Which FTA Birds to aim for

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

marco916

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Sacramento
Hi FTA buddies, newbie here out of Sacramento, CA (95843) so I spent pretty much the 4th of July weekend mounting my 30” Winegard dish with DMS DSS LNB Model DSS822 plus DMS H-H motor. I finally got it locked on 97W I think it was, “Mostly 300 channels of scrambled Dish Network stations” So I’m happy I can at least hit a bird. With my LNB, what should I be aiming for from the Sacramento area, (95843) so I can show my wife I didn’t spend all this money for nothing :) I’m happy with pulling in anything, news feeds, network shows.

For the FTA box I’m using VisionSats IV200 PVR box, so far seems like a pretty cool box to setup, easy to navigate through.

Another question I have, I have a OTA Channel Master HD antenna on the roof I would like to utilize in conjunction with the Dish, do I need to route the that antenna connection into some type of switch box or does that need to be on it’s own separate line into the house so I can utilize my OTA digital boxes.

BTW, you guys have some great knowledge on this board, I tried to read trough some of the older posts on newbie's questions as much as I could between feeding the baby and and being on-call for the weekend.

Hi FTA buddies, newbie here out of Sacramento, CA (95843) so I spent pretty much the 4th of July weekend mounting my 30” Winegard dish with DMS DSS LNB Model DSS822 plus DMS H-H motor. I finally got it locked on 97W I think it was, “Mostly 300 channels of scrambled Dish Network stations” So I’m happy I can at least hit a bird. With my LNB, what should I be aiming for from the Sacramento area, (95843) so I can show my wife I didn’t spend all this money for nothing :) I’m happy with pulling in anything, news feeds, network shows.
the probalem is the LNB. If what you posted is what is on the LNB, then you have the wrong one. You need a KU Band LNBF for FTA, not a DSS one. DBS LNB will get you a few freebie channels on Dish 119 like NASA and Angel One but you needa KU Band LNB to get all the toher FTA out there :)

For the FTA box I’m using VisionSats IV200 PVR box, so far seems like a pretty cool box to setup, easy to navigate through.
good choice. I wonder which software version is in it? Visionsat did some upgrades so hopefully it has the newest in it.

Another question I have, I have a OTA Channel Master HD antenna on the roof I would like to utilize in conjunction with the Dish, do I need to route the that antenna connection into some type of switch box or does that need to be on it’s own separate line into the house so I can utilize my OTA digital boxes.
you can use diplexers to combine the FTA & OTA outside then split it back out to the digital box and the FTA box

You certainly won't get 300 channels of encrypted stuff on 97W. There is a fair bit of encrypted channels, but many are wide open for anybody to view. Most of them are international channels that are languages other than English. That's not to say there isn't anything interesting. Russia Today, Al Jazeera News, just to name a couple.

My wife and I watched some Chinese subtitled movie once that had a bunch of teenagers making fun of an elderly couple out on a date while on a subway. Pretty funny.

What are some of the names of the encrypted channels that you've got scanned? You might find you're not aimed at the satellite that you think you are.

Iceberg, and I thought I had it in the bag :) , Here's the LNB I have DSS822 from DMS International which KU band do you recommend, time to jump back on eBay, I might as well get a KU and C-band setup. I wouldn't mind getting some international channels for my wife who's Filipino. I think most of the Filipino channels are on C-band still, but they are hooked up with DirectTV. So they might be scrambled. I think SatteliteAV here in Roseville told me my VisionSat IV200 has been updated with the latest firmware when i picked it up two weeks ago, "SatteliteAV is close by to me here in Sac" so if anything is newer then that since last week, I don't have it updated yet. Crackincrotch I'm hoping to get some international channels, like to see whats going on else where around the world.

Yea, that's a circular LNB for the scrambled satellite service.
I'll wager you weren't aimed at 97º either, but one of the nearby satellites carrying scrambled stuff.

Since you are so close to SatelliteAV, here's a $10 solution you can pick up tomorrow, and avoid any shipping delays.
It's their Universal Mini LNB
Probably can't beat the price on eBay, either. - :cool:

edit
: oh, and as for something to aim at with your new LNB, how about this one to get your feet wet?
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=123+Galaxy+10R

Thanks Anole for the info, I was just looking at what Sadoun has online, but didn't see the MiniLNB for $10 bucks, can't beat that, I'll have to make a drive out there, actually would be cheaper to order online since gas is so much nowadays. Yea after about 6 beers Friday night, I stared to blind search, started on 97w, then I selected a few other birds close ot 97w, had to be something near by, the only thing that wasn't scrambled with menu of some type of the channels you could order. Out of curiosity, what does DishNetwork or DirectTV charge for getting their channels unscrabled. They were offering some package deal over the weekend for $29.00 a month, will they give a discount for using your own equipment.

To subscribe to Dish Network or DirecTV you need to use equipment built by them, FTA equipment can not be used to subscribe to their system.

Since FTA receivers can't even see the DirecTV signal (they use a proprietary MPEG stream instead of DVB), you were either picking up scrambled channels from Dish Network (110 or 119w) or ExpressVu Canada (82 or 91w). 97w is in between these, and you'll need to use the linear Ku LNB. As for the C-Band, you need at least a 6 foot dish to receive C-Band with any reliability, so for the dish you have you would only want a Ku LNB.

OTA Reception

Iceberg is right. You can use diplexers to combine the FTA & OTA outside then split (reverse diplex) it back out to the digital box and the FTA box. You will lose some signal strength, but it beats running another cable.

I looked up Antelope on antennapoint.com. You can receive 11 stations, all UHF and all on the same compose heading of 193° and all within 34 miles. If you can "see" in that compose heading from where you've installed your dish, you can get a "J" pole and piggyback the OTA antenna over the dish, avoiding running the OTA cable across your roof and increasing the length of your OTA cable, which will also cut into your signal strength.

Thanks all for the great info, my OTA antenna, I'm actually picking up about 20 channels that look really nice on the HD monitor at least 3 Spanish stations, PBS in HD, ION channel, Qubo channel for the kids, some religious channel, and this 24hrs music channel in HD. Even the non local HD channels look really good. My OTA antenna is already wired in runs opposite side of the house where my dish is mounted, but all the Coax meets up at the same spot, so I guess from there I can install the diplex splitter. Would it help any if I use one of these in line RCA Satellite Amps from the dish, it's supposed to give me 18db gain, I have an extra one laying around not in use. My cable run from the dish including the internal run within the house is gotta be at least 200 to 250feet of coax before it hits the FTA box. Would this inline amp benefit much??

The amplifier will amplify the signal that is received. It will also amplify the noise as well. Unless you're having issues with cable length, and you'd need a lot of cable, I don't think I'd bother using them.

That’s true, will amplify the noise as well. I'll leave it out and see how it works once I get the FTA box setup inside the house. I have another question guys, in order to receive FTA HD programming; I assume I will need a HD FTA box only?? or will I need to upgrade the LNB as well to receive HD programming. And by the way, I picked up a GeoSatPro universal LNB last night.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts