White Springs is missing again

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dee_Ann,

Yes, it is always good policy to research every avenue first (before jumping to any conclusions). I lost all my signals the other day. I thought something was severely wrong with my new receiver. The motor would move, but I detected NO signal at all from any sats. I was double checking all my settings and all seemed fine! I was getting a bit flustered at first, since I could not find anything wrong.

I went out to examine the dish and motor (I thought the motor may have been faulted out and not moving at first). When I got out to the dish I found the RG-11 cable disconnected from the LNBF! :eek:

I humorously blamed my brother (just kidding him) for disconnecting it to mess with me. I know he didn't do that, but I had to try to give him a bad time anyway.

I don't quite understand how it came disconnected on its own, but it did. Good thing it didn't harm anything when it came loose.

I thought you might find this a bit humorous and possibly enlightening (i.e. you never know what can happen).

RADAR

LOL!!

Well, my first thought was that perhaps I hit the dish with the riding lawnmower, again. I've done that before. Or maybe that I had run over the wire with the mower and cut it or ripped it out. Done that before too. :eek:

Because it was showing no signal at all I assumed it was my doing. And then as I sat there pressing buttons on the remote, I thought that maybe they had something broken or worse, had shut down like all those channels did after that Equity thing. :mad: (still mad about that!)

I was relieved to find out that it was none of the above and just something sort of broken with them and they are working on it. Maybe someone spilled coffee in a machine?

Well, can't check on them now, I'm recording Vampire Diaries from local OTA for my BFF.

Oh, and I found some parts to hopefully get a better OTA antenna going.
One was a 2gh splitter thingie and a "transformer" :confused: for hooking the cable to the antenna properly.

I bought an HDTV from my girlfriend because her she left an abusive relationship and needed some cash to live on. She sold me a Vizio 32" tv for $300. I checked and found the going price for them is about $300-$350.
She was going to sell it at a pawn shop for $125. I stopped her in time and did the best I could to help her out.

The best part? She got $300 for the TV and still gets to enjoy it because she's staying with me now for as long as she needs to get on her feet again. :angel:

Dumping it in a pawn shop for so cheap would have been just silly. :(

Now if I can just teach her how to operate this home theater stuff.
She thinks I'm some uber goddess of electronic stuff. Hahaha!! :rolleyes:
I am soooooooo far from it... I fumble through this stuff at 1/100th the pace as you guys. I'm just too hard headed to give up. I keep at it until dumb luck smiles upon me and I accidentally make something work.

fline1.gif

this is getting old:

Did a search, and couldn't find any news announcement on the problem.
I checked one of WSTV's outlets, KFLA, and don't much like the way they've phrased the problem.
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Whitesprings Television Network Notice -
Whitesprings TV ceased broadcasting September 30th.
It is unknown when or if they will return to the air.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Or to put it another way - what do they know that we don't know?

Did a search, and couldn't find any news announcement on the problem.
I checked one of WSTV's outlets, KFLA, and don't much like the way they've phrased the problem.

Or to put it another way - what do they know that we don't know?

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]8.2 Whitesprings Television Network Notice - Whitesprings TV ceased broadcasting September 30th.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Great.. Yeah that figures huh? Has Equity had their fingers in that pie too? :mad:

Funny thing, White Springs removed their notice from their webpage about being down for problems. It looks like their old usual page.

Oh wait! Could it be that maybe the cable and pay satellite companies are strongarming these FTA stations off the air? Shall we start a conspiracy theory thread?

Can anyone email or call them and ask them what is going on? The guess game is no fun. Frankly, I'm a bit peeved considering how much h*ll I went through to get a dish set up and working for this channel. :rant:

Oh, and I know this is off topic but I didn't find the OTA section to be very helpful but is the little thing in the picture the right thing to hook an antenna outside to my tv card? I mean, will it work for this new digital tv? :confused:

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2681.JPG
    IMG_2681.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 81
I was just about to post that WhiteSprings web page had changed again, but I see Dee beat me to it. - :up
I'm not sure it's the same wording they had before.
Wonder what they are up to? And why not post it publically?
ATTENTION WHITE SPRINGS TELEVISION NETWORK AFFILIATES
Please contact wxxx@aol.com - KU - for delivery information
Thank you for using the White Springs Television Network.
PS to Dee: yes, that matching transformer changes 300 ohm twinlead to coax.
Generally you hook to the spade lugs to the screws on an antenna.

I was just about to post that WhiteSprings web page had changed again, but I see Dee beat me to it. - :up
I'm not sure it's the same wording they had before.
Wonder if now they want to try delivering over the internet, or just what they are up to?
PS to Dee: yes, that matching transformer changes 300 ohm twinlead to coax.
It's generally what you use to hook to the screws on an antenna (the little spade lungs)

Cool! TY!! :)

OMG.. I just noticed they have an AOL email address.
1. How amateurish for a COMPANY to have an AOL address.
2. AOL went bye bye, did it not?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dear White Springs, please come back, we'll stop ridiculing you... I promise.. :(

OH! One other thing. Does anyone know the TIME they ceased broadcasting? As in the hour and the minute?
If they stopped at a straight up hour like 12:00pm or 12:00 midnight, I would suspect an intentional shutdown.
If the hour and minute was somewhat random like 7:37pm then that would seem more like an unintentional incident.
Let the conspiracy theory machine begin!

I googled for white springs and confined it to the past 7 days. Nothing shows up of interest.
Wikipedia says nothing either, and nothing in wiki says the satellite burned up or something.
I check their affiliate websites and only the one previously mentioned says anything about the outage.
I guess I'll try that new Bing search next.

Oh, and their internet video, doesn't run at all on my non-windows pc's. :mad: :rant: :mad: :rant: :mad: :rant: :mad:

Last edited:
turbosat mentions 9/30 at 6:30PM when first reported so since he was watching it I'll go with sometime on 9/30 :)

Nope-it didn't die off while I was watching. That just happened to be the time I switched over to catch some cartoons before the 7pm move. I'm assuming the Giant Leeches lost, but since I didn't get to see the movie, I may never know for sure.

edit: I totally missed that clue>dropping off the air on Sept 30th must not've been a coincidence nor uplink trouble.

Last edited:
I bet they lied.
Here's what I find on their home page now:
ATTENTION WHITE SPRINGS TELEVISION NETWORK AFFILIATES
Please contact removed e-mail address - KU - for delivery information
Thank you for using the White Springs Television Network.
For technical contact information please see our engineering page. Please check back daily for additional information on this change over. When you have completed this change please e-mail Affiliates@WhiteSprings.TV

What you bet they've gone internet-only now?

hope they still live on satellite:

I never liked their crummy programming content, nor the scratchy video they ran.
Their actual bit rate wasn't too bad.
If you ever noticed a decent looking commercial, that was their actual quality!
Not the junk video they chose to telecast.

BUT, as a neat test channel for little dishes, you could get 'em on some paperclips and a foil gum wrapper! - :eek:
(mostly due to their conservative FEC)
And for that, I really appreciated 'em! - :up

I actually liked a lot of their content. And the low quality just added to the nostalgic atmosphere. A lot of that stuff used to be on late night TV when I was growing up. As to the westerns, they can trash all those. Testosterone fueled murder sprees is all westerns are about. No thanks. There's too much killing in the real world. Why do people need even more of it in their homes?

I wish all programming with violent content should be banned, period.

But White Springs, I do wish they would come clean and spill the beans on what really is happening. :(

One of our Denver OTA digital stations has White Springs on one of their subchannels. I didn't check earlier but it is there right now (9:30 pm Eastern) with video but no audio. I wonder how they are getting it...

This may be rather elementary to ask, but since White Springs has always encouraged FTA viewing, would it be that hard to try to find someone that might know something and just ask them?..I suspect since they recently changed transponders, their plan at the time at least was to stay with KuBand FTA..All they can do is say "We can't tell you"..

I'd love to find somebody to ask! It would seem to me, that an equipment failure would've been repaired/replaced with overnight shipping available from more than one service these days.
I just remember what happened to equity when they couldn't pay the satellite bill, I do hope they come back.

Email I just sent to White Springs.

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

Dear sirs,
I am a White Springs TV fan and watch it often on my home satellite tv system.
I noticed that your satellite tv signal is gone from the air for the past few days and I have seen various comments and speculations as to the cause.

A day or so back you had a notice on your webpage that there was a techincal difficulty and that your engineers are working on it and should be back soon.
However that message is now removed from your page and a somewhat more cryptic message has taken it's place.

The thing that alarms me the most is the message that was found on one of your affiliate (KFLA) webpages that reads as follows:

Whitesprings Television Network Notice -
Whitesprings TV ceased broadcasting September 30th.

Are you guys shutting down? Did Equity get their fingers in y'alls pie too?

I know you have an internet feed but I am unable to watch it because it is a Windows Media stream and I (and many others) do not use windows computers and have no access to the windows media player.

Is there any way you can shed some light on the matter? Please tell us you'll be back on the satellite soon! Please? So many of us do miss you.

Thanks so much!
Dee Ann #######

Well, now I just wait and see.
I sent the email because on their website they do openly encourage home viewers to use FTA satellite stuff to watch them for free. So it's not like they are going to slap their foreheads and suddenly realize people at home were watching them.

:( Sigh.......

fline1.gif

A few things come to mind about your email. How do you know they are sirs? Could be a mix of men and women. Also more than likely they will have no idea what your are referring to when you mention Equity. One last thing...did you donate to them towards their satelitte/internet bills? I haven't because I don't watch their ancient channel. Sorry to be harsh but some of these low budget FTA channels really need viewer support. Just a matter of time in my opinon and their internet bills will catch up with them too. :smug

A few things come to mind about your email. How do you know they are sirs? Could be a mix of men and women. Also more than likely they will have no idea what your are referring to when you mention Equity. One last thing...did you donate to them towards their satelitte/internet bills? I haven't because I don't watch their ancient channel. Sorry to be harsh but some of these low budget FTA channels really need viewer support. Just a matter of time in my opinon and their internet bills will catch up with them too. :smug

Oh oh.. I boo boo'ed. I *assumed* it was all men running things there. I guess I should have thought it out more carefully. I saw a channel on the 97 galaxy whatever with a young lady giving some sort of instruction class on how to operate some very, very high tech stuff. I mean like real rocket science stuff. I was so impressed and so pleased to see a sister teaching something so complicated like that. And she knew everything by heart, like it was second nature to her. Wow!
I just wish I could be as smart as her! Sigh.....

Anyway....

So as to the donation. I didn't know you could do that. :confused:
I never once saw anything on their webpage about them asking for or needing donations. If they would put a donate button on there I would do so..

I know WS isn't everyone's cup of tea but for just as many people, it is. Sure, some of it is "yuk" but plenty of it is pretty cool.
And Halloween is coming up so I would think this month they would be showing lots of OLD spooky movies. I like the old movies because there's no sex or violence in them. New movies are nothing but pure sex and violence. No thanks. I don't like much of anything that's new.

If new stuff is your bag I would suggest you subscribe to one of the pay satellites or cable tv. Nothing but _c_r_a_p_ on the pay channels, in my opinion.

I guess you don't like oldies or White Springs for that matter so I'm really baffled as to why you even bothered to comment here? :confused:
No offense intended of course.. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts