Which Dual Tuner DVR to Buy?

Right now I have the DVR advantage plan, with the Top 200, plus local channels. It includes the DVR fee for the 625. My total bill per month is 49.99.
Sure enough, on the Dish website. a DVR Advantage pack as you described.

But, it gets better. If you click on the more information link, it take you to a new page with DVR-AP @ $39.99 but only 100 channels. No apparent way to order that package though.

My head is throbbing.

Thanks for the reply.
Hermit

NOT true at all - have 2 clients I know of bought them brand new off e-bay & own them, nor did they have ANY trouble activating them... ;);)

I believe he was referring to buying from Dish. I suspect many dealers have some leftovers for sale, and may be dumping them on eBay. That doesn't mean Dish will sell them any more. Or not. Don't forget the additional receiver fee, if you have more than one. That applies whether you own it or lease it. Buying might not make sense. This decision has to be looked at very carefully. That upfront lease fee, after the rebate, isn't much at all. And don't forget, you pay the DVR fee whether you own or lease, unless you have AEP. Or the DVR advantage plan- but that only makes sense if you have more than one, right?

Getting discouraged, one more question . . . smart cards?

Is the smart card in my 501 unique to me such that I could move it to a 721 or 625?

Or are the smart cards unique to each receiver and I would "register" the SC with Dish?

Or something else?

Thanks
Hermit

You have to get a current smart card from Dish, you may not put a smart card from one receiver into another. Any receiver you buy should have a smart card with it, or built into it. Something else to check. Dish will sell you a smart card, but I think the price varies. Then you have a card for the ONE receiver you put it into. I think it's similar for D*. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in here.

And don't forget, you pay the DVR fee whether you own or lease, unless you have AEP. Or the DVR advantage plan- but that only makes sense if you have more than one, right?
Ah... It only makes sense for one, not more than one. The DVR advantage non-fee only applies to your principal receiver. So you still must pay for additional DVRs.

On another topic, you can definitely buy 625's from Claude for $338 brand new not refurbished.