Which HDTV is better ?

I have had or have DLP, Plasma and LCD. I like the LCD better. Off center is not nearly has good as plasma but with a good wall mount, that is a easy fix.

Each type of TV has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Plasmas and DLPs will usually have deeper blacks. LCds don't handle extremely fast motion as well. LCDs will usually have less of a reflection problem than Plasmas and will work better in a brightly lit room. A lot really depends on room condition.

Lasers aren't out yet. The Mits is supposed to start shipping sometime in August and will be available at 65". We're supposed to get one within the next month or two. No price has been set yet.

Dlps are still the best bang for the buck.

S~

That's the question of the century, isn't it? Like anything else there are so many factors to consider... and only you can really figure out which one is the most important. There's price, of course, reflectivity, size -- oh yeah, black levels, viewing angle, motion blur, flicker/flutter. It's as dizzying as going to a big box retailer and looking at a wall of 20 TVs of the same size to figure out which one looks best.

Me? I looked at a ton of TVs and read a thousand different reviews of various models and sizes. I ended up with a plasma, for its deep blacks and awesome picture. But I've seen LCDs in friends' homes that were just as nice.

I currently have or have had CRT, CRT Projection, DLP, LCD 3 chip DLP, LCOS, LCD, front projector and Plasma. As stated before, they all have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer projectors, currently Panasonic Lifi DLP TV's because of their excellent blacks, long bulb life (possible the life of the TV) but most importantly the film like quality that plasma and LCD TV's don't have.

"BETTER" a very funny and peception based word. Some people think cheaper equals better; many think hype equals better; the fact is only YOU can determine what is best for you.

LCD then DLP PROJECTORS are the best bang for the buck. The are the smallest footprint and can show as small as 40" to over 200" all in less space than you likely beleive; they will fit almost ANYWHERE. They are the suppressed little secret of the HT world and rife with mis-info and BS from users and salespeople who just don't really know anything about them and stores that don't dare to sell them due to receiving "hype/buzz" and much higher markups from "tiny flat panels". Don't over-buy into the "flat panel hype"; don't buy into the BS myths about FPTV without getting the info first - check into FPTV before you spend your hard-earned money.

I agree it is way to hard to just say one technology is best. First you will need to tell us about the conditions in your room. Do you have a lot of light? Is it going to be a dedicated dark theater room? Is it a TV for the sun room? If there is a lot of light, does it fall on the TV? How much money do you want to spend? How big a TV do you think you need. How big is the space?

Describing the situation helps narrow down the list pretty quick. You would not want a front projector in a sun room with limited wall space, but it could be the ideal solution in a dedicated dark home theater (well fairly controlled light).

Each type of TV has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Plasmas and DLPs will usually have deeper blacks. LCds don't handle extremely fast motion as well. LCDs will usually have less of a reflection problem than Plasmas and will work better in a brightly lit room. A lot really depends on room condition.

Dlps are still the best bang for the buck.

S~

:up

Also, as Charper said, dont forget about projectors. I would have went projector if I had the room for it.

I agree it is way to hard to just say one technology is best. First you will need to tell us about the conditions in your room. Do you have a lot of light? Is it going to be a dedicated dark theater room? Is it a TV for the sun room? If there is a lot of light, does it fall on the TV? How much money do you want to spend? How big a TV do you think you need. How big is the space?

Describing the situation helps narrow down the list pretty quick. You would not want a front projector in a sun room with limited wall space, but it could be the ideal solution in a dedicated dark home theater (well fairly controlled light).

How about SD feed vs. HD feed? I have a 50" Toshiba 50H82 CRT projection that has very nice HD but the SD picture ranges from Pretty good to just plain crap. My 42" Samsung HL-S4266W DLP has a better pic with SD feeds. I also have a 15" LCD in my office that looks really good in SD (almost looks HD a times). So would Iexpect the same good SD picture on a 50" LCD? Or does PQ improve as screen size diminishes? Just looking for opinions. Thanx!

How about SD feed vs. HD feed? I have a 50" Toshiba 50H82 CRT projection that has very nice HD but the SD picture ranges from Pretty good to just plain crap. My 42" Samsung HL-S4266W DLP has a better pic with SD feeds. I also have a 15" LCD in my office that looks really good in SD (almost looks HD a times). So would Iexpect the same good SD picture on a 50" LCD? Or does PQ improve as screen size diminishes? Just looking for opinions. Thanx!

The more you blow up SD the worse it will look. SD on DBS providers appears to be optimized for around 25 inches. That being said, some sets have better electronics and do a better job of upscaling. It is not really easy finding reviews of the upscaling ability since most have given up trying to get a good picture on a big screen.

I must agree with Lovestowatch on this one. I purchased a Panny 1080p LiFi 2 months ago to replace a Hitachi plasma. I love the picture on this thing - very smooth and with excellent blacks. Of course, everyone has their preference. Do some research, visit a few retailers and see what looks best to you. You really can't go wrong with any of the current technolgies. Stick with the upper tier brands, though.

CRT>Plasma>Laser (DLP)>(bulb or LED) DLP~LCoS>LCD>RP LCD

in terms of general picture quality assuming all are top brands that are professionally calibrated.

If you have the space and the light control definitely consider a front projector!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts