What will HD-DVD have to counter Pirates of the Caribbeans(Blu-ray)

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Topic: What will HD-DVD to counter Pirates of the Caribbeans this December? I honestly think nothing. Pirates of the Caribbeans will outsell anything that HD-DVD throws at them this Holiday season.

Let the blu-ray bashers come to this thread, vurbano, diogen and crew.

Uh... maybe Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? And the entire HP movie franchise to date... :)

Harry Potter is being released on Blu-Ray also. It will be interesting to see how the movies sell in on both formats.

I dubt Bourne will match with Pirates of the Caribbeans , sorry but I think Pirates of the Caribbeans will beat Bourne in sales.
Don't get me wrong here, Bourne its a great movies I've enjoyed it but Pirates of the Caribbeans its going to be a bigger hit this holiday.

Harry Potter is being released on Blu-Ray also. It will be interesting to see how the movies sell in on both formats.

Yeah. I didn't realize that. But since I hate the idea of the single releases, and want all movies in both formats, I think its a good thing.

With at least 90,000 HD DVD players sold from the early Black Friday, I suspect there will be lots of people anxious for new titles. Having HP out definitely won't hurt HD DVD.

I dubt Bourne will match with Pirates of the Caribbeans , sorry but I think Pirates of the Caribbeans will beat Bourne in sales.
Don't get me wrong here, Bourne its a great movies I've enjoyed it but Pirates of the Caribbeans its going to be a bigger hit this holiday.
Frankly I am sick of POC.

I didn't care for the third one. I'll get it bevause my girls like it and it'll complete the collection. Harry Potter is coming into the fold on HD DVD.

S~

My must haves will be LOTR trilogy and Gladiator. Releasing those on HD DVD would really put the smack down on BD.

Am I the only person who dislikes the HP and the POC movies? LOTR is another one that I just don't like.

Am I the only person who dislikes the HP and the POC movies? LOTR is another one that I just don't like.
You can't compare the three IMO. The first two are interesting entertainment when they first come out. I go and see them all at the theater. The latter is an epic masterpiece winning how many awards its last year? 11 Oscar awards. It won everything it was nominated for, tying it with Ben-Hur and Titanic. And it is DUE. Its been quite awhile since it premiered, it would be a wonderful time to see LOTR again.

Peter, you are not the only ones with HP and PoC. I am also not a LOTR fanatic, but I did enjoy LOTR more than I thought I would. I just have a hard time with kids watching a movie that long in 1 sitting.

My must haves will be LOTR trilogy and Gladiator. Releasing those on HD DVD would really put the smack down on BD.

They wouldn't do diddly. Those are *CATALOG* titles! Plus, LOTR is New Line. They are neutral.

Blu-Ray will counteract itself with Pirates. Doesn't Superbad come out the same week?

Shrek the third and Transformers should continue to sell well through the holiday period.

/raise. I've fallen asleep everytime i've sat down to watch POC1 & 2... and LOTR I respect as a great franchise that was well done, but it just isn't for me.... too long. Split it into 6 enjoyable shorter movies and I'd eat it up. Imagine if they did all the Harry Potter books as a trilogy instead of the half dozen or whatever of them they're making.

You can't compare the three IMO. The first two are interesting entertainment when they first come out. I go and see them all at the theater. The latter is an epic masterpiece winning how many awards its last year? 11 Oscar awards. It won everything it was nominated for, tying it with Ben-Hur and Titanic. And it is DUE. Its been quite awhile since it premiered, it would be a wonderful time to see LOTR again.

I agree fully. LOTR will be great on HD DVD. Amazon lists it as a product without a release date, but at least that means it is someday in the works. Just hope its the extended versions...

And for the record, I like the Harry Potter movies. They are entertaining. Looking forward to the HD DVD of Order of the Phoenix.

Frankly I am sick of POC.

This is the same thing Vurbano says about every title that is released only on BluRay -- he is beggining to sound like a broken record. And since LOTR will be released on both formats the usual 2 to 1 ratio with BD in the lead will probably hold true. As for 2007 -- this is BluRay year. They hold the sales numbers on most discs sold and that will not change. Add to it the nice bump the PS3 sales have had recently and BD players in the home is definately putting distance between BD and HD-DVD. If HD-DVD did not have that great $98 sale the standalone ration might have gotten close to 50% -- still might with the prices dropping on BD players. I saw the Samsung 1400 for $297 Friday at Circuit City! Yes, that price margin on the standalones is coming down quickly. BD is now getting serious about pricing their product against Toshiba. I don't see how Toshiba can stay in the game with multiple manufacturers gunning for them. It is getting real interesting real quick!

Knowing New Line stance on the format war LOTR will come out on Blu-Ray first then on hd-dvd "At a date to be determined."

~Matt Lasorsa, New Line EVP of Marketing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)