What we are hearing...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi, I'm new to the board and am looking forward to new HD but am curious about local HD channels. Raleigh NC has HD on DTV but it is limited to the immediate surrounding area, I sometimes get them briefly in the morning but I'm not supposed to. Will the new 10 bird extend the local viewing HD area or will I have to wait for the next launch? Also my front TV with a H20-600 is OK with 480,481, but my back TV with a H20-100 won't even get 480,481 or 498. (DTV replaced my original H20-600 in the back with a refurbished H20-100 after the H20-600 burned up after 1 day of initial installation). Thanks! Pete

Hi, I'm new to the board and am looking forward to new HD but am curious about local HD channels. Raleigh NC has HD on DTV but it is limited to the immediate surrounding area, I sometimes get them briefly in the morning but I'm not supposed to. Will the new 10 bird extend the local viewing HD area or will I have to wait for the next launch? Also my front TV with a H20-600 is OK with 480,481, but my back TV with a H20-100 won't even get 480,481 or 498. (DTV replaced my original H20-600 in the back with a refurbished H20-100 after the H20-600 burned up after 1 day of initial installation). Thanks! Pete

What is your zip code? Check here to see if you are supposed to get hd locals:http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/localChannels.jsp?assetId=900018 Do you have the b-band adapter connected to your H20-100?

A) tune to 73, then 74, then 498 and see if it works

This is not a fix just a way to make sure you are checking both Sat 1 and Sat2. You go to 498 and check it and then go to 73 then 74 then 498 and you have seen both inputs.

so if this indeed is a way to get to the second input, then all the people that see grey on the first input are having an issue on the second input only.. if this is the case then they may be having a false sense of security that all is well.... then even if it works when we first tune to 498, we should do the same switch to 73, then 74, then 498.... if the above theory is correct, I would expect to see some grey or black screens..... unless of course that the only bad inputs are only on tuner one

Hi Chip, I'm not supposed to get HD locals (zip23927), just thought with the new bird they might expand the area due to higher capacity. My H20-100 is hooked up the same as my H20-600 (B Band converter in place). CS says when the new HD channels are up, the current digital channels will automatically switch to HD on the H20-100.

Say GOODBYE to HDLITE on DirecTV, we are hearing full resolution on all the new MPEG4 channels! All channels will be using VBR (variable bit rate) encoding. In addition DirecTV is only putting 4 MPEG4 channels per transponder (Dish Network does 6 per transponder at 1440x1080) DirecTV will be doing 4 per transponder at 1920x1080. (The 720p channels will be at full resolution which is 1280x720)

If this really comes to pass as well as all the additional HD.......you can consider me a "former" Dish subscriber. I'll wait and see if it really happens tho...

Say GOODBYE to HDLITE on DirecTV, we are hearing full resolution on all the new MPEG4 channels! All channels will be using VBR (variable bit rate) encoding. In addition DirecTV is only putting 4 MPEG4 channels per transponder (Dish Network does 6 per transponder at 1440x1080) DirecTV will be doing 4 per transponder at 1920x1080. (The 720p channels will be at full resolution which is 1280x720)

If this really comes to pass as well as all the additional HD.......you can consider me a "former" Dish subscriber. I'll wait and see if it really happens tho...

Yup. I"ll switch too ifthings are lopsided when the dust settles.

Spaceway-1 is the satellite that shares the 102.8 orbit with Directv-10 now. It is an older model 702 that has nothing to do with -1 other than sharing it's orbit. Directv-10 and 11 are redesigned versions of the same model. Spaceway-1 has 54 transponders that were supposed to deliver broadband via dish. After Murdoch bought D* that was all scraped and some of it's transponders were reconfigured from spot beams to national. The 54 TP's on Spaceway-1 are completely seperate from the 32 national transponders on -10.
Military electronics and satellites used to be my business.

They are not separate....and yes it is spelled separate not seperate.

I'm well aware of the birds up there. FYI...it doesn't matter how many birds and transponders you have in one orbital spot they can only use the frequencies they have licensed to uplink and downlink the video.

Sorry, I started ignoring the number of HD channels a long time ago on the commercials and other advertisements.

16 X 6 = 96 - there's your 100 for the end of the year.
Digi,
it should be counted as
- today 16 tpns x 4 ch = 64 HD channels
- later 24 tpns x 4 ch = 96 HD channels.

As you aware ;) D10 tpn map listed 24 tpns total.

not sure where to post this anymore but my bill activity finally updated to reflect starz hd, cinemax hd and sports hd plus a credit on the hd access fee. had to swap out h20's this morning so maybe, that's why it all updated finally. strange!

thinking out loud.......wonder if we have to wait for everybodies accounts to update before the first new channels go live?

i tried to ask the tech who was here what was going on. he kept answering ``yep.'' like, have your customers been bugging you about the delay. yep. so, i hear the billing computer basically fried causing the delay. yep. so gonna get something soon. yep. draw your own conclusions.

First off... Everything you read here should be considered a RUMOR until you see it yourself... And I think you are going to like what you see. :D

Second... this information is made up of not only information I found out myself through my contacts but is also made up from information that other staff members have found and reported in our staff area. The information has been compiled together (and a lot of it matches from all of our sources)

So here we go...

It appears the new channels may not appear until Tuesday or Wednesday. While there could be a chance they could go up earlier, it is doubtfull as they need to prep for the NFL Ticket on Sunday which takes a lot of work to put on.

We should see anywhere from 10 to 25 HD channels next week. With TBS HD and CNN HD being the first ones available. Additionaly channels will be rolled out through the month of October.

It is expected that current MPEG2 HD channels will be available in MPEG4, for the MPEG4 versions of the channels users must tune to the SD channel number for that channel and the MPEG4 version will automatically be tuned.

And there you have it. Remember until you see it for yourself then consider this just a rumor. :D

Only 10 or 15 channels...Thats not even half what was promised for this month.

Add to the fact it will be Tuesday or Wednesday they are saying which was course was suppose to be last Wednesday and before that the Saturday before I have my doubts and it is probably a rumor as your saying.

I expect if it happens it will be Sept. 30 at 11:59 pm in other words the very last minute they can offer thier big promise....And look for those supposed next 70 for October to really be just 7 launch date Oct. 31st 11:59 pm

Call me cynical!

We need a sticky for those seeking new HD LIL markets.

I think it unlikely that any new HD LIL markets will be turned up until NFL-ST SF and HD nationals get straightened out.

Add to the fact it will be Tuesday or Wednesday they are saying which was course was suppose to be last Wednesday and before that the Saturday before I have my doubts and it is probably a rumor as your saying.

I expect if it happens it will be Sept. 30 at 11:59 pm in other words the very last minute they can offer thier big promise....And look for those supposed next 70 for October to really be just 7 launch date Oct. 31st 11:59 pm

Call me cynical!

first, scott's post says between 10 and 25 channels potentially up next week. a total of 70 are due to be on by the end of october. i must have missed something here, eh? :confused:

second, i believe its been fairly well documented there was a computer problem which caused the delay. ever heard that saying....sh*t happens?

Download speeds are around 1meg which is much faster than dial up. The upload speeds however are sometimes slower than dial up & very frustrating if sending files. I was grateful when cable came out to the country!

I got the more expensive Bussiness satallite which is bigger and more powerful does 1.5 mb down/up but cost 100$ a month(original got it for biz) being in the mountains It really is much better then dialup we get here but now there is word of High-fi coming to town via Wireless (wi-max) towers they are going to build all around here.not sure how that is going to work

I got the more expensive Bussiness satallite which is bigger and more powerful does 1.5 mb down/up but cost 100$ a month(original got it for biz) being in the mountains It really is much better then dialup we get here but now there is word of High-fi coming to town via Wireless (wi-max) towers they are going to build all around here.not sure how that is going to work

I switched from DSL to WiMax (Clearwire) a few months ago. I have the fastest speed, 1.5 down/256k up (although it frequently runs slower than this). It works pretty well and has had fewer outages than I had with DSL (Qwest). Upload was faster with DSL, but I was paying about $14/mo more.

Call me cynical!

Whaaaaaa.......................!sadroll

Hi Chip, I'm not supposed to get HD locals (zip23927), just thought with the new bird they might expand the area due to higher capacity. My H20-100 is hooked up the same as my H20-600 (B Band converter in place). CS says when the new HD channels are up, the current digital channels will automatically switch to HD on the H20-100.

They will be expanding the hd locals eventually, but there is no set schedule for it. You might want to switch the b-band converters to see if the one on the H20-100 is bad.

Just a note about the 498,73,73,498 sequence for checking both tuners on HR20. The channels you change to are irrelevant other than 498. Each time you change channels , you change tuners:
for Example
498 -Tuner 1
CH x -Tuner 2
CH y -Tuner 1
498 -Tuner 2
So you've tested both tuner 1 & tuner 2. x & y can be anything and simplest sequence is:
498 -One tuner
CH+-Other Tuner
CH+-Back to original tuner
498-Now testing 2nd tuner.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)