What will you do when Sky Angel DBS ends?

Dish is going to have to do better than that to keep me. Direct TV has way more Christian programming than Dish does. There was a thread elsewhere on this board that stated that Dish uplinked Angel 2 and KTV to one of their satellites so I am hanging in with them for a while to see what they are going to do. If in the next couple months they don't offer more Christian programming than I will either switch to Direct or go with the Glorystar system.

After this latest news of problems deploying the new 61.5 bird perhaps Charlie would be wise to call Dominion to discuss a "possible plan" to save SA with better terms offered, contingent upon a miracle that the new bird gets to it's intended slot fairly quick with no more than minimal damage.

Call it bad karma, dumb luck, or an angry God saying hello but E* is in a pickle now and needs all the help they can get for that bird to be their "savior." :D

Sorry but I don't think that will happen

I think that is a good thought but .....

No way.

The split has already happened. Besides the two TP that SA is using E* is most like going to use for HD or MPEG 4 or both.

A small price for "Divine Intervention" to save multiple $millions. Charlie may regret such a deal just 5 minutes after the hoped for miracle, but aren't people often that way once they receive their answer and start to write it off as mere chance? :D

As for the "split," well needless to say that while there's life there's hope. Heck same could be said of the bird itself!

I remember a phrase bantered about in maybe the 1970s or so about the "Just in Time God." I personally can envision a new deal between SA & E* that would address some of my previously stated concerns and actually promote the Gospel in an even better way than the old contract allowed for. But that's where faith & miracles come into play.

If you don't think that sounds like God then you haven't been reading the same book! ;)

So I suppose my suggestion falls heavily upon faith & prayer. The question is how much of either can be found the the churches of the US anymore to rescue the (apparently failed) prophetic vision of a man whom is no longer around to help make that noble goal a reality.

I cannot be sure at this juncture how much of brother Johnson's vision was of God or how much was merely just an honest aspiration to promote the Gospel. I only know that in either event there's a part God plays and a part man plays and that if someone does not at least raise the question and short of a Divine visitation SA seems doomed and E* is at the least in a hard place. But again, isn't it just like God to rescue from the seemingly impossible situation to bring about a result that is more impressive than anything we could have asked or hoped for?

A thought struck me as I was posting about this on another board. So what happens to the satellite if the owners opt to take the insurance payout rather than attempt to correct the orbit?

Is it possible that the insurer would seek to sell the bird "as is" at a discount to anyone willing to take some risk?? :hungry:

Granted, I'm talking out of school but I see the beginnings of a possible outcome for someone with nothing to lose! :eureka

So, will 3ABN be freely available on the 61.5 satellite after 3/31, or will I have to subscribe to a dish package to get it?

Kountzer aka D Bishop

I like this thinking

I cannot be sure at this juncture how much of brother Johnson's vision was of God or how much was merely just an honest aspiration to promote the Gospel. I only know that in either event there's a part God plays and a part man plays and that if someone does not at least raise the question and short of a Divine visitation SA seems doomed and E* is at the least in a hard place. But again, isn't it just like God to rescue from the seemingly impossible situation to bring about a result that is more impressive than anything we could have asked or hoped for?

Scroll, I like your thinking here. Especially "there's a part God plays and a part man plays" Amen! I totally agree 100%

It seems strange to think about a "failed" satellite launch point someone towards God, but stranger things have happened.

I agree with others on this forum that it seems like a HUGE waste not to at least try to recover this bird. It's kind of a commentary on our country today. I drive a 1988 Volvo with over 350,000 miles that someone gave me. We live in a "throw away" world; which is really sad. I hate to see anything wasted.

If Sky Angel could stay in the satellite business by the hand of God. WOW that would be wonderful. Now I hope you are right!

So, will 3ABN be freely available on the 61.5 satellite after 3/31, or will I have to subscribe to a dish package to get it?

Kountzer aka D Bishop
I just tested an unsubscribed receiver, 3ABN is NOT available.

I believe it will take a dish subscription of some sort to receive it after March 31.
Bob

I have a lifetime subscription and if they don't honor it I may join in a class action lawsuit that, I'm sure, someone will file.
we hope a class action lawsuit will happen. elderly, low income people were left out in the cold.

The transponders are already sold to Dish and approved by the FCC so SA woont exist as a DBS provider after 3/31 therefore ending the "lifetime" contracts.

That wouldn't eliminate the ability of the class to sue with cause. It would just make the most desirable outcome impossible.

It could be claimed that the sale was not fully disclosed to stakeholders and that the company used deceptive practices.

OTOH I don't believe any of this would necessarily preclude a second though, last minute negation between Echostar & Dominion. The odds of that admittedly is virtually nil, thus the "miracle aspect" I referred to. Also, if say Dominion were to partner with someone taking control of the bird as a salvage project there is also the slimmest glimmer of hope, though I claim no technical expertise as to how that might could occur.

So while the odds makers may give it a 1 in a million shot some people in this particular forum believe miracles can happen, just not everyday because then they wouldn't really BE miracles. :D

Well it looks like AMC-14 is indeed going to be moved into position but will suffer a shorter lifespan due to having to burn fuel to get into position. So much for the salvage option now.

Oh well. It was just a thought.

Since my last post I have switched from dialup to AT&T DSL light. Although it is too slow to run SkyAngel IPTV, I can't complain about the $10 per month charge.

Between now and the end of March I plan to watch and record SkyAngel satellite programming for viewing once the channels go dark. Afterwards I will watch more of the basic DISH programming which I already had.

Although my DSL is too slow for IPTV it is fast enough to play free internet radio and to download my favorite Christian TV programming from the individual program websites. The only thing I will miss is GTN which has become my most-watched SkyAngel channel.

I also have bought several DVD collections of old TV shows--Little House On the Prairie, Waltons, etc. I can watch an entire season of some of these shows for less than what it would cost me for a month of the complete SkyAngel IPTV package. Keep in mind many public libraries also have DVDs available for check-out. Obviously all will not be fit for viewing. Depending on the community the library may have a sizable number that would be worth watching.

Folks might also enjoying listening to the Word of Promise New Testament on CDs. I bought a set at WalMart for under $30. I enjoy listening to it.

Keep in mind that some of the SkyAngel channels may still show up in a basic Dish package after SkyAngel shuts down its satellite operations.

Keep in mind that some of the SkyAngel channels may still show up in a basic Dish package after SkyAngel shuts down its satellite operations.

Exactly why I bit the bullet and added Dish Family. But now I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

If I can get my FTA antenna installed and correctly aimed I might just be done with Dish entirely. I saw that Wal*Mart finally had the digital OTA tuners for my older sets for about the voucher value so I ordered my 2. In my market that option might give me most of Angel2 through the Clearwater, FL station directly plus TBN, Daystar, and Worship from Pax. Better options than some folks, I suppose.

As 4/1 approaches I am very saddened about the end of Sky Angel. For the time being, we are waiting on a digital antenna that I ordered to come in and be installed, then when Sky Angel goes dark, we will begin a 2 week trial of Netflix in order to get some older TV shows on DVD as acceptable family programming for our family to watch together. I have read multiple threads in this forum, the Dish forum, the FTA forum, and GLorystar. I would love to have GLorystar or a generic FTA setup, but I am still reading and it will take some saving.

So, in the meantime, I was wondering if maybe I should try to turn my Satellite to 119 to get Nasa and hopefully Angel One. I will wait until Sky Angel goes dark, but I have no idea how to do this. Could someone help me? I have a compass that I have been using to try and get some digital channels that antenna Web says I could get, so is it the same idea, turn the dish using the compass as direction, or will I need a satellite signal finder that I have read about in the forums.

Thanks in advance for the help. This forum has been great! I wish I had found it before Sky Angel made their decision.

Katybug

You can do that yourself for free using the Point Dish screen on your receiver. Make sure you have entered your zip code, and put in Dish 300 (not 500) if all you have is a single LNB. It will give you the azimuth and elevation angles for various Dish satellites.

That's not the hard part. The hard part is actually orienting your dish to within a couple of degrees of the correct location. If you don't get into this narrow operating range, your receiver will show zero signal strength. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts