Where is the SatDreamGR North America Image ?

IF you aren't familiar with SDR-RTL, these are low cost USB dongle tuners that many hobbyists use for HF-UHF monitoring.

RTL-SDR website:
www.rtl-sdr.com

Amazon product ASIN B0129EBDS2
The SDR plugin allows an SDR-RTL USB dongle to be used with the mio 4K for monitoring functions.

Wow, is there anything this receiver can't do?

I've read about the SDR dongles over the years, but never really felt the need to play with one before. I just might have to now. Brian has cost me more money on this Sat hobby since 2012 than anybody else, LOL!

Ham Radio, SDR & Police Scanner Technology

Once it does the blind scan, it also gives you the option to choose which TP's to scan for channels before it looks for them. This is useful for eliminating known data feeds such as those on 87, 91 and 103. I believe OpenSpa might also have this capability, but I don't recall.
Are you still using Open VIX all the time?

The main purpose of the North America Project is to provide an Enigma2 start-up Wizard and menus which are configured for North American hobbyists and make the start-up feel familiar for first-time Enigma user with only appliance STB experience. I suspect that in the future, this start-up wizard and menu (GUI) customization will be used with other images and STBs, regardless of the brand or reseller. I am amazed at what I am seeing!

The North America Project wizard experience presents only compatible resolutions and 60hz refresh rates by default, a North American satellite list covering from 0w-180e, familar LNB LO settings, advanced blind scan, automatic time sync with internet time server and a custom Glamor Aura skin with a customized weather app and bitrate plugins. The North America Project uses the SatDreamGR image that El Bandidio has incorporated some very advanced scan features and advanced reporting. For SDR-RTL users, MCelliottG has introduced some advanced plugin features for not only FM broadcasting listening, but also advanced settings for shortwave, amateur radio and public service monitoring.

If you are already familiar with Enigma2 images, you may prefer one of the many other images available. The great thing about Enigma2 is that the user can choose the operating experience and plugins that fit their wishes and needs.

The North America Project will make the introduction to Enigma2 easy and familiar for anyone used to the menus of any of the brands and models of appliance STBs sold in North America over the past 15+ years.

I need to do some research. I haven't used my SDR-RTL in ages.

Edit: Modified post after seeing more info.

Last edited:
Reactions: c-spand
So if I understand this correctly it adds ability to receive HAM radio broadcasts or something else? Just curious what sort of things you are able to receive or listen to. Any special antenna required? Looks like fun.

Long ago I had one of these:
1586974350687.png

Reactions: LocutusOfBorg
Buy a RTL-SDR dongle on Amazon or Ebay $20-$25, plug into the STB's USB port and connect the dongle to an outdoor antenna. Just like listening with any other radio, use a long wire antenna if listening to HF frequencies >50MHz or something like a discone antenna for monitoring VHF/UHF frequencies. Can listen to amateur radio, broadcast, many public safety services (non-trunked), etc.

Check out the Ham Radio subforum on Satelliteguys.us for more discussions on RTL and SDR dongles. Much more features like fight tracking, trunking systems, digital radio decoding if used with a computer, but the Mio is great for casual listening. I use mine for monitoring local ham repeaters, Weather, FM broadcast radio, etc.

Reactions: mc6809e

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts