Which one would you get

Funny, coming from a brain dead post.

As long as Panny and Sammy make plasmas, they are always a good choice.

Some 2nd- and 3rd tier brands like LG, Vizio, and Insignia still keep making them as well. Plasma's far from dead; just in need of reinventing itself and educating consumers in order to counter the push LCDs are getting in the marketplace.

Yeah, there sales were actually up. I think dollar for size, they still offer the best tv and will continue too as long as the top of the line sony and sammy lcd's are HIGH.

Some 2nd- and 3rd tier brands like LG, Vizio, and Insignia still keep making them as well. Plasma's far from dead; just in need of reinventing itself and educating consumers in order to counter the push LCDs are getting in the marketplace.

I'm not sure I would consider LG a second or third tier manufacturer. Vizio's sales numbers are pretty good too.

I think the "tier" rating on TV manufacturers has to do with the level of manufacture they're involved in. LG is first tier. Vizio is second tier, but sells a ton of TVs primarily through mass merchents. Manufacturers who primarily have their label slapped on a finished product would be considered 3rd tier.:D

My plasma TV tier ratings were purely subjective, based on reputed quality and favorable reviews for these brands, which would generally put Samsung and Panasonic (formerly Pioneer) at the top of the plasma heap, everything else being 2nd (LG, Vizio) and 3rd tier (Insignia).

Just set up an LCD 1080p for my 84 yr old Dad. I don't think it even comes close to plasma (my 720p)

We just bought a 55" Series-6 Samsung LED-edge-backlit LCD as opposed to the Samsung 55" plasma for one critical reason for me: it fits in my entertainment center. Plasma and most LCD's have a wider bezel than the new LED LCD sets from Samsung. Given the choice of a smaller Plasma or an LCD that equals the size of my Mits RPTV, I'll take the extra inches.

But if size weren't an issue, that Samsung plasma sure looked sweet! I'm still spooked about phosphor life, though.

We just bought a 55" Series-6 Samsung LED-edge-backlit LCD as opposed to the Samsung 55" plasma for one critical reason for me: it fits in my entertainment center. Plasma and most LCD's have a wider bezel than the new LED LCD sets from Samsung. Given the choice of a smaller Plasma or an LCD that equals the size of my Mits RPTV, I'll take the extra inches.

But if size weren't an issue, that Samsung plasma sure looked sweet! I'm still spooked about phosphor life, though.

The Sammy plasma may not have fit because it is 58" instead of 55";)

I am sure you will enjoy your new HDTV.:)

The Sammy plasma may not have fit because it is 58" instead of 55";)
Good Point! ;) All I knew was I had a 52" width limit, and most LCDs that would fit were under 52" screen size.
I am sure you will enjoy your new HDTV.:)
Thanks! There are a lot of changes necessary to support the new set, so it will take a while before it's totally at home. I'm looking forward to firing up the Blu-Ray and watching true 1080p movies!

Update: Turns out the HDMI connector on my ViP622 was bad. I need to swap it out with a replacement from Dish so that's on today's to-do list. I've copied off all of the programs on the internal disk that I want to save or haven't watched yet.

But, the picture on the Samsung is beautiful! It will look even better after I work with my Father-in-Law on a new center section for the entertainment center he build 8 years ago. Right now, it sits too far back in order for the stand to clear the front panel.

I also need to buy lots of longer S/P-DIF cables and some more HDMI cables. I was looking at CablesToGo, but I've seen a lot of people recommend Monoprice. The prices Monoprice have are crazy-low, which makes me worry how good they really are. But, they have a better selection of lengths which is good since I need some 12 and 18 foot lengths.

That was close! We bought the UN55B6000 on 8/1 and the Best Buy supplement in Sunday's paper had the same set for $100 less than what we paid. I went to our local h.h.gregg tonight and was able to get the difference refunded, plus I pointed out that BB's price included delivery, set-up, and recycling, so h.h.gregg made good and refunded that charge as well! :D

One more day and I would have been outside the 30 day price promise window. Phew!

I went ahead and got some cables from monoprice.com, plus they had a low-profile wall mount that will help mount the Samsung to the Entertainment center. It was on sale this weekend for $13.50. When I was at the h.h.gregg, they had the same style of mount for over $100.

Monoprice is the way to go. I've bought many different products there and they were all good quality and the best price around. We need more places like this. Enjoy your new setup.

BTW, a mini-review on the UNxxB line of TVs: The Info.Link feature works without any trickery. The sales-droid at BB said I needed the Wi-Fi USB dongle in order to connect to my home LAN, but all I did was plug in a CAT5 cable to the RJ45 Ethernet jack on the I/O panel of the TV. I was able to pull up my local weather, USA Today News and Sports, plus a Stock Market tracker. The News feed is the best of the three widgets, and all the widgets pop up with updated information within 2 seconds of pressing the Info.Link button.

I was able to upgrade the firmware in the set in under ten minutes, too.

I only mention this because the BB sales-droid said I needed the 7- or 8-series to get at the Internet. Those sets have more features, but if you just want a quick "what temperature is it?" the 6-series can answer that, too. If you need the DNLP (accessing media from a home server) then go with the more expensive sets.

BTW, a mini-review on the UNxxB line of TVs: The Info.Link feature works without any trickery. The sales-droid at BB said I needed the Wi-Fi USB dongle in order to connect to my home LAN, but all I did was plug in a CAT5 cable to the RJ45 Ethernet jack on the I/O panel of the TV. I was able to pull up my local weather, USA Today News and Sports, plus a Stock Market tracker. The News feed is the best of the three widgets, and all the widgets pop up with updated information within 2 seconds of pressing the Info.Link button.

I was able to upgrade the firmware in the set in under ten minutes, too.

I only mention this because the BB sales-droid said I needed the 7- or 8-series to get at the Internet. Those sets have more features, but if you just want a quick "what temperature is it?" the 6-series can answer that, too. If you need the DNLP (accessing media from a home server) then go with the more expensive sets.

You know better than to listen to BB droids!

How do you like your Monoprice cables?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)