What we are hearing...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just a note about the 498,73,73,498 sequence for checking both tuners on H20. The channels you change to are irrelevant other than 498. Each time you change channels , you change tuners:
for Example
498 -Tuner 1
CH x -Tuner 2
CH y -Tuner 1
498 -Tuner 2
So you've tested both tuner 1 & tuner 2. x & y can be anything and simplest sequence is:
498 -One tuner
CH+-Other Tuner
CH+-Back to original tuner
498-Now testing 2nd tuner.
The H20 only has 1 satellite tuner. You must be talking about the HR-20.

They are not separate....and yes it is spelled separate not seperate.

I'm well aware of the birds up there. FYI...it doesn't matter how many birds and transponders you have in one orbital spot they can only use the frequencies they have licensed to uplink and downlink the video.
Sorry for the spelling error. Let's follow this link.

http://www.dbsforums.com/compare/chart.html

This chart shows that D* has 48 licenses at 103. That is 32 plus 16. Just cause the transponder isn't transmitting doesn't mean it doesn't have a license.

Last edited:
If D* ever gets their little technical problem resolved, I've attached the channel listing page from the October edition of D* Access magazine so you can see what HD channel they 'officially' said would be up in October.

Attachments

• dtv channels.jpg
    dtv channels.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 464
If D* ever gets their little technical problem resolved, I've attached the channel listing page from the October edition of D* Access magazine so you can see what HD channel they 'officially' said would be up in October.

Thanks for the list RAD.

I am still hearing the Cablevision commercials - they HEAVILY BOAST that they are the ONLY place to get the Islanders, Knicks and Rangers in HD. Guess they will play that until the VERY LAST MOMENT.

Good to see MSG AND FSNY on the listings!

I'm real happy with the new Starz channels comming. E* has them now in SD and their great. So now I can Downgrade my E* package. Now all D* has to do is get some Locals in HD and maybe a few more Cinemax channels ,and then I can kick E* to the curb.

Sorry for the spelling error. Let's follow this link.

http://www.dbsforums.com/compare/chart.html

This chart shows that D* has 48 licenses at 103. That is 32 plus 16. Just cause the transponder isn't transmitting doesn't mean it doesn't have a license.

Pardon my ignorance with the DirecTV receivers as I don't have one. Why does the receiver only go up to 32 transponders on the signal strength page?

Pardon my ignorance with the DirecTV receivers as I don't have one. Why does the receiver only go up to 32 transponders on the signal strength page?
There's 2 satellites at the 103. right now theres 1 at the 99,but when the D11 goes up there will be 2 also.103a I think is for Local HD channels that some people have now,Including my YESHD and SNYHD.

You might want to check out a discussion on the Ka band satellites at http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=82295 . It looks like how the Ka band satellites function are a bit different then the Ku band sats that are in use now.

Some examples from that thread:

"Directv standard Ku transponders, numbered 1-32, are 29mhz wide with 24mhz usable. For D10 and D11, Ka transponders are numbered 1-24, and are 40mhz wide with 36mhz usable. S1 and S2 can be operated as eight transponders 62.5mhz wide.

"Because of the smaller guard frequenies between transponder channels and the overlapping structure of Ka vs. the offset used by Ku, Ka gives about 10% more usable bandwidth.
Ku usable bandwidth from 500mhz available is 384mhz.
Ka usable bandwidth from 500mhz available is 432mhz.

So I don't think you can do a one to one comparison between Ku and Ka band transponders.

Last edited:

For the 103 slot, it has seperate pages for Ka/A-Band and Ka/B-Band. 32 transponder slots on each, for a total of 64. However, the frequencies that D* does not have licenses for are flagged "N/A".

Here's a PDF whitepaper from Zinwell that describes the DirecTV stacking plan. Note how they divide the Ka band into a "low" (b) and "high" (a) block (yes, they call the low "b" and the high "a"). The BBC then, takes the "B" band (low in the attached whitepaper) and shifts it up from the 250 to 750 MHz chunk that it comes down the wire as to a new block that's above 2150 MHz (the highest frequency shown in the chart).

Last edited:
For the 103 slot, it has seperate pages for Ka/A-Band and Ka/B-Band. 32 transponder slots on each, for a total of 64. However, the frequencies that D* does not have licenses for are flagged "N/A".
You are messing with IF after LNBF, in coax to receivers/switches.

There is a talk about tpns at satellite - totally different story !

['seperate' is wrong word, should use 'separate']

Scott

If this is a software issue, then is it reasonable to expect that there might be a national release of new software for the boxes coming down prior to the channels being turned on? It just seems like the receivers are doing glitchy type things with Channel 498 that might require a different software.

Yea, I saw that too. I just don't understand why there always has to be bad blood. Both this site and the other one are doing much to help out those that need and want help. It's almost as bad as the fight over D* and E* and who's the best.

Maybe whoever posted it and did the editing thought it was OK since when Scott was posting the chat room logs from over there some of the comments in that log were edited out by Scott. Either way, agreed, tired of all the bad blood that keeps going on between the sites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts