Which Box, Open or Az?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Inno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
NW Ontario, Canada
Been re-scanning a lot of C-Band satellites recently and I have come to the conclusion that it's time to bite the bullet and get a receiver capable of S2 and high def.
For the price the Openbox seems to be the best deal going. Any reason to look at any other receivers?

I don't use my receivers as media players, so 4:2:2 is the only reason why I own an Azbox. I sometimes go for weeks at a time and never even fire up my Azbox (Elite). Probably use it more when college football/basketball fires up.

I use my Openboxes (Two S9s) every day, I don't think they can be beat for the price. They've got their issues......but all receivers do.

Maybe the Manhattan might be worth a look in the future, but not at it's present stage of price/functionality. I think they mean well but I'm not going to bet on the come, not sure if they are really pursuing the "SatGuy FTA user features". Nothing wrong with that, they have to decide what market segment(s) to pursue, you can't please everyone.

The only other possibility for me at this point is to see what SatAv comes out with, but I think that one is still a ways down the road.

Last edited:
I need to make a move before I lose interest again....lol
I think for the price and from what I have read, the Openbox seems like it will do pretty much everything I want it to. I don't care about sports feeds etc. so probably 4:2:2 is not a concern for me.

I need to make a move before I lose interest again....lol
I think for the price and from what I have read, the Openbox seems like it will do pretty much everything I want it to. I don't care about sports feeds etc. so probably 4:2:2 is not a concern for me.

I might use the AzBox more if my model (Elite) had blindscan capabilities. But even then, from what I have read, the AzBox models that do have blindscan capabilities are much slower than the Openbox. Maybe they are more thorough?

No matter what, you are looking at 2-3 hundred dollars difference in the pricing on new models, Openbox is the clear winner there. I think you have an Openbox dealer in Canada also, not sure about Az.

No matter where it comes from, I'm on the border so I can have it shipped to a friend in the States.

Well that should give you more purchase options with ability to avoid duties.

I saw NW Ontario listed as your location and my hillbilly geography had you living within sight of Hudson Bay. :D

Well that's better than folks who live "down east" around Toronto. They think Ontario ends somewhere around Sudbury.

It should be pointed out that, while the Openbox will not display 4:2:2, it WILL record 4:2:2 channels to the PVR drive. These files can be played back perfectly on a PC or some hardware media players, so if you don't mind not watching live, that can be a work-around.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)