What should VOOM do to attract more customers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
i think there are a few issues Voom will have to address to really push it over the top:

1. DVR
A leasable 2 OTA/2 satellite input DVR with firewire would the holy grail. The Direct HDTivo does not have a way to archive but it does have the Tivo interface and the requisite number of tuners to allow for 2 recordings while watching another channel. The DirectTV DVR is very expensive though at 999 dollars. Cable boxes are mandated to have firewire but have very small hard drives nd poor interfaces (not very Tivo like). These can be leased for very reasonable fees. If Voom can split the difference with it's DVR and get it here before there is much market penetration by the DirectTV HD DVR, then Voom has product that will steal alot of customers. I think a key component of this is making the DVR available for lease. Existing Direct customers have some money tied into their DirectTV HD satellite receivers and they are going to be very hesitant to leave Direct after being equipment for Direct and then having to buy equipment for Voom, too.

2. Have more HD than anybody - lots more.
Voom can't compete by copying Dish or DirectTV. First of all, Voom doesn't have the NFL season ticket and the people with a passionate need for Season Ticket and other sports subscriptions will stay with Direct and Dish. This means Voom needs to bring in all HD options and really mark out the HD territory - INHD has to be brought aboard since they offer MLB in HD, HDNet has name cache, WGN-HD with Cub baseball would be a big winner.

3. The Wife factor
No HGTV and no FoodTV makes Voom a much harder sell to one's wife. Voom does have TLC, though, which is good.

I still talk to people who have no idea what Voom is. There's a guy at work who callis it Zoom. I voted for getting Voom into the retail stores. That way maybe they will make it into the flyers and at least get people interested in them.

astrossuperfan said:
Voom needs to get their priorities in order. Nobody joins Voom because they have Moov and the Auction channel. These channels take up perfectly good bandwidth for channels that would attract customers, like their local RSN. If Voom is serious about making money, they need to focus on money-making channels.

Don't get me wrong, i love as much HD as I can get, but as far as Voom being successful they really need to get channels people will want. Ice cream melting in a continuous all-day loop does not draw in subs.

Let the flaming begin about how cool the ice cream thing is. :p
amen brother, can Moov, and cut out some cinema channels, for petes sake they run the same ^&*^% movie all day. give me tnthd, inhd1 and 2

Why does everyone want to can half the channels on cinema 10? Why not just play more movies on all 10, instead of adding more movies on 5.

rexoverbey said:
Why does everyone want to can half the channels on cinema 10? Why not just play more movies on all 10, instead of adding more movies on 5.
If their library was currently large enough to support it then great. But based on how much the movies repeat throughout the month it doesn't seem like they have a very extensive library.

rexoverbey said:
Because the library isnt big enough. Anyway 5 cinema10 channels each showing 2 movies alternating would work just fine. In its present form its just something to criticize and brings most to the conclusion that its a waste. Cinema5+ epics+monsters is still 6 more old movie channels than HDnetmovies!
Voom would keep its appeal to movie buffs, still offer more than directv and free up valuable space. Its a no brainer. Use the space for tntHD, fox sportshd thats rumored, tbshd? TMC HD etc when the come maybe inhd1 and 2.

Let me ask this: what kind of sense does cinema10 make with a DVR? It makes it even more laughable.

Wouldnt it also be helpful to name the cinema channels, DramaHD, ComedyHD etc? as it stands now who can remember what kind of material runs on cinema1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10?

Simple. Voom should convince us why they are better than other satellite and cable companies (more hd channels, new satellites etc). They should also advertise more on the internet, like on yahoo front page etc.

Because the library isnt big enough.
I doubt this since they own AMC/TMC.
And would anyone say. "Please git rid of some of these HBO channels they play the same stuff over and over". I say they will eventually play more material and it would be hard to get extra channels back. As for the bandwidth Voom is supposed to add another satellite and upgrade everyone's dish to a 2 lnb. So I doubt this is the case. If anything they need to remove the duplicate SD channels like HBO,Cinemax, etc.
as it stands now who can remember what kind of material runs on cinema1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10?
Who can remember what comes on 210 channels like Directv? That is what a guide is for. And it isn't like we have ppv yet. If they want to replace some of those channels add some PPV.

Make Voom available in Alaska and I am there in a heartbeat!

mike123abc said:
VOOM needs to do what Dish/Direct do... Give you up to 4 free recievers and charge you $0 for the first one and $5/month for the extra ones. This will put their prices in line with Dish/Direct...
this is so wrong. Go try and get 4 free HD recievers with digital OTA tuners. LMAO, With Directv they are 300x4 = 1200 bucks.
If you bought the voom recievers it would be 500+200+200+200 = 1100 bucks.
Cheaper!
Or you can rent them which you cant do with Directv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)