What was your first computer?

1) PC XT 8088 with a 10 MB hard drive built in 1988.
2) 1988 in the college lab. I built mine because I got tired of going to the lab.
3) 1994 university email account.

The Aquarius may have been the first computer that I owned but the first one that I ever used was back in the 1980's. It was the Apple IIe computer. I remember playing word and number munchers back in grade and middle school. When I was in high school (or just graduated) someone said that I still had the top score on the number munchers computer back at the middle school lol. I remember people enjoying "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego" and "Oregon Trail" as well on the Apple IIe. I also remember the typing classes they made us take back in middle school on that computer.

First computer I owned was an Everex 386 DX33 with 4mb of EDO and a 104MB hard drive running Windows 3.11 that I bought in the early 1990s. Still have that case though it's original contents are long gone. It has been "updated" 4 or 5 times and I'm on it typing this post right now. That computer, along with a 12" CRT and a dot matrix printer cost me $1800 back then.

I built my first computer in 1998. It was a 400 MHz Pentium II with 64 MB of SDRAM and it was a gaming machine with a Canopus Pure 3D (SP) VooDoo II PCI video card that I still have. Back then Quake 2 was hot and heavy and I had played that some on my original 386 also with a VooDoo 1 PCI card that I still have. That PII computer was eventually upgraded to a VooDoo3, then later to a VooDoo 5 before it was retired.

First computer I ever used was an Epsom back in 1986. It had two 5 1/4" floppy drives and I used Word Perfect 4.0 to write lesson plans for what was then Power Safety International, a Babcock & Wilcox joint venture with Flight Safety International. Was an instructor working with nuclear power plants nation wide after the Three Mile Island melt down. Still have that Word Perfect progie and also have a couple of those floppy drives.

First Email was with AOL and that was back in the early 1990s as well.

Ah yes, the good old days!

Last edited:
Coleco ADAM with a 300 baud modem and a subscription to CompuServ
IBM XT with a 10mb and a 20mb hard disk running a BBS called Joker's Castle
Email on local BBS using a DOS script to call and download email from other BBS systems. 1986 maybe?

I think I still have bragging rights on earliest e-mail with that late 1979 access (may have been spring 1980 before we got it working) due to being on the HP-UX investigation.

jayn_j said:
I think I still have bragging rights on earliest e-mail with that late 1979 access (may have been spring 1980 before we got it working) due to being on the HP-UX investigation.

Yeah, I'll give you that :). I had bitnet access in 88/89 but that is as far back for me.

Compuserve was the earlier service, but AOL was the first to allow members to mail outside of their domain.

I remember when AOL got onto the internet and the predictions that this was the end.

jayn_j said:
I remember when AOL got onto the internet and the predictions that this was the end.

It happened in 1994, and some called it the arrival of "Perpetual September."

Here's why. In years past, new or returning university students would get their logins etc to use the computer system and Arpanet etc. All through September were the same newbie questions like "how do I access FTP, or use Pine" and so forth. They were usually up to speed by October. Repeat this every September.

A lot of AOL users thought The Internet was just one large extension of AOL. They were astounded to learn it had been around for years.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys App

1) What was the first computer you have owned? MITS Altair 8800 with a whopping 256 BYTES of memory (1975).

2) What was the first computer you used? Scientific Data Systems (SDS) (later Xerox Data Systems) Sigma 7 at UC Irvine (1965)

3) When did you first have an email account? Around 1985

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts