What we are hearing...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not sure if this goes in this thread or not but I talked to a representative from the Big Ten Network tonight in Champaign. The Big Ten Network is holding a function at a local restaurant to pimp the new network. Anyway, I went up to him and asked what was the deal with not being in HD on Directv. I acted like a dumb yocal (someone who doesn't go to SatelliteGuys.US) and he said the problem what on Directv's side. Duh. He then said the the higher management people at the network are very unhappy and have been in constant contact with Directv. He later said next weeks game have been guaranteed to be in HD on Directv.

Ya'll want a guarantee that these few measley channels will be up "next week?"

I say that they're going to miss. That there's no way, no how they'll have them up even by mid-October.

There...now you have your guarantee, because whatever I predict will happen, the total opposite comes off.

Not sure if this goes in this thread or not but I talked to a representative from the Big Ten Network tonight in Champaign. The Big Ten Network is holding a function at a local restaurant to pimp the new network. Anyway, I went up to him and asked what was the deal with not being in HD on Directv. I acted like a dumb yocal (someone who doesn't go to SatelliteGuys.US) and he said the problem what on Directv's side. Duh. He then said the the higher management people at the network are very unhappy and have been in constant contact with Directv. He later said next weeks game have been guaranteed to be in HD on Directv.

BTN is the sole reason I switched to DTV to begin with. And Penn State plays in BTN next week...I want it in HD! :)

Thanks, Scott. I think that all of the torment over which precise dates the HD channels will be turned on will soon be forgotten, but delivering the PQ promised by 1080x1920 resolution and effective MPEG4 compression will be put Direct TV in a clear leadership position in the HD arena.

I'm currently using cable with TWC and looking to make a switch to satellite, comparing all of the pros and cons of E* vs. D*, and this news, assuming the rumor becomes reality, will override all of the other variables,

Last edited:
It is expected that current MPEG2 HD channels will be available in MPEG4, for the MPEG4 versions of the channels users must tune to the SD channel number for that channel and the MPEG4 version will automatically be tuned.

And there you have it. Remember until you see it for yourself then consider this just a rumor. :D

Thanks for the update. Would this include HD channels for which their are no SD counterpart (HD Net)? I do not get the 119 satellite due to leaves and would like to be able to see HD Het again before this fall.

Again, thanks for the info.

CT

How's this for a ball-buster scenario?

D* wanted to release on the 19th. A problem with the billing computer fouled things up, as well as some sporadic, intermittent technical problems with the sat itself. The billing problem was the easy fix, and the programmers have already applied the patches to fix the problem. The sporadic, intermittent problem with the sat was probably believed to be able to be ironed out by Saturday, so the Sunday release rumors left the corp. They even put up a channel to announce that Sunday was the day! But today, they've discovered that the sporadic, intermittent problem is not so easy to track down. So they pushed back, all the way to edge of the end of September, with still no fix in sight (and they pull the release announcement plans on 570).

This is practically their last play. Once next week rolls around and the problem still persists, even with Boeing and D* working around the clock to fix it, they push back one more time...to Saturday, September 29th at 6:00 AM. That will give them 48 hours to finally fix it.

When that fails, the wheels fall off. You guys hit the roof. Providers like Big 10 Net become unhinged because they're losing revenue at the height of college football season...and D* has egg all over their face.

October 1st, 2007 will be the first real customer service communication you'll have from D* about D-10 and what's going wrong. They'll assure you that more HD channels are coming and they're working hard to release as many as they can as soon as they can.

I predict you'll get your channels on October 20th, 2007.

How's this for a ball-buster scenario?

D* wanted to release on the 19th. A problem with the billing computer fouled things up, as well as some sporadic, intermittent technical problems with the sat itself. The billing problem was the easy fix, and the programmers have already applied the patches to fix the problem. The sporadic, intermittent problem with the sat was probably believed to be able to be ironed out by Saturday, so the Sunday release rumors left the corp. They even put up a channel to announce that Sunday was the day! But today, they've discovered that the sporadic, intermittent problem is not so easy to track down. So they pushed back, all the way to edge of the end of September, with still no fix in sight (and they pull the release announcement plans on 570).

This is practically their last play. Once next week rolls around and the problem still persists, even with Boeing and D* working around the clock to fix it, they push back one more time...to Saturday, September 29th at 6:00 AM. That will give them 48 hours to finally fix it.

When that fails, the wheels fall off. You guys hit the roof. Providers like Big 10 Net become unhinged because they're losing revenue at the height of college football season...and D* has egg all over their face.

October 1st, 2007 will be the first real customer service communication you'll have from D* about D-10 and what's going wrong. They'll assure you that more HD channels are coming and they're working hard to release as many as they can as soon as they can.

I predict you'll get your channels on October 20th, 2007.

Typical anti D* post

I think OzMan may be hhighly incorrect.

If I can say one thing that has me a believer... a SLINGBOX is a great thing. :D

Wrong, Jimbo.

If you read my previous post, I'm trying to guarantee ya'll a release next week of HD.

BTW: I hate the Buckeyes...ever since that jerk coach of theirs hit my Florida Gator in the mouth for making an interception during the 1978 Gator Bowl.

GO GATORS!

This is good news. I also got directv mainly for big ten network and the promise of HD broadcasts by mid-September. I also got them for the Comcast Sportsnet HD, which is phenomenal. I just wish they would've had the HD up by tomorrow so I could watch my Illini take on the Hoosiers. Still, the sooner the better, and the picture-quality improvements is even better news.

Congrats, Ozman!
You appear to be the poster child for while people are beginning to cringe when going to sites like this. We want intelligent and well-thought answers, not somebody who has just wants to provoke people.
Please let people who want real answers use the site for what it is intended for, not for making yourself look foolish!

PS I'm glad you hate somebody for something they didn't do. Now that makes a lot of sense.

If there are 16 TP's at 4 channels per, isn't that only 64? And aren't some of those TP's for spot beams? Or do I just not know my @$$ from a hole in the ground?!!!:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)