losses is in 1931 when the Indians lost 12 in a row. But if they want to have more claim to fame, the Cleveland Spiders hold the actual worst MLB losing streak record with 24 games in a row. Oh, btw, the Spiders played back in the 1800's!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

July 9th, 2008- The Cleveland Indians lose their 10th straight! :mad::(:confused:

This is the longest streak of losing since 1973. The club record for most consecutive losses is in 1931 when the Indians lost 12 in a row. But if they want to have more claim to fame, the Cleveland Spiders hold the actual worst MLB losing streak record with 24 games in a row. Oh, btw, the Spiders played back in the 1800's!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You can stick a fork in 'em...they are done.:hungry: I have stopped watching them mostly now. Everyone except Grady seems like they are going thru the motions. It's too painful to view.

Everyone except Grady seems like they are going thru the motions. It's too painful to view.

Including Wedge. He only let his best reliever (Perez) face 1 batter last night.....

I certainly don't blame this horrific season entirely on Wedge, but I'm really suprised there hasn't been more talk about him losing his job....First to Worst will usually put a manager in the hot seat.

Including Wedge. He only let his best reliever (Perez) face 1 batter last night.....

I certainly don't blame this horrific season entirely on Wedge, but I'm really suprised there hasn't been more talk about him losing his job....First to Worst will usually put a manager in the hot seat.

As much as I like Eric Wedge (he came up through the Red Sox organization), he deserves to be on the hot seat. This Indians team is wayyyy too talented to have the record they have at this point. Unfortunately, that has to fall on the manager.

As much as I like Eric Wedge (he came up through the Red Sox organization), he deserves to be on the hot seat. This Indians team is wayyyy too talented to have the record they have at this point. Unfortunately, that has to fall on the manager.

Agreed 100%.

Heads need to roll. This seasons lack of performance is absolutely unacceptable.

In light of recently losing Sabathia, I really don’t know what to think of this franchise anymore. We all knew that Sabathia wouldn't be resigned, but it is becoming more frustrating in seeing the options that we have to try and fill his spot. I really didn't think it was possible to find someone that throws slower than Paul Byrd, well Jeremy Sowers does and he's supposed to replace Sabathia?! I miss the big fella already :( ....

The old saying of "you don't know what you've got until it's gone", is so true. I think back to of all those Indians teams growing up in the 80's and early 90's that lacked adequate starting pitching. It was so evident that pitching was needed to compete in this league, but the team seemed to ignore it for so long and we continued to lose for so many years. That is until the mid-90's and the turn of the century.....

In Sabathia, we had our first true ace since Gaylord Perry. The pitching staff that we had last year, comes around maybe once in a lifetime. Three 15 game winners, a lights out bullpen and a closer who led the AL in saves! It is becoming more evident that we blew an outstanding opportunity that we had last year.

Last week, ownership decided to let our ace go. Instead of taking risks on tying money up with prospects and young unproven players, why can't we lock up a proven commodity instead?

It seems like just yesterday that this team was just ONE WIN AWAY from the World Series and possibly the world championship. Now they’re going absolutely nowhere. This is going to be a long summer, with a lot of questions to be answered and voids to be filled.

THIS lineup is wayyyy too talented? :confused:

Sizemore
Carroll
Francisco
Peralta
Blake
Choo
Garko
Shoppach
Gutierrez

It's not Eric Wedge's fault that Cabrera, Gutierrez and Garko forgot how to hit this year.
It's not his fault Rafael Betancourt forgot how to pitch.
It's not his fault that Martinez, Hafner, Carmona and Westbrook got hurt.

You take away the 3 and 4 hitters and the 2 and 3 starting pitchers from a mid-market team for any significant time and tell me how they are doing.

Bottom line is Wedge took a team with the 24th-highest payroll and had the best record in baseball last year.
He's the same manager he was then.

In Sabathia, we had our first true ace since Gaylord Perry.

In 7 full seasons with the Indians, C.C. had an ERA over 4.00 four times, and never had an ERA below 3.21 (last season).

In 4 1/2 full seasons with the Indians, Bartolo Colon had an ERA over 4.00 once (4.09 in 2001), and he pitched in more of the "steroids" era of offense.
Colon had an ERA of 2.55 when he was traded in 2002.

Last week, ownership decided to let our ace go. Instead of taking risks on tying money up with prospects and young unproven players, why can't we lock up a proven commodity instead?

Because he wants to be the highest paid pitcher in baseball.

Only 4 or 5 teams can do that and the Indians ain't one of them.

THIS lineup is wayyyy too talented? :confused:

Sizemore
Carroll
Francisco
Peralta
Blake
Choo
Garko
Shoppach
Gutierrez

It's not Eric Wedge's fault that Cabrera, Gutierrez and Garko forgot how to hit this year.
It's not his fault Rafael Betancourt forgot how to pitch.
It's not his fault that Martinez, Hafner, Carmona and Westbrook got hurt.

You take away the 3 and 4 hitters and the 2 and 3 starting pitchers from a mid-market team for any significant time and tell me how they are doing.

Bottom line is Wedge took a team with the 24th-highest payroll and had the best record in baseball last year.
He's the same manager he was then.

Ummm, first of all, I said talented team not lineup (and I still think Sizemore, Hafner, Martinez, Peralta, et al is a very talented core). And I'm confused about your post. Are you saying that you didn't expect more from the Indians this year, or that they played over their heads last year? They were one win away from a World Championship last year (yes, they would have thrashed the Rockies just like the Red Sox did), and this year only Seattle has a worse record in the AL. That's a startling turnaround........injuries or not. Besides, I'm not saying that the Indians should let Wedgie go, I'm just saying he should at the very least be scrutinized. That's all.

In light of recently losing Sabathia, I really don’t know what to think of this franchise anymore. We all knew that Sabathia wouldn't be resigned, but it is becoming more frustrating in seeing the options that we have to try and fill his spot. I really didn't think it was possible to find someone that throws slower than Paul Byrd, well Jeremy Sowers does and he's supposed to replace Sabathia?! I miss the big fella already :( ....

The old saying of "you don't know what you've got until it's gone", is so true. I think back to of all those Indians teams growing up in the 80's and early 90's that lacked adequate starting pitching. It was so evident that pitching was needed to compete in this league, but the team seemed to ignore it for so long and we continued to lose for so many years. That is until the mid-90's and the turn of the century.....

In Sabathia, we had our first true ace since Gaylord Perry. The pitching staff that we had last year, comes around maybe once in a lifetime. Three 15 game winners, a lights out bullpen and a closer who led the AL in saves! It is becoming more evident that we blew an outstanding opportunity that we had last year.

It seems like just yesterday that this team was just ONE WIN AWAY from the World Series and possibly the world championship. Now they’re going absolutely nowhere. This is going to be a long summer, with a lot of questions to be answered and voids to be filled.

Word of advice: stay true and don't sever your ties; you'll be rewarded.

I went through a similar situation:

In 2003, with my Sabres playing very bad hockey, swarming in red bankruptcy ink and almost gone for good, I came within an eyelash of severing my Sabres ties.

Thankfully, I didn't- Golisano bought the team, they traded for Briere from Phoenix, signed Drury from Calgary, and brought up Miller.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)